From: Oliver Bandel
Subject: Common Lisp on Linux?
Hi, Lisp-ers,

I'm new to Lisp and was astouned, that LISP
is - with Common Lisp - ANSI-standard since 1994.

Well, so I'm now looking for a ANSI-compliant
Comon Lisp-Implementation, running on Linux.
I prefer free tools.

I heard of CMUCL. Is that a complete and Common-Lisp-Environment?

Ciao,
   Oliver

P.S.: Which books one should read as introduction into Common Lisp?

P.P.S.: I didn't saw a FAQ in this newsgroup. Is there any?
--
Thus inexactness is a contagious property of a number.
                                                  (R5RS)

From: Colin Walters
Subject: Re: Common Lisp on Linux?
Oliver Bandel <······@first.in-berlin.de> writes:

> Well, so I'm now looking for a ANSI-compliant Comon
> Lisp-Implementation, running on Linux.  I prefer free tools.
>
> I heard of CMUCL. Is that a complete and Common-Lisp-Environment?

Yes, you can get CMUCL at no cost from
<URL:http://www.cons.org/cmucl>.  It is also free software.

I'm not sure what you mean by "complete", but it does claim to be ANSI
compliant.
From: Raymond Toy

    Colin> Oliver Bandel <······@first.in-berlin.de> writes:
    >> Well, so I'm now looking for a ANSI-compliant Comon
    >> Lisp-Implementation, running on Linux.  I prefer free tools.
    >>
    >> I heard of CMUCL. Is that a complete and Common-Lisp-Environment?

    Colin> Yes, you can get CMUCL at no cost from
    Colin> <URL:http://www.cons.org/cmucl>.  It is also free software.

    Colin> I'm not sure what you mean by "complete", but it does claim to be ANSI
    Colin> compliant.

I don't think it makes any such claims, and is, in fact, not ANSI
compliant (whatever that means).

On the other hand, it is pretty close to ANSI.

Is any Lisp out there (free or commercial) really, really ANSI
compliant?  And if it is, how do you know?  Is there a compliancy test
suite or something?

Ray
From: Colin Walters
Raymond Toy <···@rtp.ericsson.se> writes:

> I don't think it makes any such claims, and is, in fact, not ANSI
> compliant (whatever that means).

I assumed that's what :ansi-cl and :x3j13 in *features* meant.
From: Hannah Schroeter
Hello!

In article <··························@meta.verbum.org>,
Colin Walters  <·········@cis.ohio-state.edu> wrote:
>Raymond Toy <···@rtp.ericsson.se> writes:

>> I don't think it makes any such claims, and is, in fact, not ANSI
>> compliant (whatever that means).

>I assumed that's what :ansi-cl and :x3j13 in *features* meant.

Hey, all of clisp -a, sbcl, ecls assert ":ansi-cl" in *features*,
however, none asserts :x3j13. However, CMU/SBCL folk state that
neither of clisp or ecls are enough ANSI compliant to bootstrap
CMUCL/SBCL.

Kind regards,

Hannah.
From: ····@arrakis.es
In article <············@c3po.schlund.de>,
  ······@schlund.de (Hannah Schroeter) wrote:
> Hey, all of clisp -a, sbcl, ecls assert ":ansi-cl" in *features*,
> however, none asserts :x3j13. However, CMU/SBCL folk state that
> neither of clisp or ecls are enough ANSI compliant to bootstrap
> CMUCL/SBCL.

In the case of ecls it is a historical mistake: :ansi-cl was used in ecl as a
feature to conditionally include some useful ansi components, such as the
LOOP and DEFPACKAGES macro. It no longer makes sense and in the next release
--unfortunately delayed because of my PhD thesis-- it will be temporally
removed until ecls gets reasonably compliant.

Regards
   Juanjo

--
Juan Jose Garcia Ripoll www: http://matematicas.uclm.es/~jjgarcia/
Dpto. de Matematicas job: ········@ind-cr.uclm.es

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/
From: Oliver Bandel
Raymond Toy <···@rtp.ericsson.se> wrote:

>     Colin> Oliver Bandel <······@first.in-berlin.de> writes:
>     >> Well, so I'm now looking for a ANSI-compliant Comon
>     >> Lisp-Implementation, running on Linux.  I prefer free tools.
>     >>
>     >> I heard of CMUCL. Is that a complete and Common-Lisp-Environment?

>     Colin> Yes, you can get CMUCL at no cost from
>     Colin> <URL:http://www.cons.org/cmucl>.  It is also free software.

>     Colin> I'm not sure what you mean by "complete", but it does claim to be ANSI
>     Colin> compliant.

> I don't think it makes any such claims, and is, in fact, not ANSI
> compliant (whatever that means).

> On the other hand, it is pretty close to ANSI.

> Is any Lisp out there (free or commercial) really, really ANSI
> compliant?  And if it is, how do you know?  Is there a compliancy test
> suite or something?

