From: Thaddeus L Olczyk
Subject: Free/Open source lisps for Windows.
I am working on an open source project which requires a lot of
"scripting" ( meaning dynamically/interactively generating code ).
At first I was going to use ruby or python, but after thought,
Lisp seems like a good alternativer to use.

The thing is that I can don't want people to be apprehensive of
anything they download with this ( also they may want to use the
program for commercial development an LGPL sort of thing ).
So I don't want to force them to download anything which may
have a slightly vague ( ie free for noncommercial use ) license.
Best if I can include the core in my program.

This is to run on Windows NT.
Any suggestions on an open source compiler?

From: Friedrich Dominicus
Subject: Re: Free/Open source lisps for Windows.
······@interaccess.com (Thaddeus L Olczyk) writes:

> The thing is that I can don't want people to be apprehensive of
> anything they download with this ( also they may want to use the
> program for commercial development an LGPL sort of thing ).
> So I don't want to force them to download anything which may
> have a slightly vague ( ie free for noncommercial use ) license.
> Best if I can include the core in my program.
ECLS? or now ECL?
http://ecls.sourceforge.net/

> This is to run on Windows NT.
I'm not sure it it runs on Windows but you may have a look yourself.

Regards
Friedrich
From: Dr. Edmund Weitz
Friedrich Dominicus <·····@q-software-solutions.com> writes:

> ECLS? or now ECL?
> http://ecls.sourceforge.net/
> >
> > This is to run on Windows NT.
> I'm not sure it it runs on Windows but you may have a look yourself.

Under Windows 2000 it can be built with cygwin. Looks like it's worth
trying it with NT.

Edi.
From: Sam Steingold
> * In message <···················@nntp.interaccess.com>
> * On the subject of "Free/Open source lisps for Windows."
> * Sent on Fri, 28 Dec 2001 16:58:38 GMT
> * Honorable ······@interaccess.com (Thaddeus L Olczyk) writes:
>
> This is to run on Windows NT.
> Any suggestions on an open source compiler?

CLISP <http://clisp.cons.org> runs on win32 and UNIX (and Amiga, Acorn &c)
It is covered by the GNU GPL, but this does _not_ necessarily prevent
you from distributing commercial software compiled with CLISP.
Please see <http://clisp.cons.org/impnotes.html#app-dev> for details.

--
Sam Steingold (http://www.podval.org/~sds)
Keep Jerusalem united! <http://www.onejerusalem.org/Petition.asp>
From: Brian P Templeton
Sam Steingold <···@gnu.org> writes:

>> * In message <···················@nntp.interaccess.com>
>> * On the subject of "Free/Open source lisps for Windows."
>> * Sent on Fri, 28 Dec 2001 16:58:38 GMT
>> * Honorable ······@interaccess.com (Thaddeus L Olczyk) writes:
>>
>> This is to run on Windows NT.
>> Any suggestions on an open source compiler?
>
> CLISP <http://clisp.cons.org> runs on win32 and UNIX (and Amiga, Acorn &c)
> It is covered by the GNU GPL, but this does _not_ necessarily prevent
> you from distributing commercial software compiled with CLISP.
Of course it doesn't prevent you from distributing commercial
software! However, you probably meant that it doesn't necessarily
prevent you from distributing proprietary software, which is an
entirely different issue.

> Please see <http://clisp.cons.org/impnotes.html#app-dev> for details.
>
> --
> Sam Steingold (http://www.podval.org/~sds)
> Keep Jerusalem united! <http://www.onejerusalem.org/Petition.asp>
> Read, think and remember! <http://www.iris.org.il> <http://www.memri.org/>
> Our business is run on trust.  We trust you will pay in advance.

--
BPT <···@tunes.org>	    		/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign
backronym for Linux:			\ / No HTML or RTF in mail
From: Sam Steingold
> * In message <··············@tunes.org>
> * On the subject of "Re: Free/Open source lisps for Windows."
> * Sent on Fri, 04 Jan 2002 00:59:27 GMT
> * Honorable Brian P Templeton <···@tunes.org> writes:
>
> Sam Steingold <···@gnu.org> writes:
>
> > CLISP <http://clisp.cons.org> runs on win32 and UNIX (and Amiga, Acorn &c)
> > It is covered by the GNU GPL, but this does _not_ necessarily prevent
> > you from distributing commercial software compiled with CLISP.
>
> Of course it doesn't prevent you from distributing commercial
> software! However, you probably meant that it doesn't necessarily
> prevent you from distributing proprietary software, which is an
> entirely different issue.
>
> > Please see <http://clisp.cons.org/impnotes.html#app-dev> for details.

if you had bothered to click on this link, you would have realized that
I did mean the licensing issues and not the price.

Indeed, you _can_ sell non-GPLed software compiled with GNU CLISP.

--
Sam Steingold (http://www.podval.org/~sds)
Keep Jerusalem united! <http://www.onejerusalem.org/Petition.asp>
Read, think and remember! <http://www.iris.org.il> <http://www.memri.org/>
Lisp is a language for doing what you've been told is impossible. - Kent Pitman
From: Brian P Templeton
Sam Steingold <···@gnu.org> writes:

>> * In message <··············@tunes.org>
>> * On the subject of "Re: Free/Open source lisps for Windows."
>> * Sent on Fri, 04 Jan 2002 00:59:27 GMT
>> * Honorable Brian P Templeton <···@tunes.org> writes:
>>
>> Sam Steingold <···@gnu.org> writes:
>>
>> > CLISP <http://clisp.cons.org> runs on win32 and UNIX (and Amiga, Acorn &c)
>> > It is covered by the GNU GPL, but this does _not_ necessarily prevent
>> > you from distributing commercial software compiled with CLISP.
>>
>> Of course it doesn't prevent you from distributing commercial
>> software! However, you probably meant that it doesn't necessarily
>> prevent you from distributing proprietary software, which is an
>> entirely different issue.
>>
>> > Please see <http://clisp.cons.org/impnotes.html#app-dev> for details.
>
> if you had bothered to click on this link, you would have realized that
> I did mean the licensing issues and not the price.

Exactly. The GPL allows you to sell GPLed software. However, the GPL
does not allow you to distribute proprietary software based on GPLed
software (or, more specifically, it doesn't allow you to distribute
software based on GPLed software under a non-GPL-compatible license).
But, in some cases, as with most interpreters and compilers (e.g.,
gcc), and some other tools (i.e., yacc, IIRC), you *can* distribute
software licensed under a non-GPL-compatible license that is based on
the GPLed software in some specific way. I knew you meant licensing
issues and not price; that's why I suggested that perhaps you meant
proprietary (not commercial) software.