From: Tim Bradshaw
Subject: Google and threading
Being constrained to read news via google at the moment has
interesting side-effects.  One thing is that their threading system is
pretty rudimentary - I think it threads on subject not references or
something.  And now they have all this extra stuff the results are
just strange.  There's a thread called `lisp' which is in the current
25-most-recent thread.  Google thinks the earliest article in it is
this:

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=g:thl871944713d&hl=da&selm=193140uvacs.CS.VIRGINIA.EDU

(it or the web browser is also going to *insist* on breaking the line,
cretin thing).  This is from 1987! It's obviously just found all the
articles with that title and glued them together...  Maybe they need
some intelligence in their news threading system...

--tim

From: glauber
Subject: Re: Google and threading
··········@tfeb.org (Tim Bradshaw) wrote in message news:<····························@posting.google.com>...
> Being constrained to read news via google at the moment has
> interesting side-effects.  One thing is that their threading system is
> pretty rudimentary - I think it threads on subject not references or
[...]

Google is no Deja. :-(

It's only barely usable, because there is no alternative. This was a
sad thing: Deja grew until it assimilated all Usenet users, then it
croaked and almost took Usenet down with it.

On the up side, i heard they like Lisp, so in time all minor problems
will be resolved!

From: Kent M Pitman
··········@my-deja.com (glauber) writes:

> Google is no Deja. :-(
>
> It's only barely usable, because there is no alternative. This was a
> sad thing: Deja grew until it assimilated all Usenet users, then it
> croaked and almost took Usenet down with it.
>
> On the up side, i heard they like Lisp, so in time all minor problems
> will be resolved!

Or else they'll have a really popular scapegoat handy to blame their
management failures on.  Great...
From: Ray Blaak
··········@my-deja.com (glauber) writes:
> Google is no Deja. :-(
>
> It's only barely usable, because there is no alternative. This was a
> sad thing: Deja grew until it assimilated all Usenet users, then it
> croaked and almost took Usenet down with it.

Let me give my vote for Google.

The searches are fast and the threads display efficiently, much more
efficiently than Deja used to.

The only bug I encountered was that search results often omit articles in the
same thread. However, jump to the thread and there they are.

Most importantly, however, article viewing is not cluttered with all of the ad
crap!

--
Cheers,                                        The Rhythm is around me,
                                               The Rhythm has control.