From: ······@corporate-world.lisp.de
Subject: Re: comp.lang.lisp.revenge?
In article <················@point-blank.org>,
  Erik Naggum <····@point-blank.org> wrote:
> Now that Rainer Joswig and Erik Naggum have quieted down and this whole
> disgusting debacle is hopefully nearing an end, I'd like to make a simple
> comment.   Early in the war, Rainer made a stink about some personal mail
> that Erik had sent him a long time ago.  I sort of remember that because it
> was so wild.

Dejanews will help you to remember my remark a bit more like
just "sort of". How about a quote of it?

>  What does old personal mail have to do in a newsgroup?  The
> purpose of a newsgroup is to make giant minds clash in entertaining ways,
> it seems, but Rainer wanted _revenge_ in public for some private matter,
> and dug up as much irrelevant dirt as he could.  Character assassination
> like that is neither a giant mind at work nor very entertaining, is it?
> Why do so many people accept it?
>
> Rainer is not alone, though.  Just watching some of the recent flamewars,
> it's clear that ganging up on Erik is a fair and just and legitimate sport
> in this newsgroup, but I'm left with this sinking feeling that those who do
> it have no more noble a purpose than to get revenge for something or other.
> I don't care to read about revengeful people, especially not about those
> who have to dredge up old, hard feelings to fuel their own flames.  I don't
> care to read about some revengeful little man who uses "netiquette" to get
> his revenge, either.  That's a flagrant violation of netiquette just there!
>
> Since so many people need to use comp.lang.lisp to take revenge over Erik,
> maybe we could get a newsgroup for them?  I suggest comp.lang.lisp.revenge,
> moderated.  I nominate Rainer for moderator, so Erik wouldn't be allowed to
> post any of his vitriolic defenses.  They only make more people want more
> revenge, and there's no point letting him defend himself, anyway, since
> none of the revengers care what they do to him.  Left to themselves, the
> revengeful mob could then freely post the most tasteless personal attacks
> with impunity and assassinate Erik's character completely.  Maybe they'll
> manage to get it out of their system, eventually, too.  (But who cares?)
>
> And _maybe_ we could talk about Lisp here among people who don't have such
> an irritating problem separating the public from the private domains.
>
> --
> ········@point-blank.org.  We aim to please.

Hey, this is a weird message if I've ever seen one.

Do we have two Eriks?
Erik talking about Erik in the third person?
AI at work?

Let's see what whois says:

  $ whois -h whois.networksolutions.com POINT-BLANK.ORG

  [...]

  Registrant:
  NAGGUM SOFTWARE (POINT-BLANK4-DOM)
     Boks 1570 Vika
     NO, Oslo N-0982
     NO
     NO

     Domain Name: POINT-BLANK.ORG

     Administrative Contact:
        Naggum, Erik  (EN9)  ····@NAGGUM.NO
        Naggum Software

  [...]

     Record last updated on 08-Jan-2001.
     Record expires on 27-Dec-2001.
     Record created on 27-Dec-2000.
     Database last updated on 26-Jan-2001 09:51:26 EST.

  [...]

Hmm...

Rainer Joswig

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

From: Peter Wood
······@corporate-world.lisp.de writes:

> Do we have two Eriks?
> Erik talking about Erik in the third person?
> AI at work?

C'mon, Rainer!  Everyone knows "Erik Naggum" is an AI program written
by Kent Pitman.  I thought you guys were testing it in this thread.

(No sentient being would have made that silly remark about Kant's
"thing in itself".  Back to the drawing board, eh, Kent?)

Regards,
Peter

Ps. Don't feed the lawyers; they just lose their fear of humans.
From: Rainer Joswig
In article <················@naggum.net>, Erik Naggum <····@naggum.net>
wrote:

> * ······@corporate-world.lisp.de
> | Hey, this is a weird message if I've ever seen one.
>
>   Well, it worked about _half_ its magic.  Pity _you_ saw it, though.

No magic, no fun - just sadness.

>   Since this here incredibly annoying news program won't help me lie about
>   my identity even though I _own_ the goddamn machine it runs on, let me
>   just crack it all open.  With clever little boys who actually know how to
>   invoke the whois service and who have just enough smarts to post the
>   result, taking the fun out of everyhing for everybody like clever little
>   boys always do, I might as well chip in and take away the rest of the
>   fun.  Here's what I intended the stupid losing From header to look like.
>   [Those of you prejudiced fools who have by now demonstrated that you know
>   much better than I do what I _intended_ to do, should post your moronic
>   rejoinders to the proposed new newsgroup instead of here, thank you.]
>
> From: G I Gunmaker <········@point-blank.org>
>
>   Now for the extra big surprise that will astonish everybody with its wit:
>   That's an _anagram_ of my name!  Gee, was _I_ hiding behind that?  Let's
>   ask Rainer, the brilliant little boy genius who is just _one_ notch too
>   smart for his own good.  Would he get it if he couldn't find an anagram
>   server on the Net to help him expose the fun for everybody else?

You were using the same newsreader (-> same headers), the same newsserver
(-> message-id, path), a real email-domain (-> MX records), the same language
and formatting, the content and speech, the gun reference, the
stupid "From: " mistake, ...

When there was ever a lame attempt to forge a Usenet presence, then it was
this. Do you have others - more clever - going? I was suspecting one
(similar headers, Norway in the path) - but for now I don't know.

>   The really sad part is that trying to have fun with you morons is such a
>   drag.  You really are just a revengeful bunch of hateful losers.  Go die
>   or something.  Especially you, Rainer.  I have such overpowering pity for
>   the miserable life you must have I can't describe it.  All you can do is
>   destroy something other people try to do, especially if it's a little
>   up-beat and intended to be humorous.  You deserve what you have, though.
>
>   *sigh*

Yeah, *sigh*.

Rainer Joswig

--
Rainer Joswig, Hamburg, Germany
Email: ·············@corporate-world.lisp.de
From: Fernando
On Fri, 26 Jan 2001 16:29:00 GMT, ······@corporate-world.lisp.de wrote:

>Do we have two Eriks?
>Erik talking about Erik in the third person?
>AI at work?

"In 1989, a program like Henley was used to simulate netnews postings by
well-known flamers. (...) the study of the former might be called artificial
stupidity."

Ansi Common Lisp, Paul Graham, pp 407.

//	Fernando Rodriguez Romero
//