From: Derek Peschel
Subject: Resurrecting a Symbolics 3650 -- any advice?
Actually it belongs to my friend.  Currently even the FEP won't come up (he
disconnected everything in preparation for his move, and due to lack od
notes, reconnection has turned out to be difficult -- we have been resorting
to the crudest kind of board swapping).  We are looking for:

	- Any info about reconnecting the hard drive (Seagate 9720, 700ish
	  MB, uses SMD).

	- A way to find out if the SMD terminator paddle, or anything else
	  for that matter, has been fried.

	- What the normal appearance and sound is when the machine is
	  turned on, including the RUN light, signal on the screen, any
	  internal lights, sound of the tape drive & hard drives, etc.

	  The original tape drive chomped the original backup tape.
	  The new-old-stock tape drive my friend just got rattles its head
	  many times, not just once, when the machine is turned on.  We have
	  gotten either a raster on the monitor or a totally black screen,
	  depending on what boards are in.  The RUN light may light but the
	  FAULT light never does.

	- Procedures to recreate the world on the hard drive and eliminate
	  bad blocks would be nice.  I assume the new-old-stock tape that
	  came with the drive is a FEP tape, rather than an IFS tape, but I
	  don't actually know.

Thanks for any help.  I want to see this system run, rather than be an
expensive boat anchor.

-- Derek

P.S.  A courtesy e-mail would be helpful since my news feed is atrocious.

From: Paolo Amoroso
Subject: Re: Resurrecting a Symbolics 3650 -- any advice?
You may be interested in the newly created LispM mailing list:

Paolo
From: Hannu Koivisto
········@eskimo.com (Derek Peschel) writes:

Oh boy, another 3650 victim :)  I've also been resurrecting a
3650 which I got last year (well, I got a 3620 and three 3640s too,
but of all the machines only two 3640s work).  I even disassembled
the power sources�when trying to figure out why it didn't start,
only to realize several months later that the machine actually
started; I just couldn't see it because all my four monitors were
broken :)  I had kinda mixed feelings about that.  While I was
happy about figuring out what was the problem, at that point I
wanted to throw the beast out of the window.  Fortunately it was
too heavy :)  Well, now it starts but it seems that the hard disk
is broken, just like with 3620 :\

| Actually it belongs to my friend.  Currently even the FEP won't come up (he
| disconnected everything in preparation for his move, and due to lack od

It worked before the move?

| notes, reconnection has turned out to be difficult -- we have been resorting
| to the crudest kind of board swapping).  We are looking for:
|
| 	- Any info about reconnecting the hard drive (Seagate 9720, 700ish
| 	  MB, uses SMD).

What is the problem exactly?  You don't know how to plug in the
data cables and power?  I can check those out when I get to home
and try to explain what goes where but if you have a reasonable WWW
access, I could also take photos of all the relevant connections
with a digital camera.  Peter Paine helped me this way with the
power sources (I did take notes, but when it was time to put
them back, I couldn't interpret my notes anymore with 100% certainty :)

| 	- A way to find out if the SMD terminator paddle, or anything else
| 	  for that matter, has been fried.

I have no idea about this.  I guess something like this is possible
even in my case.  Hmm.

| 	- What the normal appearance and sound is when the machine is
| 	  turned on, including the RUN light, signal on the screen, any
| 	  internal lights, sound of the tape drive & hard drives, etc.

When you toggle the pilot power on from the back, one led turns on
(it says "pilot" beside it, I think).  When you actually switch the
machine on using the key, I think both failure and power lights in
the front turn on.  After a while the failure light goes off.  (I
don't know if this is normal but all the machines do this and they
get to the FEP so I'd guess it is.)  There are some leds inside my
SMD disk but other than that there are no internal lights.

As for the sounds, go to the local airport and listen to a Boeing
747 take off and you should get a pretty good impression :)
Seriously, I doubt that knowing the sounds helps you in any way.
Even if tape and hard drives are broken, I think you should get to
the FEP (at least I do, and the sounds from my 3620's hard disk are
really horrible).  If you insist, I guess I could record the sounds
during the start (this might also be an amusing addition to my
Symbolics page :) but I really think it won't help at least before
you can get FEP to come up.

| 	  The original tape drive chomped the original backup tape.
| 	  The new-old-stock tape drive my friend just got rattles its head
| 	  many times, not just once, when the machine is turned on.  We have

I don't have a tape drive in 3650 but I think the tape drive in
3640 rattles its head two times or so.  I haven't tested whether it
works or not.

| 	  gotten either a raster on the monitor or a totally black screen,

Black screen = not good.  Raster?  Do you mean random noise?  I
think that's normal before the machine starts sending video signal.
In my 3620 the video/io card didn't work in one slot (it felt quite
loose) but worked in another one.  Even then I got random noise in
both cases.

| 	- Procedures to recreate the world on the hard drive and eliminate
| 	  bad blocks would be nice.  I assume the new-old-stock tape that

I think we can forget this until you can get the FEP to come up.

| 	  came with the drive is a FEP tape, rather than an IFS tape, but I
| 	  don't actually know.

What is an IFS tape anyway?  I also have a tape labeled "IFS tape"
(in addition to huge amount of Genera 7.2, 8.0, DNS, KEE
etc. tapes) but I have no idea of what it is (I haven't tried to
search from manuals, though).  Is it something that you can use to
bootstrap a system when you have a completely empty hard disk?  The
problem I have is that even if I could get a replacement SMD hard
disk from somewhere, FEP commands that operate on tapes need to be
loaded from a FEP file system first!  I don't know any way to solve
this bootstrapping problem (except by having a working 3650
somewhere to which I could connect that new hard disk etc.)  Then
again, even if some tape could be used for bootstrapping that way,
I wouldn't place my bets on the condition of those tapes and tape
drives...  That's why I've been thinking about buying a MacIvory if
I can find a cheap Quadra 950 (well, I could certainly buy a
XL120{1,0} instead but there aren't any for sale around here in
Finland and it would need to be pretty close --- MacIvory is
something I could buy from another country).

Btw, does anyone know what kind of sound output MacIvory has?  What
about XL*?  Output from those older machines is via the console and
originally high quality (16bit, 50kHz IIRC) stereo sound is raped via
12bit mono-DAC, which is really sad.  Also, since the graphics goes
through the Mac, is it (much (I don't care about small differences))
slower or perhaps faster when compared to XL* machines?

| Thanks for any help.  I want to see this system run, rather than be an
| expensive boat anchor.

Same here (it would probably sink our small boat anyway).

--
Hannu