From: Tim Lavoie
Subject: ilisp to cmucl via network?
Hello,

I was wondering if there is a nice way to use ilisp to connect to CMUCL
session which is already running, using a connection listener that I could
leave up and connect to when needed.

What I'm basically trying to do is some tinkering with mod_lisp, which I
would like to leave running, while still being able to use the nice features
of ilisp when I want to add or change something. Any more elegant method I
haven't thought of is, of course, appreciated.

	Thanks,
	Tim

From: Matt Curtin
Subject: Re: ilisp to cmucl via network?

  Tim> I was wondering if there is a nice way to use ilisp to connect
  Tim> to CMUCL session which is already running, using a connection
  Tim> listener that I could leave up and connect to when needed.

Be careful that you don't leave a Lisp listener out there for anyone
anywhere on the Internet to be able to use.  Not that many script
kiddies would know the difference between an S-expression and a core
dump.  But if someone should abuse it, having someone say "your Lisp
made the system vulnerable to a trivial attack" wouldn't likely aid
your ability to use it without having to fight more battles.

The answer to your question is that you probably will need to hack up
some code yourself; perhaps what you'll really need is some code from
telnet.el to make the connection for ILISP to know how to talk across
the network...

--
Matt Curtin, Founder  Interhack Corporation  http://web.interhack.com/
My new book,  "Developing Trust: Online Privacy and Security,"  is now
From: Tim Lavoie
In article <··············@rowlf.interhack.net>, Matt Curtin wrote:

>  Tim> I was wondering if there is a nice way to use ilisp to connect
>  Tim> to CMUCL session which is already running, using a connection
>  Tim> listener that I could leave up and connect to when needed.
>
> Be careful that you don't leave a Lisp listener out there for anyone
> anywhere on the Internet to be able to use.  Not that many script
> kiddies would know the difference between an S-expression and a core
> dump.  But if someone should abuse it, having someone say "your Lisp
> made the system vulnerable to a trivial attack" wouldn't likely aid
> your ability to use it without having to fight more battles.
>
> The answer to your question is that you probably will need to hack up
> some code yourself; perhaps what you'll really need is some code from
> telnet.el to make the connection for ILISP to know how to talk across
> the network...

Heheh. Thanks, I wasn't going to do anything *too* silly, since the port
would at least be firewalled, or perhaps sitting only on localhost since I'd
use SSH to log in first. Nor would I put in a big text box with "enter your
random S-expression here" on it. (or maybe I would, but only protected) :-)

       Tim
From: Dr. Edmund Weitz
Tim Lavoie <········@spamcop.net> writes:

> I was wondering if there is a nice way to use ilisp to connect to
> CMUCL session which is already running, using a connection listener
> that I could leave up and connect to when needed.
>
> What I'm basically trying to do is some tinkering with mod_lisp,
> which I would like to leave running, while still being able to use
> the nice features of ilisp when I want to add or change
> something. Any more elegant method I haven't thought of is, of
> course, appreciated.

Daniel Barlow's detachtty might be what you're looking for,

  <http://ww.telent.net/cliki/detachtty>

or screen,

  <http://www.gnu.org/software/screen/>

but I think detachtty is better suited for your task.

Edi.
From: Tim Lavoie
In article <··············@bird.agharta.de>, Dr. Edmund Weitz wrote:

> Daniel Barlow's detachtty might be what you're looking for,
>
>  <http://ww.telent.net/cliki/detachtty>
>
> or screen,
>
>  <http://www.gnu.org/software/screen/>
>
> but I think detachtty is better suited for your task.
>
> Edi.

Excellent! It sounds pretty much exactly what I need.

