From: ·················@inesc.pt
Subject: Lispworks' defsystem question
Hello,

I have a problem to define a hierarchy of systems using LW's
defsystem. I want to define a system called "acrobot-demo"
that depends on another system called "acrobot-system". I
wrote (in the same file):

(defsystem acrobot-system
  :members ("acrobot" "basis" "gplot" "rbf-agent" "p-experiment"))

(defsystem acrobot-demo
  :members ("acrobot-system" "demo-interface" "demo-callbacks"))

When I load the file LW complains because the file
"acrobot-system.lisp" does not exist. How can I specify that
some members of a system are files and others are subsystems ?

The User Guide says that :members must be a list of strings
that can be either files or systems. LW seems to look after
files. What's wrong ?

BTW, is there a LW user mailing list ?

Thibault Langlois

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

From: Thomas A. Russ
Subject: Re: Lispworks' defsystem question
·················@inesc.pt writes:

 > I have a problem to define a hierarchy of systems using LW's
 > defsystem. I want to define a system called "acrobot-demo"
 > that depends on another system called "acrobot-system". I
 > wrote (in the same file):
 >
 > (defsystem acrobot-system
 >   :members ("acrobot" "basis" "gplot" "rbf-agent" "p-experiment"))
 >

 > (defsystem acrobot-demo
 >   :members ("acrobot-system" "demo-interface" "demo-callbacks"))
 >
 > When I load the file LW complains because the file
 > "acrobot-system.lisp" does not exist. How can I specify that
> some members of a system are files and others are subsystems ?

Not familiar at all with LW's defsystem, but could it be something so
simple as the system name being ACROBOT-SYSTEM since the default
behavior of the reader is to upcase symbol names?

From: ······@corporate-world.lisp.de
In article <············@nnrp1.deja.com>,
  ·················@inesc.pt wrote:
Hi,

> I have a problem to define a hierarchy of systems using LW's
> defsystem. I want to define a system called "acrobot-demo"
> that depends on another system called "acrobot-system". I
> wrote (in the same file):
>
> (defsystem acrobot-system
>   :members ("acrobot" "basis" "gplot" "rbf-agent" "p-experiment"))
>
> (defsystem acrobot-demo
>   :members ("acrobot-system" "demo-interface" "demo-callbacks"))
>
> When I load the file LW complains because the file
> "acrobot-system.lisp" does not exist. How can I specify that
> some members of a system are files and others are subsystems ?
>
> The User Guide says that :members must be a list of strings
> that can be either files or systems. LW seems to look after
> files. What's wrong ?

my guess:

You can refer to other systems when you not use
a string (which uses the default-type, which is :lisp-file):

(defsystem ...
  ("my-system" :type :system)

> BTW, is there a LW user mailing list ?

Xanalys has a lot support info online:
  http://www.xanalys.com/software_tools/support/index.html

under "Community" you'll find more:
  http://www.xanalys.com/software_tools/community/index.html

About mailing lists for LispWorks:

 ········@xanalys.com

   This mailing list is for all LispWorks and Liquid
   Common Lisp users, who are invited to exchange ideas
   and tell us how you want these products to involve.
   Xanalys posts news about releases and patch bundles
   to this list. To subscribe, send email to
   ·········@xanalys.com with the text subscribe
   lisp-hug on a new line in the body of the message.

 ···@lisp.de

   A mailing list specifically for users of LispWorks
   for Windows. To subscribe, send email to
   ···········@lisp.de.

Rainer Joswig

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/
From: Clive Tong
> (defsystem acrobot-system
>   :members ("acrobot" "basis" "gplot" "rbf-agent" "p-experiment"))
>
> (defsystem acrobot-demo
>   :members ("acrobot-system" "demo-interface" "demo-callbacks"))
>
> When I load the file LW complains because the file
> "acrobot-system.lisp" does not exist. How can I specify that
> some members of a system are files and others are subsystems ?

 (defsystem acrobot-demo
   :members (("acrobot-system" :type :system)
             "demo-interface" "demo-callbacks"))

> The User Guide says that :members must be a list of strings
> that can be either files or systems. LW seems to look after
> files. What's wrong ?

See the entry in the reference manual.
From: Friedrich Dominicus
·················@inesc.pt writes:

> Hello,
>
> I have a problem to define a hierarchy of systems using LW's
> defsystem. I want to define a system called "acrobot-demo"
> that depends on another system called "acrobot-system". I
> wrote (in the same file):
>
> (defsystem acrobot-system
>   :members ("acrobot" "basis" "gplot" "rbf-agent" "p-experiment"))
>

> (defsystem acrobot-demo
>   :members ("acrobot-system" "demo-interface" "demo-callbacks"))
>
> When I load the file LW complains because the file
> "acrobot-system.lisp" does not exist. How can I specify that
> some members of a system are files and others are subsystems ?
>
> The User Guide says that :members must be a list of strings
> that can be either files or systems. LW seems to look after
> files. What's wrong ?

Please look into the Reference manual too. There you can find:
"members is a list defining the members of the system.
Each element of the list may be a symbol or a string representing the
name of the physical file referred to, or a list of
format (name {keyword value}*) where name is once again a symbol or a
string referring to the physical file, and the possible keywords are:
:type
        The type of this member. If not specified it defaults to the
        value of :default-type given as an option

:root-module
  If nil then this member is not loaded unless its loading
        is specifically requested as a result of a dependency on another
         module

:source-only

   Only the source file for this member is ever loaded "

So if it's a system it probably should be
(defsystem acrobot-demo
   :members ('acrobot-system "demo-interface" "demo-callbacks"))

Or the like.

> BTW, is there a LW user mailing list ?

I do not know directly but you may try out www.xanalys.com and see if
something is available