From: Morten
Subject: Common  lisp  with emacs
I have read that it existed a common lisp package
for use with   emacs  or xemacs.

is this true ?   Can I write a useful  common  lisp application
and hence learn the language  using  emacs  as an IDE  ?

yours  sincerely

Morten  Gulbrandsen

From: ········@hex.net
Subject: Re: Common  lisp  with emacs
Morten <······@pool.informatik.rwth-aachen.de> writes:
> I have read that it existed a common lisp package
> for use with   emacs  or xemacs.
>
> is this true ?   Can I write a useful  common  lisp application
> and hence learn the language  using  emacs  as an IDE  ?

There is an Emacs package that adds a significant subset of CL to
Emacs Lisp.  That's not likely going to buy you exactly what you're
looking for, though.

Just about any of the major CL variants can be run in an Emacs buffer,
which does indeed provide a useful "IDE," though certainly not in the
Borland style...
--
(concatenate 'string "cbbrowne" ·@acm.org")
http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/
From: L.eh
········@hex.net pisze:

>Just about any of the major CL variants can be run in an Emacs buffer,
>which does indeed provide a useful "IDE," though certainly not in the
>Borland style...

Sorry for my lame question, but how to write and run lisp programs in
emacs using it as both editor and interpreter/compiler ? I've been
searching in emacs documentation, but cannot find it.

Pozdrawiam, Leh.
--
- I didn't know you can fly a plane ?
- Fly - yes. Land - no.  (Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade)
From: Paolo Amoroso
On Sun, 15 Apr 2001 23:43:37 +0200, L.eh <·········@z.pl> wrote:

> Sorry for my lame question, but how to write and run lisp programs in
> emacs using it as both editor and interpreter/compiler ? I've been
> searching in emacs documentation, but cannot find it.

Check ILISP:

  http://ilisp.cons.org/
  http://sourceforge.net/projects/ilisp

Paolo
From: Paolo Amoroso
On Tue, 13 Feb 2001 02:02:56 +0000, Morten
<······@pool.informatik.rwth-aachen.de> wrote:

> is this true ?   Can I write a useful  common  lisp application
> and hence learn the language  using  emacs  as an IDE  ?

You may check ILISP:

From: David Bakhash
Morten <······@pool.informatik.rwth-aachen.de> writes:

> I have read that it existed a common lisp package
> for use with emacs or xemacs.

If you use XEmacs, then I think that by default the elisp engine has
loaded the CL compatibility module.

If you're using GNU Emacs, then you explicity must evaluate

(require 'cl)

to gain the compatibility.  Once you've done that, you do get several
very useful features of Common Lisp, and you can read about them by
doing the following key sequence in (X)Emacs:

C-h i m cl <ENTER>

then scroll (i.e. with the spacebar), and read all about it.

If you know CL, then you'll notice that several VERY important
features of CL are missing.

For the missing FORMAT function, I don't know of a compatibility
module.  However, for other aspects of CL not provided by the

(require 'cl)

are:

 o a CL-like reader (which, I think, is included with XEmacs
   libraries)
 o a partial implementation of CL-style arrays, available from:

   http://mit.edu/cadet/www/cl-array.el

 o a CLOS implementation, called eieio.el, available somewhere
   recently mentioned in a post on this newsgroup, but also available
   with XEmacs, at least as part of the JDE (Java dev. env.) package.

I'd say that, given all this, you have a good environment to at least
learn about CL, and about Common Lisp programming in general.  You
have:

 o LOOP (macro)
 o structs and some CLOS support
 o lexical-let (like CL's let operator), flet, labels
 o CL-style reader

and lots of CL's functions and macros.  It's pretty slow, but for toy
programs you won't notice it.

> is this true ?  Can I write a useful common lisp application and
> hence learn the language using emacs as an IDE ?

I'd say yes; at least up to a point which you can do some interesting
things with CL.

I think many people have discovered CL this way (me included), much
thanks to Dave Gillespie.

dave