From: Neil Conway
Subject: best book on LISP?
Hi all,

I'm interested in learning Common LISP. I've been looking around for the
best book on the language, but many of the books I've found are either
out of print, out of date, or intended for a different audience than myself.

I'm not a programming newbie -- I know Perl, Ruby, Java, and bits of C
and Python -- but I know nothing about LISP or it's relatives. I've
heard the mindset best suited to programming in LISP is different than
in other languages -- if so, that's a mindset I'd need to learn. Also,
I'm only a high school student doing this in my spare time, so college
level content (e.g. AI) would be interesting, but I'd prefer to stick to
just LISP for the time being.

I'm looking for an introduction to the fundamentals of the language --
what LISP is all about. Beyond the basics, I'd like a coverage of the
important 'medium -> advanced' techniques that would help me become an
effective LISP programmer. Perhaps a case study of writing an
application in LISP would also be helpful.

So what book would everyone recommend? Please tell me if you'd like more
information.

Thanks in advance for all responses,

Neil

From: Vebjorn Ljosa
Subject: Re: best book on LISP?
* Neil Conway <····@klamath.dyndns.org>

| I'm not a programming newbie -- I know Perl, Ruby, Java, and bits of C
| and Python -- but I know nothing about LISP or it's relatives. I've
| heard the mindset best suited to programming in LISP is different than
| in other languages -- if so, that's a mindset I'd need to learn. Also,
| I'm only a high school student doing this in my spare time, so college
| level content (e.g. AI) would be interesting, but I'd prefer to stick to
| just LISP for the time being.
|
| I'm looking for an introduction to the fundamentals of the language --
| what LISP is all about. Beyond the basics, I'd like a coverage of the
| important 'medium -> advanced' techniques that would help me become an
| effective LISP programmer.

I think "ANSI Common Lisp" by Paul Graham (ISBN 0133708756) is the
right book for you.  it is an introduction to Lisp, but assumes
knowledge of programming.  contrary to many books written before the
"AI winter", its examples are not AI-related.  the book is in print
and widely available.

| Perhaps a case study of writing an
| application in LISP would also be helpful.

David J. Cooper, Jr., has written a book called "Basic Lisp
Techniques" that is available in PDF format.  it has a chapter on
how to get started with Allegro Common Lisp (using the Emacs
interface, the debugger, and so on), and the last two chapters seem to
provide what you're after: a lengthy example of creating a personal
accounting application.

you can download it from
<URL:http://www.franz.com/resources/educational_resources/cooper.book.pdf>.

--
Vebjorn Ljosa
From: dave linenberg
The best place for info to start is http://www.alu.org/ for general Lisp
information.

The best *free* books, in my opinion, can be found at:

http://psg.com/~dlamkins/sl/html/contents.html

and
http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~dst/LispBook/   <--- you will need Adobe acrobat
(windows, or linux) or a postscript reader like Ghostview (linux)

To teach yourself the language, use the above books, and either Linux
with Emacs and
* the franz ACL Linux trial edition www.franz.com
* CMUCL    www.cons.org
* CLISP        www.cons.org

or for windows
the Franz trial edition  www.franz.com
corman Lisp     http://www.corman.net/CormanLisp.html

dave linenberg
········@home.com
From: Rene Kyllingstad
dave linenberg <········@home.com> writes:

> The best place for info to start is http://www.alu.org/ for general Lisp
> information.
>
> The best *free* books, in my opinion, can be found at:
>
> http://psg.com/~dlamkins/sl/html/contents.html
>
> and
> http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~dst/LispBook/   <--- you will need Adobe acrobat
> (windows, or linux) or a postscript reader like Ghostview (linux)

A new edition of "ANSI Common Lisp" by Paul Graham is supposed to be out
in March so it might be worth using other resources until then. (I heard
this 8-9 months ago, btw.)
From: Dr. Edmund Weitz
Where did you hear this? There's nothing about it on Paul Graham's
website. I just thought about replacing my German translation (which
has a couple of errors) with the original edition but I might wait
some more weeks if this is true.

Thanks,
Edi.

Dr. Edmund Weitz
Hamburg
Germany

From: F. Xavier Noria
On Sun, 04 Feb 2001 03:20:47 GMT, ···@agharta.de (Dr. Edmund Weitz) wrote:

; Where did you hear this? There's nothing about it on Paul Graham's
; website. I just thought about replacing my German translation (which
; has a couple of errors) with the original edition but I might wait
; some more weeks if this is true.

According to amazon.co.uk the book is going to be published this
very month, I have seen that date there since June 2000 IIRC:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0130961388/o/qid=981289099/sr=8-1/202-1274342-6597419

-- fxn
From: Dr. Edmund Weitz
I just asked Paul Graham (sent an email to the address on his website)
and he said, no, no plans for a new edition. So, maybe this is just a
re-print of the original book.

Edi.