From: Kenny Tilton
Subject: Puzzle: Zero vs. zero
This:

In Trial ACL 6.1:

(defun thet (&rest yabba)
  (/ pi (length yabba)))

...when called like this:

(thet)

1. returns #.EXCL::*INFINITY-DOUBLE* if reached mid-app -or- evaluated
interactively by pointing to source in an editor window and asking ACL
to evaluate it

2. signals div-by-zero error if entered in the debugger window.

I realize ACL uses an interpreter instead of compiling debugger forms,
hence no surprise that different results are obtained.

I guess I am surprised that evaluating a form interactively from the
editor works like the compiled code instead of the interpreter, but that
might be a question for Franz.

And the double-infinity... well, I was going to say something tolerant
about how this might make sense given casting to floating-point, but on
second thought zero converts to floating point cleanly, so...?

Bug report to Franz? or does the above make sense?

kenny
clinisys

From: Steven M. Haflich
Subject: Re: Puzzle: Zero vs. zero
Kenny Tilton wrote:

> (defun thet (&rest yabba)
>   (/ pi (length yabba)))
>
> ...when called like this:
>
> (thet)
> I guess I am surprised that evaluating a form interactively from the
> editor works like the compiled code instead of the interpreter, but that
> might be a question for Franz.

RTFANS 12.2.27
From: Dr. Edmund Weitz
"Steven M. Haflich" <···@franz.com> writes:

> RTFANS 12.2.27

???

Edi.
From: Kent M Pitman
···@agharta.de (Dr. Edmund Weitz) writes:

> "Steven M. Haflich" <···@franz.com> writes:
>
> > RTFANS 12.2.27
>
> ???

Read The Fine American National Standard.

"F" actually sometimes stands for a less friendly four-letter
word than "fine", but I'm _sure_ Steve would never use such
a word.

The canonical term in this acronym family is RTFM, where M
stands for "manual".
From: Dr. Edmund Weitz

> ···@agharta.de (Dr. Edmund Weitz) writes:
>
> > "Steven M. Haflich" <···@franz.com> writes:
> >
> > > RTFANS 12.2.27
> >
> > ???
>
> Read The Fine American National Standard.
>
> "F" actually sometimes stands for a less friendly four-letter
> word than "fine", but I'm _sure_ Steve would never use such
> a word.
>
> The canonical term in this acronym family is RTFM, where M
> stands for "manual".

Yep, I was aware of the RTFM acronym and thought that ANS was
referring to the ANSI standard. But I couldn't find 12.2.27 in the
CLHS. 12 is "Numbers", 12.2 is "The Numbers Dictionary", but no
12.2.27 in my copy...

Thanks,
Edi.
From: Kenny Tilton
Don't know if this will work, but:

http://www.franz.com/support/documentation/6.1/ansicl/dictentr/unnamed4.htm

I was more interested in why a form evaluated in the editor behaved like
compiled code, but the above at least explains the infinity result
dividing by zero: results are unspecified.

kenny
clinisys
From: Dr. Edmund Weitz

> Don't know if this will work, but:
>

> http://www.franz.com/support/documentation/6.1/ansicl/dictentr/unnamed4.htm
>
> I was more interested in why a form evaluated in the editor behaved like
> compiled code, but the above at least explains the infinity result
> dividing by zero: results are unspecified.

Thanks. Looks like in Franz' version the function entries (like "/")
are explicitely numbered while in the CLHS they're not.

Edi.
From: Kent M Pitman
···@agharta.de (Dr. Edmund Weitz) writes:

> Kenny Tilton <·······@nyc.rr.com> writes:
>
> > Don't know if this will work, but:
> >

> > http://www.franz.com/support/documentation/6.1/ansicl/dictentr/unnamed4.htm
> >
> > I was more interested in why a form evaluated in the editor behaved like
> > compiled code, but the above at least explains the infinity result
> > dividing by zero: results are unspecified.
>
> Thanks. Looks like in Franz' version the function entries (like "/")
> are explicitely numbered while in the CLHS they're not.

Right.  Nor are they numbered in the real ANS.  But / is the 27th entry in
12.2 if you count by hand in CLHS. :)