From: Iban Hatchond
Subject: clim usage
Hi, folks

Can somebody tell me what CLIM tells you about the function
make-device-font-text-style.
Is it a function, or a method ?
What's the type of the first parameter ?

thank's.

From: Tim Bradshaw
Subject: Re: clim usage
From: Iban Hatchond
Tim Bradshaw wrote:

> The spec describes it as a function.

Well, Iknow that fact, but the probleme is What is a display-device ?
    - a port (what seems to me not easy to use  -vs sheet or pixmap -)
    - a sheet, a pixmap, ... ????

I forgot to tell you that my question is for free-clim. And I implement
this function :

(defun make-device-font-text-style (display-device device-font-name)
  (port-make-font-text-style (port display-device) device-font-name))
==> minor issue : display-device is (or pimap sheet).
is that ok ?? Because there's nothing in the spec about display-device.

Any suggestions ?
From: Tim Bradshaw
Iban Hatchond <········@emi.u-bordeaux.fr> writes:

> Tim Bradshaw wrote:
> Well, Iknow that fact, but the probleme is What is a display-device ?
>     - a port (what seems to me not easy to use  -vs sheet or pixmap -)
>     - a sheet, a pixmap, ... ????

I'm afraid I don't know.  It may just be vague, of course.  From
memory, I think the font stuff is one of the bits of the CLIM spec
which it would be wise to think about a bit before slavishly
implementing.  In fact I think that's true of almost the whole CLIM
spec -- there doesn't seem to me to be enough public code (I'm
assuming the cvendors will continue to support the non-public code)
which relies on CLIM-as-it-is to make it worthwhile to do a literal
implementation rather than an implementation of the interesting ideas
with a lot of thought given to the hard/impossible to implement parts.
Just my opinion of course!

--tim
From: Vladimir V. Zolotych
Tim Bradshaw wrote:

> The spec describes it as a function.

Does CLIM exist for CMUCL ?

--
Vladimir Zolotych                         ······@eurocom.od.ua
From: Tim Bradshaw
"Vladimir V. Zolotych" <······@eurocom.od.ua> writes:

> Does CLIM exist for CMUCL ?

No.  Free-clim may one day, I guess.

--tim
From: Iban Hatchond
Tim Bradshaw wrote:

> "Vladimir V. Zolotych" <······@eurocom.od.ua> writes:
>

> > Does CLIM exist for CMUCL ?
> >

> No.  Free-clim may one day, I guess.
>
> --tim

We are working for it. But everybody's welcome.
Anyway, you can see the advancement on the Mike McDonald home page :
    http://www.mikemac.com/mikemac/McCLIM/