From: Christian Lynbech
Subject: Re: Selling lisp to the Next Generation Space Telescope Project

    John> `lisp is not a mainstream technology and therefore there
    John> would be maintenance nightmare because it is difficult to
    John> hire lisp programmers'.

Allthough this is a common belief with people not familiar with Lisp
(we are under some of the same kind of fire in my project within
Ericsson (with a network management framework/application for routers))
it is not my own experience, for whatever it is worth.

When our project started, the initial idea was to use Java, but SUN
had (at the time at least) a completely ridiculous pricing on Embedded
Java, leaving only the suggestion to use Scheme, made by a newly
employed member of the team (me).

With about two hours worth of handwaving, fresh copies of R4Rs and a
document called something like "Teach Yourself Scheme in Fixnum Days"
we were on our way. I was the only person in the team with some
lisp/scheme knowledge (master thesis based on a scheme application,
fair amounts of emacs lisp programming, casual reading of CLtL), but
the others pretty quickly gained speed, as I remember it.

The main problem is not teaching new employees how to program in lisp,
but (I think) more to find somebody willing to learn. The myths and
prejudices against lisp thrives not just among managers and Larry
Wall, but in the general programming community.

Christian Lynbech       | Ericsson Telebit, Skanderborgvej 232, DK-8260 Viby J
Phone: +45 8938 5244    | email: ·················@ted.ericsson.dk
Fax:   +45 8938 5101    | web:   www.ericsson.com
                                        - ·······@hal.com (Michael A. Petonic)

From: ········@hex.net
John> `lisp is not a mainstream technology and therefore there
John> would be maintenance nightmare because it is difficult to
John> hire lisp programmers'.

Christian> Allthough this is a common belief with people not familiar
Christian> with Lisp (we are under some of the same kind of fire in my
Christian> project within Ericsson (with a network management
Christian> framework/application for routers)) it is not my own
Christian> experience, for whatever it is worth.

The critical thing is that it does not need to be true in fact in
order for people to _believe_ it to be true, and for that belief to
establish its own truth.
--
(concatenate 'string "cbbrowne" ·@acm.org")
http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/xwindows.html
From: Bruce Hoult
In article <··············@chl.ted.dk.eu.ericsson.se>, Christian
Lynbech <···@tbit.dk> wrote:

>     John> `lisp is not a mainstream technology and therefore there
>     John> would be maintenance nightmare because it is difficult to
>     John> hire lisp programmers'.
>
> Allthough this is a common belief with people not familiar with Lisp
> (we are under some of the same kind of fire in my project within
> Ericsson (with a network management framework/application for routers))
> it is not my own experience, for whatever it is worth.
>
> When our project started, the initial idea was to use Java, but SUN
> had (at the time at least) a completely ridiculous pricing on Embedded
> Java, leaving only the suggestion to use Scheme, made by a newly
> employed member of the team (me).

Dumb question:  did you consider Erlang?

-- Bruce