From: Michael J. Ferrador
Subject: [CMUCL] Web page doc - source path
Oh no, not another newbie...

And since there was talk of updates...

---

In step 6 of http://www.cons.org/cmucl/download.html

trunk: seems wrong - can't find source

so I dug around the .ps docs and came up w/ target:
and to make it match the first line I used
(ext:unix-namestring "/path/to/src/")

or do you only need that if you are using the
prefixes: ?

From: Eric Marsden
Subject: Re: [CMUCL] Web page doc - source path

  mjf> In step 6 of http://www.cons.org/cmucl/download.html
  mjf> trunk: seems wrong - can't find source
  mjf>
  mjf> so I dug around the .ps docs and came up w/ target:

you're right, you need target: for some of the distribution tarballs.
This depends on how the release binaries were built, and unfortunately
they weren't all built using the same setup. I'll fix the installation
instructions once the CMUCL projet's transition to the new machine is
complete.

  mjf> and to make it match the first line I used
  mjf> (ext:unix-namestring "/path/to/src/")
  mjf> or do you only need that if you are using the
  mjf> prefixes: ?

the UNIX-NAMESTRING is only needed to convert a search-list to a Unix
namestring; it's not necessary if you already have a namestring.
Search lists are a CMUCL-specific mechanism; see

<URL:http://www2.cons.org/ftp-area/cmucl/doc/cmu-user/extensions.html#toc38>

--
Eric Marsden                          <URL:http://www.laas.fr/~emarsden/>
From: Robert Folland
Eric Marsden <········@laas.fr> writes:

>   mjf> In step 6 of http://www.cons.org/cmucl/download.html
>   mjf> trunk: seems wrong - can't find source
>   mjf>
>   mjf> so I dug around the .ps docs and came up w/ target:
>
> you're right, you need target: for some of the distribution tarballs.

Thanks! I had this problem too. I downloaded 18c on November 10th.

--
Robert Folland
······@circinus.no
From: Michael J. Ferrador
Subject: Re: [CMUCL] diff builds
Oops, yeah - 18c x86 Linux glibc2.2 RPM

also I guess Solaris 7 (2.7) won't go on 2.6?
(will post error when I have access to the machine)
which older one should I try? SunOS 5.something ?

running 2.6 & Linux cause it's only an SS2

Might we see the other CISCs on Linux?

SPARC
MIPS (PS2 / SGI)

····················@laas.fr...

From: Eric Marsden

  mjf> also I guess Solaris 7 (2.7) won't go on 2.6?
  mjf> (will post error when I have access to the machine)
  mjf> which older one should I try? SunOS 5.something ?

you mean will the 18c SPARC binaries work on SunOS 2.6?  That part of
the download instructions is correct:

,---- http://www.cons.org/cmucl/download.html ---
| Solaris/SPARC -- the 18c binaries should work with SunOS 5.5, 5.7 and
| 5.8 (also known respectively as Solaris 2.5, Solaris 7 and Solaris 8).
| If you have an UltraSPARC processor you can get the v9 binaries, which
| use instructions which are only present on SPARC-v9 implementations;
| otherwise you should get the binaries without v9 in the name of the
| tarball. If you have an UltraSPARC the command uname -m will say
| sun4u, if you have an older machine such as a SparcStation it will
| probably say sun4m.
`----

  mjf> running 2.6 & Linux cause it's only an SS2
  mjf> Might we see the other CISCs on Linux?
  mjf> SPARC
  mjf> MIPS (PS2 / SGI)

I'm not sure I understand this ... CMUCL doesn't work on UltraLinux or
the other linux-for-sparc ports, because their signal handling isn't
up to scratch. CMUCL needs to know the address of the instruction that
caused a fault, to be able to restart execution in the right place
(and for other reasons). This information is normally accessible in
the sigcontext argument of a signal handler, but not on
linux-for-sparc. Actually it's Christopher Rhodes who has been
investigating this issue for SBCL; see
<··································@cam.ac.uk>.

CMUCL used to work on MIPS and HPPA, but none of the current
maintainers have an active interest in these platforms, so they're not
supported by current releases. Volunteers welcome, as always (though
it's not a trivial task ...).

--
Eric Marsden                          <URL:http://www.laas.fr/~emarsden/>
From: Michael J. Ferrador
Subject: [CMUCL] SPARC mem, swap, tmpfs
I have a maxed out (64M RAM) SS2 with 96M of swap, Solaris 2.6

so then after the error message below,
I added my 128M of Linux swap from the other disk.

I have a 1G of /var and /opt, with most free, so I pointed
CMU_EMPTYFILE=/var/empty

Does Solaris also have some kind of overcommit mechanism I should turn on?

I, Michael J. Ferrador <·····@orn.com> wrote in message
····························@news02.optonline.net...

> also I guess Solaris 7 (2.7) ver of CMUCL won't run on 2.6?
> (will post error when I have access to the machine)
> which older one should I try? SunOS 5.something ?

mapin: mmap: Not enough space
ensure_space: Failed to validate 67076096 bytes at 0x28000000

> running 2.6 & Linux cause it's only an SS2

---

> Might we see CMUCL on other CISC Linux?
>
> SPARC
> MIPS (PS2 / SGI)

honey, my new favorite language has been ported to PS2 Linux
I really need another development box! :-)
From: Raymond Toy
Subject: Re: [CMUCL] SPARC mem, swap, tmpfs

    Michael> I have a maxed out (64M RAM) SS2 with 96M of swap, Solaris 2.6
    Michael> so then after the error message below,
    Michael> I added my 128M of Linux swap from the other disk.

    Michael> I have a 1G of /var and /opt, with most free, so I pointed
    Michael> CMU_EMPTYFILE=/var/empty

    Michael> Does Solaris also have some kind of overcommit mechanism I should turn on?

No.  So you really need enough swap space.  I don't think you need the
EMPTYFILE stuff anymore either.

    Michael> mapin: mmap: Not enough space
    Michael> ensure_space: Failed to validate 67076096 bytes at 0x28000000

Do you have enough swap?  I think CMUCL wants to allocate some 256 MB
of memory.

I have heard from reliable sources that 18c for Solaris 7 will run on
2.5.1 without problems.

Ray