From: Marc Battyani
Subject: postgresql + LW
Has anybody managed to use postgresql with LW under FreeBSD (or Linux, it
should be similar)

I have LW Entreprise edition but it only works with oracle8. (oracle 8.16
does not work under FreeBSD)

I will look at SQL-ODBC / UncommonSQL / MaiSQL ... but I would appreciate
feedback on these with LW and FreeBSD.

Marc Battyani

From: Craig Brozefsky
Subject: Re: postgresql + LW
"Marc Battyani" <·············@fractalconcept.com> writes:

> I will look at SQL-ODBC / UncommonSQL / MaiSQL ... but I would appreciate
> feedback on these with LW and FreeBSD.

There was a port of UncommonSQL to Lispworks under windows that interfaced
with PostgreSQL.  I'm not sure if LW on FreeBSD is similiar enough
that it would be useful tho.  This port has not been folded into
MaiSQL yet, so you should prolly contact the author John Miller at
········@uop.com

You could also take the existing UncommonSQL support for Postgres and
patch the foreign function calls to work under LispWorks.
From: Cor Gest jr
There exsists an pg.el, made in Emacs Lisp
which is an simple Elisp interface to Postgresql

http://www.chez.com/emarsden/downloads/pg.el

cor
From: Marc Battyani
"Cor Gest jr" <···@clsnet.nl> wrote

> There exsists an pg.el, made in Emacs Lisp
> which is an simple Elisp interface to Postgresql
>
> http://www.chez.com/emarsden/downloads/pg.el

Thanks, I didn't know about this one.
It is not in Common Lisp but there is a Common Lisp version at
http://www.chez.com/emarsden/downloads/pg.lisp
The use of sockets instead of libpq to connect to postgresql could be
interesting.

Marc
From: Eric Marsden

  cg> There exsists an pg.el, made in Emacs Lisp
  cg> which is an simple Elisp interface to Postgresql

yep, and now a Common Lisp version of the same. This code implements
the socket-level interface between the PostgreSQL postmaster and a
client, so you don't need to do any foreign linking with libpq. A
further advantage is that it preserves type information which is
discarded by libpq, and SQL data is automatically converted to
appropriate CL types.

Doesn't currently support large objects (but it should be easy to port
the elisp code). Tested with CMUCL, CLISP, ACLtrial; patches for LW
welcome.

   <URL:http://www.chez.com/emarsden/downloads/pg.lisp>

--
Eric Marsden                          <URL:http://www.laas.fr/~emarsden/>