From: William Barnett-Lewis
Subject: Lisp on VAX-VMS
Longshot, I know, but is there any Lisp (aside from Gnu Emacs) out there
that will run on a Vax under VMS? Or, slightly more likely, compile
semi-cleanly under Dec C? I may have missed the info in the FAQ, in
which case pointers happily accepted.

William
--
You better watch out    What you wish for;
It better be worth it   So much to die for.

From: Sashank Varma
Subject: Re: Lisp on VAX-VMS
In article <·················@mailbag.com>, William Barnett-Lewis
<······@mailbag.com> wrote:

>Longshot, I know, but is there any Lisp (aside from Gnu Emacs) out there
>that will run on a Vax under VMS? Or, slightly more likely, compile
>semi-cleanly under Dec C? I may have missed the info in the FAQ, in
>which case pointers happily accepted.
>
>William

I used to work in Franz Lisp on Decstation 3100s under VMS.
I have a manual for this somewhere.  I even think it was
written in C, but that is a second-hand memory at best.

I also recall using a CLTL1 Common Lisp in the same environment.
No manual, though.

Sorry I can't provide specifics.  This was 9 years ago.  Both
of the experiences above were at Carnegie Mellon, if this helps.
From: Bob Bane
Sashank Varma wrote:

> I used to work in Franz Lisp on Decstation 3100s under VMS.
> I have a manual for this somewhere.  I even think it was
> written in C, but that is a second-hand memory at best.

The last time I touched it (1985 or so), Franz Lisp on VMS was actually
Franz Lisp on BSD with Eunice (BSD-like under VMS) libraries glued
around it to shield it from VMS.  An interesting environment for
prototyping, but I wouldn't use it for anything really important.
--
Remove obvious stuff to e-mail me.
Bob Bane
From: William Barnett-Lewis
Bob Bane wrote:

> Sashank Varma wrote:
(snip)
> The last time I touched it (1985 or so), Franz Lisp on VMS was actually
> Franz Lisp on BSD with Eunice (BSD-like under VMS) libraries glued
> around it to shield it from VMS.  An interesting environment for
> prototyping, but I wouldn't use it for anything really important.
> --
> Remove obvious stuff to e-mail me.
> Bob Bane

Yes, that's what the current distribution
(http://www.aiai.ed.ac.uk/~jeff/franz-for-386.html) has it in. Which
would be fine if I could track down a copy of Eunice. However, I think
that the mythical Dec Vax Lisp which used to be on the SPL cd's until
1993 would be more easily found.

William
From: Bruno Haible
Bob Bane  <····@removeme.gst.com> wrote:
> The last time I touched it (1985 or so), Franz Lisp on VMS was actually
> Franz Lisp on BSD with Eunice (BSD-like under VMS) libraries glued
> around it to shield it from VMS.  An interesting environment for
> prototyping, but I wouldn't use it for anything really important.

Actually, the computer algebra Macsyma on VMS ran on top of Franz Lisp.
It was really important (at least for my student thesis).

                      Bruno
From: Dmitri Ivanov
William Barnett-Lewis <······@mailbag.com> wrote in message
······················@mailbag.com...
> Longshot, I know, but is there any Lisp (aside from Gnu Emacs) out
there
> that will run on a Vax under VMS? Or, slightly more likely, compile
> semi-cleanly under Dec C? I may have missed the info in the FAQ, in
> which case pointers happily accepted.

As I can remember, the native DEC Lisp lived there. It was "quite
Common" and dated as 1990 or earlier.
--
Sincerely,
Dmitri Ivanov
From: Bruce O'Neel
"Dmitri Ivanov" <·······@aha.ru> wrote in message news:<············@news.aha.ru>...
> William Barnett-Lewis <······@mailbag.com> wrote in message
> ······················@mailbag.com...
> > Longshot, I know, but is there any Lisp (aside from Gnu Emacs) out
>  there
> > that will run on a Vax under VMS? Or, slightly more likely, compile
> > semi-cleanly under Dec C? I may have missed the info in the FAQ, in
> > which case pointers happily accepted.
>
> As I can remember, the native DEC Lisp lived there. It was "quite
> Common" and dated as 1990 or earlier.

Yes, I used Vax Lisp sometime in 83 or 84 or so.  It probably was
close to CLTL1 at the time.  I believe that the version of VMS was 3.x
or so given my very vague memory.
From: Thomas Käufl
·······@acm.org (Bruce O'Neel) writes:

> Yes, I used Vax Lisp sometime in 83 or 84 or so.
> It probably was close to CLTL1 at the time. ...

In the years from 85 to 89 I worked heavily with Vax Lisp.
It fulfilled the requirements of CLTL1.

I remember that Lucid Common Lisp was available for Vax
VMS to.

Thomas
From: Carl Shapiro
Thomas K�ufl <······@ira.uka.de> writes:

> I remember that Lucid Common Lisp was available for Vax
> VMS to.

This was true at least as of version 4.1, which was around late 1992.