From: Dag Spicer
Subject: 3/8/01 Computer History Lecture: John McCarthy "The Origins of Artificial Intelligence"
The Computer Museum History Center is delighted to present:

The 1956 Dartmouth Workshop and its Immediate Consequences:
The Origins of Artificial Intelligence

John McCarthy
Professor Emeritus, Computer Science
School of Engineering
Stanford University

6:00 - 7:30 p.m.
Thursday, March 8, 2001
NASA Ames Main Auditorium
(Building 201)
Moffett Federal Airfield
Mountain View, CA

7:30 - 8:30 p.m.
Reception at the History Center's
Visible Storage Exhibit Area
(Bldg 126)
Moffett Federal Airfield

Abstract of Talk
In the summer of 1955, Marvin Minsky, Nathaniel Rochester, Claude Shannon
and John McCarthy proposed a summer workshop on artificial intelligence to
be held at Dartmouth in the summer of 1956. It was hoped that the workshop
would bring in new ideas and make substantial progress on the AI problem.

In a proposal to the Rockefeller Foundation, the team used what was
apparently the first appearance of the phrase "artificial intelligence."

They hoped to prove "that every aspect of learning or any other feature of
intelligence can in principle be so precisely described that a machine can
be made to simulate it. An attempt will be made to find how to make
machines use language, form abstractions and concepts, solve kinds of
problems now reserved for humans, and improve themselves."

Background on Speaker
John McCarthy, Hoover Institution Senior Fellow, received his B.S. in
mathematics from the California Institute of Technology and a Ph.D. in
mathematics from Princeton University. He has been Professor of Computer
Science at Stanford University since 1962, (becoming Professor Emeritus in
January 2001) and was also Charles M. Pigott Professor in the School of
Engineering. McCarthy was Director of the Artificial Intelligence
Laboratory at Stanford from 1965 to 1980, studying the types of information
and modes of reasoning required for intelligent behavior.

He originated the LISP programming language for computing with symbolic
expressions, was one of the first to propose and design time-sharing
computer systems, and pioneered in using mathematical logic to prove the
correctness of computer programs.

McCarthy is the recipient of the A.M. Turing Award of the Association for
Computing Machinery, the first Research Excellence Award of the
International Conference on Artificial Intelligence, the Kyoto Prize, and
the National Medal of Science. He is a member of the American Academy of
Arts and Sciences, the National Academy of Engineering, and the National
Academy of Sciences. McCarthy was made a Computer Museum History Center
Fellow in 1999.

*** RSVP by Tuesday, March 6, 2001 ***
Reservations Required. Contact Wendy-Ann Francis at
·······@computerhistory.org or +1 650 604 5205 .

The Museum collection is temporarily housed within a closed Federal
facility. All guests must register in advance to be admitted.

When you RSVP, please provide:

US citizens: Full name, affiliation, address, phone number. Please bring
your picture ID.

Green Card holders: Same requirements as for US citizens above plus Green
Card number. Please bring your Green Card.

Non-US citizens: Same requirements as for US citizens above plus
citizenship, VISA type and expiration date, passport number and expiration
date, date of birth, and country of birth. Please bring your passport.

DIRECTIONS
 >From 101 North or South, take the second Moffett Exit (Moffett Field) to
the main entrance. Pass through the gate and take the first left turn.
After the yield sign, follow the circle around to the right . Building
N-201 is on the left in back of building N-200.

--
Dag Spicer
Curator & Manager of Historical Collections

Tel: +1 650 604 2578
Fax: +1 650 604 2594
E-m: ······@computerhistory.org
WWW: http://www.computerhistory.org

For the latest news, check out CORE 1.4, our on-line newsletter at:
http://www.computerhistory.org/events/core/1.4/

<······@computerhistory.org>  PGP: 15E31235 (E6ECDF74 349D1667 260759AD
7D04C178)

"All of human history, adequately examined, in the end is the history of
better tools."
Ernst Kapp, 1877

S/V 516
From: Sashank Varma
In article <········@news.ucsc.edu>, Dag Spicer
<······@computerhistory.org> wrote:

>The Computer Museum History Center is delighted to present:
>
>The 1956 Dartmouth Workshop and its Immediate Consequences:
>The Origins of Artificial Intelligence
>
>John McCarthy
>Professor Emeritus, Computer Science
>School of Engineering
>Stanford University

[to comp.lang.lisp only as i don't read the other newsgroups to which this
was sent]

on a related note, the number of AI pioneers present at the 1956 dartmouth
conference decreased by one last week when herbert simon passed away.
among other awards, simon won the turing award in computer science, the
nobel prize in economics, the lifetime contribution award in psychology,
and the national medal  of science.  you can read more at:

     http://www.cmu.edu/home/news/herb_simon.html

i just thought some fellow lispers would want to know.

sashank