From: Arthur T. Murray
Subject: Re: lisp
"Indigo" <·················@hotmail.com> wrote on Tue, 11 Dec 2001:
> Does anyone still use Lisp?
>
> I had to learn some at college for a project, it seemed
> antiquated and the syntax was bloomin' rubbish.
LISP (List Processing) is still a major AI language (cf.
http://mind.sourceforge.net/lisp.html -- Open Source AI.)

http://mind.sourceforge.net/java.html -- also worthwhile.

> Like, does anyone use Fortran or Cobol any more either?
For engineers, "A mighty FORTRAN is our God."

Arthur T. Murray, http://www.scn.org/~mentifex/
--
The first-ever Mentifex post on Usenet (on 28 January 1985):
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&th=d9098e459276596f&rnum=1

From: Martin Cote
I have been using Scheme (a LISP dialect) for about a year now, so yes, many
people still use LISP.  In fact, many companies such as Oracle or AMD have
Scheme licenses to controle a few of their modules where C++ or Java doesn't
give good performances.

And yes, Prolog and LISP are widely used in AI.

Don't despair ;)

M.

From: ········@acm.org
"Martin Cote" <········@videotron.ca> writes:
> I have been using Scheme (a LISP dialect) for about a year now, so
> yes, many people still use LISP.

Well, your comment would seem to indicate that _one_ person still uses
Lisp, which is somewhat fewer than "many," but I'm being a wag here;
don't take it seriously :-).

> In fact, many companies such as Oracle or AMD have Scheme licenses
> to controle a few of their modules where C++ or Java doesn't give
> good performances.

This claim, on the other hand, is Quite Interesting, and it would seem
worthwhile to examine it closer.

 -> Why do you say "Scheme licenses"?
    I would think it more likely that they'd be using Scheme _programs_.

 -> Oracle and AMD?
    It would be most interesting to see specific citations on this.

The claims surround Scheme, and would be more likely to be of direct
interest at comp.lang.scheme, although if they're using "some
variation on Lisp," I'm sure many would be interested in hearing
actual evidence thereof...
--
(concatenate 'string "aa454" ·@freenet.carleton.ca")
http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/rdbms.html
From: Jochen Schmidt
Martin Cote wrote:

> I have been using Scheme (a LISP dialect) for about a year now, so yes,
> many
> people still use LISP.  In fact, many companies such as Oracle or AMD have
> Scheme licenses to controle a few of their modules where C++ or Java
> doesn't give good performances.
>
> And yes, Prolog and LISP are widely used in AI.

Minor sidenote: We tend to call it "Lisp" and not "LISP" this days...

ciao,
Jochen
From: Jochen Schmidt