And if... is it written in Lisp?
And if, must it be written in Common Lisp,
or atandardized/checked in an other way, maybe by a program.
And if that program exists... is it surely giving you the
guarantee, that it detects all non-compliance of...

Ciao,
   Oliver

--
Remember, Information is not knowledge; Knowledge is not Wisdom;
Wisdom is not truth; Truth is not beauty; Beauty is not love;
From: glauber
In article <··············@rtp.ericsson.se>,

[...]

> Is any Lisp out there (free or commercial) really, really ANSI
> compliant?  And if it is, how do you know?  Is there a compliancy test
> suite or something?

[...]

Well, ANSI is huge and i suppose a few obscure points in it are still
debatable, so i highly doubt anything "out there" implements 100% of the
standard. But even CLISP (when invoked with -a) is pretty darn close, good
enough for stiffs like me.

Glauber Ribeiro
··········@my-deja.com    http://www.myvehiclehistoryreport.com
"Opinions stated are my own and not representative of Experian"

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/
From: Friedrich Dominicus
Oliver Bandel <······@first.in-berlin.de> writes:

> Hi, Lisp-ers,
>
> I'm new to Lisp and was astouned, that LISP
> is - with Common Lisp - ANSI-standard since 1994.
>
> Well, so I'm now looking for a ANSI-compliant
> Comon Lisp-Implementation, running on Linux.
> I prefer free tools.

Now I prefer LispWorks which comes in "different" flavours. I started
with the personal edition but bought the professional version
later. I'm quit happy wiht it you might give it a try
See
www.xanalys.com

> Ciao,
>    Oliver
>
> P.S.: Which books one should read as introduction into Common Lisp?

A lot of people suggest "ANSI Common Lisp" from Paul Graham.
I have to admit I prefer Object Oriented Common Lisp (despite the name
it is not just about OO programming) There are a lot of examples,
excercises etc. I do think this is quit good to start with.

Regards
Friedrich
From: Francis Leboutte
Friedrich Dominicus <·····@q-software-solutions.com> wrote:

>> P.S.: Which books one should read as introduction into Common Lisp?
>
>A lot of people suggest "ANSI Common Lisp" from Paul Graham.
>I have to admit I prefer Object Oriented Common Lisp (despite the name
>it is not just about OO programming) There are a lot of examples,
>excercises etc. I do think this is quit good to start with.

I agree, in my opinion this is the only book you can't miss, if you want to deal with OO
design and CLOS programming. However it is not an introduction to CL : here you have a
choice (see www.alu.org). I like most of them including the one of Stephen Slade, OO
Common Lisp. There are on-line free books:

- Successful Lisp by David Lamkins : http://psg.com/%7Edlamkins/left/sl/sl.html
- Basic Lisp Techniques , a comprehensive Common Lisp book by David Cooper, Jr. (Adobe
Acrobat PDF format, 577KB) : see www.Franz.com or my home page
- Common Lisp: A Gentle Introduction to Symbolic Computation by David S. Touretzky ,
http://www.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs.cmu.edu/user/dst/www/LispBook/index.html

--
Francis Leboutte  www.algo.be  +32-(0)4.388.39.19
Visit www.climatevoice.org and take action
From: Francis Leboutte
Francis Leboutte <··········@algo.be> wrote:

>Friedrich Dominicus <·····@q-software-solutions.com> wrote:

>>> P.S.: Which books one should read as introduction into Common Lisp?
>>
>>A lot of people suggest "ANSI Common Lisp" from Paul Graham.
>>I have to admit I prefer Object Oriented Common Lisp (despite the name
>>it is not just about OO programming) There are a lot of examples,
>>excercises etc. I do think this is quit good to start with.
>
>I agree, in my opinion this is the only book you can't miss, if you want to deal with OO
>design and CLOS programming.

Sorry, I had read and you should understand Object Oriented _Programming in_ Common Lisp
(Sonya E. Keene). It was probably too early for me to read and write in English...

From: Holger Schauer
Hallo Oliver,

(with-german
  "schoen einen weiteren bekannten Namen in unbekannte Gewaesser wechseln
   zu sehen. Scheme wird hier uebrigens nicht als Lisp gesehen." :-)

 OB> Well, so I'm now looking for a ANSI-compliant Comon
 OB> Lisp-Implementation, running on Linux.  I prefer free tools.
 OB> I heard of CMUCL. Is that a complete and Common-Lisp-Environment?

AFAIK: not quite. I think PCL, the CLOS implementation still lacks
some possibilities. Somebody corrects me on this one,
please. Otherwise, it depends on what you're talking about with
"complete". Languagewise it should by now conform mainly to the ANSI
CL standard. Things like an Emacs-like editor are also included. On
the other hand, it doesn't come with CLIM.

 OB> P.S.: Which books one should read as introduction into Common
 OB> Lisp?

