From: David A. Cobb
Subject: Lisp threads
Is there any current work on what multi-threadedness would look like to
LISP?  Either theoretical or real.

Thanks
--
David A. Cobb, Software Engineer, Public Access Advocate.
New PGP key 09/13/2001:
From: Christopher Stacy
Subject: Re: Lisp threads

 David> Is there any current work on what multi-threadedness would look like to
 David> LISP?  Either theoretical or real.

Most Lisp implementations support multi-threading.
They usually call it "processes", because they've been supporting those
capabilities for over a decade before the term "thread" came into common
use (eg. with Unix in the late 1980s).  Any given Lisp implementation might
directly use the underlying operating system's threads facility, or more
commonly uses its own internal scheduler. The capabilities provided across
the different Lisp's are pretty similar, but it's not been standardized as
part of the language: the function names vary a little.  Searching for
"process" in the documentation will always find it, but searching for
"thread" will probably not find it.