From: J�rg Luger
Subject: How to declare variables and use foreign functions
Hello,

I'm using clisp and I found no Information how to declare variables.
I've heard that the code should be faster if I do so. I also want to
call foreign functions. Can somebody give me URLz where I can found
information about it?

Tanks
J�rg
From: ········@hex.net
······@web.de (J�rg Luger) writes:
> I'm using clisp and I found no Information how to declare variables.
> I've heard that the code should be faster if I do so. I also want to
> call foreign functions. Can somebody give me URLz where I can found
> information about it?

CLISP won't perform _vastly_ better if you declare types for
variables/operations since it merely resolves to bytecode, thereby
preventing there being _massive_ optimizations that you might get if,
for instance, you had a function declared as working with fixnums or
floats.

The reason for that difference would be that the Lisp compiler would
be able to, based on the declarations, generate machine language
solely to manipulate fixnums/floats rather than keeping things
"generic."

There are other optimizations out there; you might avail yourself of
the CMUCL "optimization" page to see a list of some such that exist
with CMUCL.  See:
<http://www.dca.fee.unicamp.br/cgi-bin/man2html/n/lang/man/man1/cmucl.1#lbAH>

As for calling foreign functions from CLISP, see:
<http://clisp.cons.org/~haible/documentation/clisp/doc/impnotes.html#dffi>

You ought to be able to find "impnotes.html" amongst the files you
installed along with CLISP.
--
(reverse (concatenate 'string ····················@" "454aa"))
<http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/lisp.html>