From: Juanjo
Subject: ECL will support Mac OSX
Hi,

these days I have been working on porting the ECLS
interpreter/compiler to the MacOSX environment. From my account at
SourceForge this seems to work. However I had to perform strange
tweaks to the lisp->C translator in order not to crash the C compiler.
Thus it would be nice if people here having OS X could checkout the
latest CVS version and give them a try.

You can get more information about the ECL project at
http://ecls.sourceforge.net Please notice that the MacOSX is only
supported by the latest CVS version, not the latest release. Regarding
the status of this port

1�) The interpreter works 100% as in all other platforms
2�) You have to use "./configure --disable-boehm" because the Boehm
collector does not support Mac OSX and ECL has to be compiled with its
own collector (slow, but rather safe and slim)
3�) Porting to OSX implied changing the collector so that it is based
on mmap(). This results in smaller memory images in some platforsm,
such as FreeBSD.
4�) The lisp->C translator works, but it can only produce statically
linked executables, as the current implementation relies on features
of dlopen() which are only present in FreeBSD and Linux.

Have fun.

	Juanjo

From: Bruce Hoult
Subject: Re: ECL will support Mac OSX
In article <··························@posting.google.com>,
····@arrakis.es (Juanjo) wrote:

> 2�) You have to use "./configure --disable-boehm" because the Boehm
> collector does not support Mac OSX and ECL has to be compiled with its
> own collector (slow, but rather safe and slim)

Boehm works fine for Gwydion Dylan on MacOS X.

-- Bruce
From: Juan Jose Garcia Ripoll
Bruce Hoult wrote:

> In article <··························@posting.google.com>,
> ····@arrakis.es (Juanjo) wrote:
>
>> 2�) You have to use "./configure --disable-boehm" because the Boehm
>> collector does not support Mac OSX and ECL has to be compiled with its
>> own collector (slow, but rather safe and slim)
>
> Boehm works fine for Gwydion Dylan on MacOS X.

I have not been able to use this collector with the MacOS X machines in
SourceForge -- ECL simply crashes --. I don't know whether this is due to
the version I use (6.0) or to the fact that the collector should be somehow
customized. If anyone has a clue or makes ECL compile without
--disable-boehm, I would like to know.

Juanjo

--
Juan Jose Garcia Ripoll www: http://matematicas.uclm.es/~jjgarcia/
Dpto. de Matematicas    job: ········@ind-cr.uclm.es
From: Bruce Hoult
In article <··········@news.arrakis.es>, ····@arrakis.es wrote:

> Bruce Hoult wrote:
>
> > In article <··························@posting.google.com>,
> > ····@arrakis.es (Juanjo) wrote:
> >
> >> 2�) You have to use "./configure --disable-boehm" because the Boehm
> >> collector does not support Mac OSX and ECL has to be compiled with its
> >> own collector (slow, but rather safe and slim)
> >
> > Boehm works fine for Gwydion Dylan on MacOS X.
>
> I have not been able to use this collector with the MacOS X machines in
> SourceForge -- ECL simply crashes --. I don't know whether this is due to
> the version I use (6.0) or to the fact that the collector should be
> somehow customized. If anyone has a clue or makes ECL compile without
> --disable-boehm, I would like to know.

We updated to 6.1alpha1 in September.  That's got some MacOS X fixes,
but I think it was working OK for us on OS X with 6.0alpha6 as well.

-- Bruce