From: Jeff TAllent
Subject: Debugging cLisp
Trying to learn my way around Lisp using cLisp, and am baffled by debugging.
For instance, how do I get out of a <break> prompt. (I know I can back out
one statement at a time with abort, but how do I get out with a single
statement? Also, I've experimented with Step, which is supposed to track
through a function one line at a time. But I don't know how to get it to
move to the next statement. [Enter] just inserts a new line.

I know these are pretty putsy questions. If your going to flame me for not
reading the documentation, please (please!) tell me what document I should
be reading to figure this stuff out. I've spent hours searching. There's
nothing in the clisp man page, nothing in the 'Editors' document, nothing in
the cllinefeed document, and nothing in the lisp tutorial.

Help!?

From: Hartmann Schaffer
Subject: Re: Debugging cLisp
In article <····················@news4.atl>, Jeff TAllent wrote:
>Trying to learn my way around Lisp using cLisp, and am baffled by debugging.
>For instance, how do I get out of a <break> prompt. (I know I can back out
>one statement at a time with abort, but how do I get out with a single
>statement? Also, I've experimented with Step, which is supposed to track
>through a function one line at a time. But I don't know how to get it to
>move to the next statement. [Enter] just inserts a new line.

try help at the debug or break prompt.  (in debug, "next" steps over the
next form (not line), "step" gets you into the form.

>I know these are pretty putsy questions. If your going to flame me for not
>reading the documentation, please (please!) tell me what document I should
>be reading to figure this stuff out. I've spent hours searching. There's
>nothing in the clisp man page, nothing in the 'Editors' document, nothing in
>the cllinefeed document, and nothing in the lisp tutorial.

there usually is a document impnotes.xxx (xxx mostly html, but on occasion
i have seen .txt), that touches stuff like that.  if it didn't come with your
download, you'll probably find it on clisp.sourceforge.net.

>Help!?

hs
From: Kent M Pitman
"Jeff TAllent" <······@bellsouth.net> writes:

> Trying to learn my way around Lisp using cLisp, [...]
> I know these are pretty putsy questions. If your going to flame me for not
> reading the documentation, please (please!) tell me what document I should
> be reading to figure this stuff out.

Nothing wrong with this as an investigative strategy as long as you
understand the limits of feeling around in an implementation.  This means
that any non-conformances or implementation-dependent behaviors that you find
useful may not be "the langauge" but only "this implementation".

That said, a lot of people have learned Lisp by exploring and it's not
wholly a bad approach as long as you eventually do read some stuff about
what is really supposed to happen.

The use of the debugger is not part of the language, but is left to
implementations so will be largely different in every implementation.
I don't use clisp so I don't have specific knowledge to offer you.
My only purpose in replying was to help put the limits of what you are doing
into context.

Btw, some condition handling tools are likely to work in the debugger in most
implementations.  For example, you may be able to call the (abort) function
in most debuggers, though where it will take you to may be different.  It's
worth perusing the doc to learn about the condition system and how it works.

But, all in all, you'll probably still need to wait for someone who does  use
clisp to offer you some other hints ...
From: IBMackey
I don't suppose "Ctrl-D" is the answer you're looking for???

i.b.