From: Jochen Schmidt
Subject: Re: comp.lang.lisp.revenge?
G I Gunmaker wrote:

> Now that Rainer Joswig and Erik Naggum have quieted down and this whole
> disgusting debacle is hopefully nearing an end, I'd like to make a simple
> comment.   Early in the war, Rainer made a stink about some personal mail
> that Erik had sent him a long time ago.  I sort of remember that because
> it
> was so wild.  What does old personal mail have to do in a newsgroup?  The
> purpose of a newsgroup is to make giant minds clash in entertaining ways,
> it seems, but Rainer wanted _revenge_ in public for some private matter,
> and dug up as much irrelevant dirt as he could.  Character assassination
> like that is neither a giant mind at work nor very entertaining, is it?
> Why do so many people accept it?
>
> Rainer is not alone, though.  Just watching some of the recent flamewars,
> it's clear that ganging up on Erik is a fair and just and legitimate sport
> in this newsgroup, but I'm left with this sinking feeling that those who
> do it have no more noble a purpose than to get revenge for something or
> other. I don't care to read about revengeful people, especially not about
> those
> who have to dredge up old, hard feelings to fuel their own flames.  I
> don't care to read about some revengeful little man who uses "netiquette"
> to get
> his revenge, either.  That's a flagrant violation of netiquette just
> there!
>
> Since so many people need to use comp.lang.lisp to take revenge over Erik,
> maybe we could get a newsgroup for them?  I suggest
> comp.lang.lisp.revenge,
> moderated.  I nominate Rainer for moderator, so Erik wouldn't be allowed
> post any of his vitriolic defenses.  They only make more people want more
> revenge, and there's no point letting him defend himself, anyway, since
> none of the revengers care what they do to him.  Left to themselves, the
> revengeful mob could then freely post the most tasteless personal attacks
> with impunity and assassinate Erik's character completely.  Maybe they'll
> manage to get it out of their system, eventually, too.  (But who cares?)
>
> And _maybe_ we could talk about Lisp here among people who don't have such
> an irritating problem separating the public from the private domains.

Sorry I can't help but this is absolute bullshit - not only are you trying
to throw a torch into a tank of fuel you are also making prejudiced
assumptions upon people (Erik, Rainer and all other Participants)
Maybe you think in terms of "revenge", but as I have seen it neither Erik
nor Rainer try to take "revenge" for anything done to them. They are
expressing their opinions very heated - ok but that is something completely
different.
What I miss in your post is a more explicit "IMHO" as your assumptions are
all other than facts - this is what _I_ learned from this discussion maybe
you learn it too someday.

It's a thing between Erik and Rainer and I don't think it is any good to
mix into this dispute when you not feel personaly attacked.

Counting collaborateurs does not get us any further and I for my part have
heard enough opinons on that topic that I can clearly say that I don't need
_your_ opinions.

If this post has attacked any of your feelings, feel free to open YET
ANOTHER OFF TOPIC TOPLEVEL THREAD (YAOTTT ?) To bash me down.

Regards,

Jochen
From: Rainer Joswig
In article <··············@ID-22205.news.dfncis.de>, Jochen Schmidt
<···@dataheaven.de> wrote:

> [...]
> nor Rainer try to take "revenge" for anything done to them. They are
> expressing their opinions very heated - ok but that is something completely
> different.
> What I miss in your post is a more explicit "IMHO" as your assumptions are
> all other than facts - this is what _I_ learned from this discussion maybe
> you learn it too someday.
>
> It's a thing between Erik and Rainer and I don't think it is any good to
> mix into this dispute when you not feel personaly attacked.
>
> Counting collaborateurs does not get us any further and I for my part have
> heard enough opinons on that topic that I can clearly say that I don't need
> _your_ opinions.
>
> If this post has attacked any of your feelings, feel free to open YET
> ANOTHER OFF TOPIC TOPLEVEL THREAD (YAOTTT ?) To bash me down.

Jochen, it was Erik. He was forging his name...

--
Rainer Joswig, Hamburg, Germany
Email: ·············@corporate-world.lisp.de