From: Raymond Wiker
Subject: A couple of MacIvory questions...
        I've just received a MacIvory II from Symbolics, and have
started to play with it. I got the basic MacIvory board, 24 MB of
NuBus RAM, and the Symbolics keyboard and mouse. This is now plugged
into my Quadra 950 (except for one of the memory boards, which is
giving me a little trouble).

        So far, I've managed to set up a FEP partition (via the
MacIvory control panel), and used the "Breath of Life" application to
initialise the partition. This gives me a basic Genera environment
that I (hopefully) can use to bootstrap the rest of the install.

        The distribution CD contains an HFS partition as well as an
ISO image. The Quadra should be able to mount both partitions at the
same time, but so far I've been unable to do this - only the HFS
partition shows up. I suspect this is beacuse my CDROM drive is not
fully recognised by the MacOS drivers (5.3.1 + 5.3.2). I've copied
parts of the ISO image (World + Distribution) to a new CD which I can
then use from the Quadra. Alternatively, I suppose I could NFS-mount
the original CD from my FreeBSD machine.

        Now to the problem: I assume I will have to set up an LMFS
filesystem. I suppose this is documented in the on-line docs, but I
haven't got them on-line yet (a bit of a chicken & egg
situation). Does anybody have a short recipe for setting up an LMFS
partition?

        It would also appear that I need a patch that makes Genera
understand that we've entered a new millennium. I know that this patch
was available from www.symbolics.com, but I've been unable to reach
this server for some time now (this may be as simple as a DNS
problem). Is there somewhere else I could find patches for my
MacIvory?

        Any help appreciated.

--
Raymond Wiker
·············@fast.no

From: Rainer Joswig
Subject: Re: A couple of MacIvory questions...
In article <··············@raw.grenland.fast.no>, Raymond Wiker
<·············@fast.no> wrote:

>         The distribution CD contains an HFS partition as well as an
> ISO image. The Quadra should be able to mount both partitions at the
> same time,

No. Genera on the MacIvory can access the ISO part. I've never
been able to mount both partitions on the Mac side.

>         Now to the problem: I assume I will have to set up an LMFS
> filesystem. I suppose this is documented in the on-line docs, but I
> haven't got them on-line yet (a bit of a chicken & egg
> situation). Does anybody have a short recipe for setting up an LMFS
> partition?

I think you can do it from the File System Editor. Go to
level 3: "Initialize", via "Local LMFS Operations",
"LMFS Maintenance Operations".

>         It would also appear that I need a patch that makes Genera
> understand that we've entered a new millennium. I know that this patch
> was available from www.symbolics.com, but I've been unable to reach
> this server for some time now (this may be as simple as a DNS
> problem). Is there somewhere else I could find patches for my
> MacIvory?

Contact me via mail and I'll send you the Y2K patch.

Rainer Joswig

--
Rainer Joswig, Hamburg, Germany
Email: ·············@corporate-world.lisp.de
From: Rainer Joswig
Subject: Re: A couple of MacIvory questions... (2)
In article <····························@news.is-europe.net>, Rainer
Joswig <······@corporate-world.lisp.de> wrote:

> >         Now to the problem: I assume I will have to set up an LMFS
> > filesystem. I suppose this is documented in the on-line docs, but I
> > haven't got them on-line yet (a bit of a chicken & egg
> > situation).

One thing to add: if you have Genera running, you can
use the docs from CDROM. You need to set the "SYS" logical
pathname host.

From: Tim Bradshaw
* Raymond Wiker wrote:

>         Now to the problem: I assume I will have to set up an LMFS
> filesystem. I suppose this is documented in the on-line docs, but I
> haven't got them on-line yet (a bit of a chicken & egg
> situation). Does anybody have a short recipe for setting up an LMFS
> partition?

(Caveat: I've not used a macivory: this is how you do it on an NXP,
and, if I remember right, a 36xx).

I assume you have a FEP partition with a world load &c.  Boot the
world, then select the filesystem activity with select-F, then select
local LMFS operations, then LMFS maintenance operations, then
Initialize.  This will prompt you for various things like the filename
of the LMFS partition within the FEP partition, how many blocks &c,
and then create the filesystem.

>         It would also appear that I need a patch that makes Genera
> understand that we've entered a new millennium. I know that this patch
> was available from www.symbolics.com, but I've been unable to reach
> this server for some time now (this may be as simple as a DNS
> problem). Is there somewhere else I could find patches for my
> MacIvory?

I have some patches, which I *think* work, if you mail me I'll try and
dig them out.

--tim
From: Raymond Wiker
Tim Bradshaw <···@cley.com> writes:

> * Raymond Wiker wrote:
>
> >         Now to the problem: I assume I will have to set up an LMFS
> > filesystem. I suppose this is documented in the on-line docs, but I
> > haven't got them on-line yet (a bit of a chicken & egg
> > situation). Does anybody have a short recipe for setting up an LMFS
> > partition?
>
> (Caveat: I've not used a macivory: this is how you do it on an NXP,
> and, if I remember right, a 36xx).
>
> I assume you have a FEP partition with a world load &c.  Boot the
> world, then select the filesystem activity with select-F, then select
> local LMFS operations, then LMFS maintenance operations, then
> Initialize.  This will prompt you for various things like the filename
> of the LMFS partition within the FEP partition, how many blocks &c,
> and then create the filesystem.

        Yup, that's the way I ended up doing it. Thanks to all who
responded!

> >         It would also appear that I need a patch that makes Genera
> > understand that we've entered a new millennium. I know that this patch
> > was available from www.symbolics.com, but I've been unable to reach
> > this server for some time now (this may be as simple as a DNS
> > problem). Is there somewhere else I could find patches for my
> > MacIvory?
>
> I have some patches, which I *think* work, if you mail me I'll try and
> dig them out.

        I've already got the patch I was thinking of
(genera-8-3-y2k-patch.lisp), from Rainer Joswig. Seems that there is
call for an archive of Symbolics patches (especially since the
official site is down). Any volunteers? (Actually, I guess I could
volunteer for this myself, if the storage/bandwidth requirements are
not excessive.)

--
Raymond Wiker
·············@fast.no
From: Francois-Rene Rideau
Dear Lisp usenetters,

   since there has been a recent flurry of newbie purchasers and users
of Lisp Machines, I've set up both a page
        http://fare.tunes.org/LispM.html
and a mailing-list
        http://lists.tunes.org/mailman/listinfo/lispm

As points of exchange of hardware, software, patches, information, lore, etc,
about Lisp Machines in general.
These site and mailing-list are in no way restricted
to Symbolics Lisp Machines.
Come talk about your MIT, LMI, TI, Xerox, or whatever Lisp Machine,
or any machine whose operating system was written in
a dynamic high-level language.

Feedback welcome.

May the LAMBDA be with you,

[ Fran�ois-Ren� �VB Rideau | Reflection&Cybernethics | http://fare.tunes.org ]
Knowledge and Technology are the byproduct of Science as it progresses,
just like slime is the byproduct of the snail as it moves on.
		-- Far�
From: Paolo Amoroso
On 19 Jan 2001 13:05:43 +0100, Raymond Wiker <·············@fast.no> wrote:

>         I've just received a MacIvory II from Symbolics, and have

Be sure to check this site:

  http://fare.tunes.org/LispM.html

Paolo