	   Thanks,
	   Tim
From: Thomas F. Burdick
···@agharta.de (Dr. Edmund Weitz) writes:

> Tim Lavoie <········@spamcop.net> writes:
>
> > I was wondering if there is a nice way to use ilisp to connect to
> > CMUCL session which is already running, using a connection listener
> > that I could leave up and connect to when needed.
> >
> > What I'm basically trying to do is some tinkering with mod_lisp,
> > which I would like to leave running, while still being able to use
> > the nice features of ilisp when I want to add or change
> > something. Any more elegant method I haven't thought of is, of
> > course, appreciated.
>
> Daniel Barlow's detachtty might be what you're looking for,
>
>   <http://ww.telent.net/cliki/detachtty>

Hmm, can you use that to connect cmucl to ilisp, though?

Another, more drastic, measure would be to switch to Hemlock, since it
can have multiple slaves, including remotely.

--
           /|_     .-----------------------.
         ,'  .\  / | No to Imperialist war |
From: Daniel Barlow
···@famine.OCF.Berkeley.EDU (Thomas F. Burdick) writes:

> Hmm, can you use that to connect cmucl to ilisp, though?

In principle, yes.  C-u M-x your-lisp-dialect will prompt for a
program to run, and you tell it to run attachtty instead of cmucl or
whatever.

In practice it may get a little messy when you start compiling
functions and files unless the cmucl machine and the emacs machine are
seeing the same directory.  Also you need to look at whatever ilisp
sends the inferior lisp when it starts and check it won't have any bad
effects if sent in the middle of a session, sent twice, etc etc.

It would be neat to use detachtty with TRAMP (emacs ange-ftp on
steroids), but then you'd need to have an implementation that
understood about remote hosts, and teach TRAMP the same syntax.  Could
be fun ...

In answer to the security question asked elsewhere in this thread,
detachtty/attachtty communicate over unix-domain sockets only.  It
deals with network communications by farming the job off to ssh - if
you run "attachtty some.other.host:/path/to/socket" it will spawn ssh
to connect to some.other.host and run attachtty again there.

-dan

--

  http://ww.telent.net/cliki/ - Link farm for free CL-on-Unix resources
From: Tim Lavoie
In article <···············@famine.OCF.Berkeley.EDU>, Thomas F. Burdick wrote:
> ···@agharta.de (Dr. Edmund Weitz) writes:
>
>> Tim Lavoie <········@spamcop.net> writes:
>>
>> > I was wondering if there is a nice way to use ilisp to connect to
>> > CMUCL session which is already running, using a connection listener
>> > that I could leave up and connect to when needed.
>> >
>> > What I'm basically trying to do is some tinkering with mod_lisp,
>> > which I would like to leave running, while still being able to use
>> > the nice features of ilisp when I want to add or change
>> > something. Any more elegant method I haven't thought of is, of
>> > course, appreciated.
>>
>> Daniel Barlow's detachtty might be what you're looking for,
>>
>>   <http://ww.telent.net/cliki/detachtty>
>
> Hmm, can you use that to connect cmucl to ilisp, though?
>
> Another, more drastic, measure would be to switch to Hemlock, since it
> can have multiple slaves, including remotely.

Well, it does help, though not quite there yet. I defined a new dialect
within ilisp, which is based on cmucl, but runs "attachtty socketfile"
instead of running lisp directly. It does connect fine, though now the cmucl
output is cluttered by carriage returns at line endings like this: ^M

Instead of leaving, I just disconnect. Within XEmacs, C-c C-\ does the trick.
On the other hand, I'd forgotten about Hemlock, which I've never used. I'll
check that out too.

      Thanks,
      Tim
From: Dr. Edmund Weitz
···@famine.OCF.Berkeley.EDU (Thomas F. Burdick) writes:

> ···@agharta.de (Dr. Edmund Weitz) writes:
>
> > Daniel Barlow's detachtty might be what you're looking for,
> >
> >   <http://ww.telent.net/cliki/detachtty>
>
> Hmm, can you use that to connect cmucl to ilisp, though?

You can use it through Emacs comint modes, and it'll work with
'run-lisp'. I haven't gotten it to work with 'run-ilisp' yet, but I
didn't try very hard.

Edi.