Definitely "ANSI Common Lisp" by Paul Graham. There's also a German
version available, also published by Prentice Hall. Have a look at
www.lisp.de, somewhere on these pages you'll find more info on this
version. Given that you're familiar with a set of languages, that's
definitely the book to go.

 OB> P.P.S.: I didn't saw a FAQ in this newsgroup. Is there any?

No up-to-date version, AFAICT. There used to be one which is still
archieved at CMU, though:
http://www.cs.cmu.edu/Groups/AI/html/faqs/lang/lisp/top.html

Holger

--
---          http://www.coling.uni-freiburg.de/~schauer/            ---
"A difference between computers and cars is that computers usually
From: George Smith
Oliver Bandel <······@first.in-berlin.de> writes:

[...]
> Well, so I'm now looking for a ANSI-compliant
> Comon Lisp-Implementation, running on Linux.
> I prefer free tools.
>
> I heard of CMUCL. Is that a complete and Common-Lisp-Environment?
[...]

I am very happily using cmucl run as an emacs subprocess on linux.

You can find more information on cmucl here:

	http://www.cons.org/cmucl/

I found the EncyCMUCLopedia extremely helpful in getting things
set up. You can find that here:

Contained within the EncyCMUCLopedia is a document described as
follows:

	"CMU Common Lisp on Linux, currently in draft form,
	explains to beginners how to set up, configure and
	use a Common Lisp programming environment based on
	CMU CL and the Emacs editor under Linux."

The latest version is here:

	http://www.telent.net/lisp/howto.html

I followed the instructions there to get things set up. The
suggestion there is to use the debian packages. As I don't have
debian myself, I ran into a problem which was easily solveable.
The solution is documented in the comp.lang.lisp thread
"cmucl on linux". If you search deja.news for "cmucl" and "linux"
you'll find some other platform specific threads.

In the end, setting things up was easy, it works great, it's
'free', it's fast...

Also, don't miss the ALU (Association of Lisp Users) site:

	http://www.lisp.org/table/contents.htm

Hope this helps,

George Smith
······@bloomfield.phil1.uni-potsdam.de
Institut fuer Germanistik
Universitaet Potsdam
From: Paolo Amoroso
On 31 Jan 2001 10:37:35 +0100, George Smith <······@rz.uni-potsdam.de>
wrote:

> I found the EncyCMUCLopedia extremely helpful in getting things

I will soon start updating it. Yes, I know that I have already said it a
couple of times, but got distracted by other stuff.

Paolo
From: glauber
In article <·········@first.in-berlin.de>,
  Oliver Bandel <······@first.in-berlin.de> wrote:

> Hi, Lisp-ers,
>
> I'm new to Lisp and was astouned, that LISP
> is - with Common Lisp - ANSI-standard since 1994.
>
> Well, so I'm now looking for a ANSI-compliant
> Comon Lisp-Implementation, running on Linux.
> I prefer free tools.

CLISP works fine for me, especially used inside emacs. I like it because
i can have the same system running in any version of Unix and Windoze.
See http://www.alu.org/table/systems.htm#clisp

[...]

> P.S.: Which books one should read as introduction into Common Lisp?

ANSI Common Lisp by Paul Graham has helped me a lot.

Good Luck!

glauber

From: glauber
In article <············@nnrp1.deja.com>,
  glauber <··········@my-deja.com> wrote:
[...]
> CLISP works fine for me, especially used inside emacs. I like it because
> i can have the same system running in any version of Unix and Windoze.
> See http://www.alu.org/table/systems.htm#clisp
[..]

One thing i forgot to mention: you must use the -a parameter so CLISP behaves
according to ANSI.

From: ········@hex.net
Oliver> Well, so I'm now looking for a ANSI-compliant Comon
Oliver> Lisp-Implementation, running on Linux.  I prefer free tools.

Oliver> I heard of CMUCL. Is that a complete and
Oliver> Common-Lisp-Environment?

It's pretty good.  You might also find CLISP to be of interest; it
doesn't compile to native code, but runs on a whole lot of platforms,
which makes it more useful, in its own way.

Oliver> P.S.: Which books one should read as introduction into Common
Oliver> Lisp?

One of the best intros is Paul Graham's _ANSI Common Lisp_.  A book
that presents an ambitious set of examples is Norvig's _Paradigms of
Artificial Intelligence Programming: Case Studies in Common Lisp_.

The former is, well, "introductory."  The latter has some meaty
examples of significant programs written in CL.

For reference, Guy Steele's _Common Lisp: The Language_ is quite
wonderful, and you should also look to the Common Lisp HyperSpec.
CLTL2 is available both in paper form, from Digital Press, and as
HTML; the HyperSpec is available in HTML.
--
(concatenate 'string "aa454" ·@freenet.carleton.ca")
http://vip.hex.net/~cbbrowne/lisp.html