From: ········@yahoo.com
Subject: Pager in CLISP?
Hi -

I'm current using CLISP under Linux. Can anyone tell me how I can set up
a scroll pager, like "more" or "less", within CLISP? It's terribly
irritating to watch long outputs go scrolling by and not see what's
actually there.

Thanks for the help!

--
Dave

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

From: Ola Rinta-Koski
Subject: Re: Pager in CLISP?
> From: ········@yahoo.com
> I'm current using CLISP under Linux. Can anyone tell me how I can set up
> a scroll pager, like "more" or "less", within CLISP? It's terribly
> irritating to watch long outputs go scrolling by and not see what's
> actually there.

  While I don't know how to do what you ask, I do know that by using
  CLisp in an (X)Emacs buffer with Ilisp (which is what I do) the
  problem goes away (i.e. the output goes in the buffer). See
  http://ilisp.cons.org/ for more info.
--
*** Ola Rinta-Koski  Espoo, FINLAND
***
From: Daniel Barlow
········@yahoo.com writes:

> I'm current using CLISP under Linux. Can anyone tell me how I can set up
> a scroll pager, like "more" or "less", within CLISP? It's terribly
> irritating to watch long outputs go scrolling by and not see what's
> actually there.

If you can bear to use Emacs, you will probably find it improves your
development environment manifold - and clisp will output into an emacs
buffer so you can scroll up/down at will.  Look at ILISP
<URL:http://ilisp.cons.org/> which does this and a whole lot more.

-dan

--

  http://ww.telent.net/cliki/ - Link farm for free CL-on-Unix resources
From: J Scott Jaderholm
Subject: ILISP annoyances (Was Re: Pager in CLISP?)
Daniel Barlow <···@noetbook.telent.net> writes:

> If you can bear to use Emacs, you will probably find it improves your
> development environment manifold - and clisp will output into an emacs
> buffer so you can scroll up/down at will.  Look at ILISP
> <URL:http://ilisp.cons.org/> which does this and a whole lot more.

In the short time I have come up with quite a few ilisp annoyances.
Here they are, and since it is written in emacs lisp I'm sure there
are work arounds for this, but I have been unable to find them.

ILISP version 5.10.1 and CMUCL out of woody debian from a few weeks
ago.

First of all, sometimes when I execute functions (such as (oos "IMHO"
:compile)) ILISP will pop up an annoying window telling me about the
arglist for this function.  I hate this, its inredibly annoying.. How
do I have this only pop up if I ask for it?

Next, I almost always have the cmulisp buffer viewable.  When I C-M-x
something  I would rather have the debugging information go to that
buffer then always be creating a new buffer/window.  How do I do this?

Finally, a little different then the topic, when I'm starting cmulisp
it tries to create a file cmulisp.x86f in the current directory.  I'm
curious if maybe this would be caused if cmucl is having trouble
finding a lisp image and therefore is trying to dumb the present one
or something? the cmuclconfig program in debian doesn't work
correctly, but I think there must be a working image there because
I've done some web programming etc and everything has worked fine
except the creation of this cmulisp.x86f at startup..any ideas are
welcome.

Sincerely,
jsj

--
"Man's mind, once stretched by a new idea, never regains its original
dimensions."  Oliver Wendell Holmes (a Lisp programmer at heart)
From: Raymond Wiker
Subject: Re: ILISP annoyances (Was Re: Pager in CLISP?)
J Scott Jaderholm <·····@jaderholm.com> writes:

> Daniel Barlow <···@noetbook.telent.net> writes:
>
> > If you can bear to use Emacs, you will probably find it improves your
> > development environment manifold - and clisp will output into an emacs
> > buffer so you can scroll up/down at will.  Look at ILISP
> > <URL:http://ilisp.cons.org/> which does this and a whole lot more.
>
> In the short time I have come up with quite a few ilisp annoyances.
> Here they are, and since it is written in emacs lisp I'm sure there
> are work arounds for this, but I have been unable to find them.
>
> ILISP version 5.10.1 and CMUCL out of woody debian from a few weeks
> ago.
>
> First of all, sometimes when I execute functions (such as (oos "IMHO"
> :compile)) ILISP will pop up an annoying window telling me about the
> arglist for this function.  I hate this, its inredibly annoying.. How
> do I have this only pop up if I ask for it?

        Check the documentation for the variables ilisp-no-popper and
ilisp-bindings-*bind-space-p*.

