From: Eric Winger
Subject: [Corman] Quick Start very, very beginner question
I just got started using Corman's Comman Lisp and have managed to go
through the start of the QuickStart guide. There is an example here as
follows:

(db:find-source 'factorial)

This tells me that this list should return the source for my highly
interesting function - factorial.

However, it appears that this doesn't work. Instead it returns this:

No source file information available.NIL

My first suspicion was the documentation is wrong and it should be
'factorial'. ..But that didn't work either. Any ideas? I know I have a
.lisp file with factorial defined in it. And also, what does the : mean?

thx

Eric

(as a minor, minor aside - the Quick Start says to choose Execute
File... from the File menu. It is really on the Lisp menu... Yeah I
know, big deal)
--
This guy has got to get a better signature

From: Roger Corman
On Wed, 28 Feb 2001 15:21:03 -0800, Eric Winger <·······@keyww.com>
wrote:

>I just got started using Corman's Comman Lisp and have managed to go
>through the start of the QuickStart guide. There is an example here as
>follows:
>
>(db:find-source 'factorial)
>
>This tells me that this list should return the source for my highly
>interesting function - factorial.
>
>However, it appears that this doesn't work. Instead it returns this:
>
>No source file information available.NIL
>
>My first suspicion was the documentation is wrong and it should be
>'factorial'. ..But that didn't work either. Any ideas? I know I have a
>.lisp file with factorial defined in it. And also, what does the : mean?
>
>thx
>
>Eric

This should work correctly if you have saved and re-loaded the
function as the tutorial walks you through. I suggest you can direct
this type of question to the Corman Lisp mailing list:

You can also mail questions to ····@corman.net and I will try to
respond ASAP.

Roger Corman
From: Eric Winger

fyi - my crummy newsgroup server checks out about as often as Windoze NT, so
I haven't been able to read any responses to my post. So if this specific
problem was mentioned already, sorry for duplicating. And thx for any other

I think I have a specific-Corman test case that will reproduce the error I'm
seeing.

do the following:

   * create a factorial.lisp file in the root of the Corman directory.
     Source:

(defun factorial (x)

       (if (= x 1)
        1
        (* x (factorial (- x 1)))))

   * save it.
   * now run the following lists:
        o (load "factorial.lisp")
        o (db:find-source 'factorial)
   * source should be brought up in a seperate workspace just fine.
   * now run List->Execute File and select - factorial.lisp. FACTORIAL
     displays in the transcript.
   * Now run (db:find-source 'factorial)..."No source file information
     available.NIL" is displayed.

This tells me that Execute File... does something a little different than
(load "factorial.lisp") does. But I'm not sure what. Any ideas?

fyi - I'm using the trial version of Corman Lisp 1.4.2 just downloaded the
other day. I read the patches file and the 1.4.2 patches read me didn't
mention anything about a similar bug. So I didn't install.

Eric

--------------B1E81B8082357CB1F52409C4

fyi - my crummy newsgroup server checks out about as often as Windoze NT,
so I haven't been able to read any responses to my post. So if this specific
problem was mentioned already, sorry for duplicating. And thx for any other
I'm seeing.
<ul>
<li>
create a factorial.lisp file in the root of the Corman directory. Source:</li>
</ul>
(defun factorial (x)
<ul>&nbsp; (if (= x 1)

<ul>
<li>
save it.</li>

<li>
now run the following lists:</li>

<ul>
<li>
(load "factorial.lisp")</li>

<li>
(db:find-source 'factorial)</li>
</ul>

<li>
source should be brought up in a seperate workspace just fine.</li>

<li>
now run List->Execute File and select - factorial.lisp. FACTORIAL displays
in the transcript.</li>

<li>
Now run (db:find-source 'factorial)..."No source file information available.NIL"
is displayed.</li>
</ul>
This tells me that Execute File... does something a little different than
(load "factorial.lisp") does. But I'm not sure what. Any ideas?
the other day. I read the patches file and the 1.4.2 patches read me didn't
mention anything about a similar bug. So I didn't install.
have managed to go
as
mean?

--------------B1E81B8082357CB1F52409C4--