From: Andrew K. Wolven
Subject: h2lisp
Does anyone know if Mr. Steingold's ffi code generation facility has
been ported to ACL5.0.1?

Thanks,
AKW

(why can't Allegro simply use a header file?)

From: Andrew K. Wolven
Subject: Re: h2lisp
Erik Naggum wrote:

> * "Andrew K. Wolven" <·······@redfernlane.org>
> | (why can't Allegro simply use a header file?)
>
>   What does it mean to use a header file?  What do you have in mind?

Actually, I don't know.

I don't know what it means to use a header file because in the day and
age of cheap silicon real-estate, I would simply prefer a few bits for a
runtime type tag.

What I had in mind was a workaround dealing with only one Gate, not
millions or more.

I would like to embed Allegro in my Favorite Windows Application.  I am
willing to experience some pain and suffering in order to accomplish
this task.  There are some scary tools that I can use with Visual Studio
which should allow me to achieve this affect.  (those tools are subject
of a whole other conversation)

In the mean time, while I work on obtaining a microsoft compiler, I
would like to develop the foreign function interface for the
environment.  Based on previous experiments using foreign code, I have
conclude that this is a tedious process which requires less trial and
error and more upfront planning.  I must assimilate some decent amount
of 8mb of '.h' files and attempt to produce something which doesn't
crash.  Does any one have any experience with the automation of this
process for ACL501?

Thanks much,
Andrew Wolven

From: Marco Antoniotti
"Andrew K. Wolven" <·······@redfernlane.org> writes:

> Erik Naggum wrote:
>
> > * "Andrew K. Wolven" <·······@redfernlane.org>
> > | (why can't Allegro simply use a header file?)
> >
> >   What does it mean to use a header file?  What do you have in mind?
>
> Actually, I don't know.
>
> I don't know what it means to use a header file because in the day and
> age of cheap silicon real-estate, I would simply prefer a few bits for a
> runtime type tag.
>
> What I had in mind was a workaround dealing with only one Gate, not
> millions or more.
>
> I would like to embed Allegro in my Favorite Windows Application.  I am
> willing to experience some pain and suffering in order to accomplish
> this task.  There are some scary tools that I can use with Visual Studio
> which should allow me to achieve this affect.  (those tools are subject
> of a whole other conversation)
>
> In the mean time, while I work on obtaining a microsoft compiler, I
> would like to develop the foreign function interface for the
> environment.  Based on previous experiments using foreign code, I have
> conclude that this is a tedious process which requires less trial and
> error and more upfront planning.  I must assimilate some decent amount
> of 8mb of '.h' files and attempt to produce something which doesn't
> crash.  Does any one have any experience with the automation of this
> process for ACL501?

I do.  The Franz folks did a very good job in packaging up the whole
COM mess.  It is very simple to use and it works rather nicely.  At
least I like it. (BTW.  This feature made us choose ACL over LWW - I
am saying this for the benefit of the people at Xanalys :) ).

We have a Windows VC++ GUI which need to do some real work sometime :)
It then calls the Common Lisp package (which, incidentally runs on
UNIX as well under CMUCL).  Pretty nifty, isn't it?

Cheers

--
Marco Antoniotti =============================================================
NYU Bioinformatics Group			 tel. +1 - 212 - 998 3488
From: ·············@my-deja.com
In article <···············@octagon.mrl.nyu.edu>,
  Marco Antoniotti <·······@cs.nyu.edu> wrote:

>We have a Windows VC++ GUI which need to do some real work sometime :)

	Why not using Common Graphics from ACL?

>It then calls the Common Lisp package (which, incidentally runs on
>UNIX as well under CMUCL).  Pretty nifty, isn't it?

	Wait a minute, how do you communicate both? COM???  Wasn't COM
for Unix dead?

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/
From: Marco Antoniotti
·············@my-deja.com writes:

> In article <···············@octagon.mrl.nyu.edu>,
>   Marco Antoniotti <·······@cs.nyu.edu> wrote:
>
> >We have a Windows VC++ GUI which need to do some real work sometime :)
>
> 	Why not using Common Graphics from ACL?

Don't ask.... :{

> >It then calls the Common Lisp package (which, incidentally runs on
> >UNIX as well under CMUCL).  Pretty nifty, isn't it?
>
> 	Wait a minute, how do you communicate both? COM???  Wasn't COM
> for Unix dead?

We don't use COM on UNIX.  I just meant that we the main system is
implemented (and currently used) under UNIX (Solaris and Linux under
CMUCL).  The same core system runs without modifications under Windows
(both LWW Personal Edition and ACL).  The COM interface to the GUI
system runs only under Windows and ACL.

Cheers