> Next, I almost always have the cmulisp buffer viewable.  When I C-M-x
> something  I would rather have the debugging information go to that
> buffer then always be creating a new buffer/window.  How do I do this?
>

> Finally, a little different then the topic, when I'm starting cmulisp
> it tries to create a file cmulisp.x86f in the current directory.  I'm
> curious if maybe this would be caused if cmucl is having trouble
> finding a lisp image and therefore is trying to dumb the present one
> or something? the cmuclconfig program in debian doesn't work
> correctly, but I think there must be a working image there because
> I've done some web programming etc and everything has worked fine
> except the creation of this cmulisp.x86f at startup..any ideas are
> welcome.

        Maybe you're calling ilisp-compile-inits from somewhere?
(Actually, I seem to rememember that an earlier version of ilisp
offered to compile the cmulisp init file on startup.)

--
Raymond Wiker
·············@fast.no
From: ········@debian.org
J Scott Jaderholm <·····@jaderholm.com> writes:

> ILISP version 5.10.1 and CMUCL out of woody debian from a few weeks
> ago.

There should be an ilisp package out soon...

> Finally, a little different then the topic, when I'm starting cmulisp
> it tries to create a file cmulisp.x86f in the current directory.  I'm
I think this is caused by ilisp.

> curious if maybe this would be caused if cmucl is having trouble
> finding a lisp image and therefore is trying to dumb the present one
> or something? the cmuclconfig program in debian doesn't work

Why doesn't it work? What is the bug report number?

Groetjes, Peter

--
pvaneynd (at) debian (dot) org
From: Hannu Koivisto
J Scott Jaderholm <·····@jaderholm.com> writes:

| In the short time I have come up with quite a few ilisp annoyances.
| Here they are, and since it is written in emacs lisp I'm sure there
| are work arounds for this, but I have been unable to find them.

I suggest you report/ask about these kind of things on the ILISP
mailing list where you have better chances of reaching ILISP users
and developers.

| First of all, sometimes when I execute functions (such as (oos "IMHO"
| :compile)) ILISP will pop up an annoying window telling me about the
| arglist for this function.  I hate this, its inredibly annoying.. How
| do I have this only pop up if I ask for it?

See Raymond Wiker's article.

| Next, I almost always have the cmulisp buffer viewable.  When I C-M-x
| something  I would rather have the debugging information go to that
| buffer then always be creating a new buffer/window.  How do I do this?

Check out lisp-no-popper variable.

| Finally, a little different then the topic, when I'm starting cmulisp
| it tries to create a file cmulisp.x86f in the current directory.  I'm

Weird.  I assume the current directory in this case is not the
directory of your ILISP installation.  First of all I think ILISP
should not compile its CL support files automatically but ask you
to do so with M-x ilisp-compile-inits if it finds they are not
compiled.  Second, it should compile cmulisp.lisp to the directory
specified by ilisp-*directory* (you might want to check the value
of that) which again should be initialized based on where ilisp.elc
or .el can be found in your load path (you can check these out with
M-x locate-library RET ilisp.elc RET).

| curious if maybe this would be caused if cmucl is having trouble
| finding a lisp image and therefore is trying to dumb the present one
| or something? the cmuclconfig program in debian doesn't work

No, it's not this; cmulisp.x86f is a compiled version of ILISP's
CMUCL support file.

--
Hannu
From: ········@hex.net
musicant> Hi - I'm current using CLISP under Linux. Can anyone tell me
musicant> how I can set up a scroll pager, like "more" or "less",
musicant> within CLISP? It's terribly irritating to watch long outputs
musicant> go scrolling by and not see what's actually there.

The usual answer would be to run CLISP as an Emacs subprocess.  That
has the result that output is visible in a buffer, and buffers are
readily scrollable using the usual Emacs keystrokes.

By running it in CLISP, you can easily have a source code buffer and
copy/paste information back and forth, and even, via the function
"lisp-eval-region," push code from the source code buffer into the
CLISP session.

This is a _far_ better answer than trying to integrate more/less into
CLISP...
--
(reverse (concatenate 'string ····················@" "454aa"))
<http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/emacs.html>
From: ········@yahoo.com
Thanks for the responses. I'm already an emacs user, I'll check out ilisp as
well as running clisp from within emacs.

--
Dave

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/
From: Mike McDonald
In article <··············@mail.hex.net>,
	········@hex.net writes:
> musicant> Hi - I'm current using CLISP under Linux. Can anyone tell me
> musicant> how I can set up a scroll pager, like "more" or "less",
> musicant> within CLISP? It's terribly irritating to watch long outputs
> musicant> go scrolling by and not see what's actually there.
>
> The usual answer would be to run CLISP as an Emacs subprocess.  That
> has the result that output is visible in a buffer, and buffers are
> readily scrollable using the usual Emacs keystrokes.

  Or just run it in an xterm.

  Mike McDonald
  ·······@mikemac.com
From: ········@hex.net