From: Hector Munoz
Subject: Lisp Sample Applications
Hello,

As a new Lisp programmer, I would like to ask if anyone might know of some
samples for Lisp applications. As we might all know, Lisp is the common
language for AI. Lisp has been around for over 50 years and I am sure that
there are some samples of practical Lisp applications other than defining
its syntax and functionality. As to my experience, I have seen numerous
practical sample applications for other languages. Would anyone have any
recommendations?

Thanks,
Hector
From: Jochen Schmidt
Subject: Re: Lisp Sample Applications
Hector Munoz wrote:

> Hello,
>
> As a new Lisp programmer, I would like to ask if anyone might know of some
> samples for Lisp applications. As we might all know, Lisp is the common
> language for AI. Lisp has been around for over 50 years and I am sure that
> there are some samples of practical Lisp applications other than defining
> its syntax and functionality. As to my experience, I have seen numerous
> practical sample applications for other languages. Would anyone have any
> recommendations?

I can absolutely recommend you the Book "Paradigms of Artificial
Inteligence Programming - A classical Approach" by Peter Norvig.
It contains Lisp implementations of a lot of classical AI Programs like
"The General Problem Solver", "Eliza", "Mycin", an implementation of a
Prolog interpreter an compiler,  an implementation of a Scheme interpreter
and compiler, two symbolic simplifiers...
This book is probably one of the best Books I've ever read.

If you have access to German computer-magazines (and understand German of
course) you may want to risk a look at my third Common Lisp article in the
magazine "Toolbox". In this article I implement a symbolic mathematic
formula simplifier heavily based on code from the book above mentioned.
Peter Norvig was so kind and allowed me to use it for my article - he is a
really nice guy.

Regards,
Jochen