From: Mark Jason Dominus
Subject: Alternative location for CMUCL source?
I've been trying for several days to obtain the CMUCL source code.
But the (single!) distribution machine seems to be off-net, or perhaps
there is a routing error.  Web search turns up a site in Russia that
has it, but their pipe is very narrow and I don't want to use it
unless there is no better alternative.

Is there a better alternative?

--
@P=split//,·············@d=split//,"\nrekcah xinU / lreP rehtona tsuJ";sub p{
@p{"r$p","u$p"}=(P,P);pipe"r$p","u$p";++$p;($q*=2)+=$f=!fork;map{$P=$P[$f^ord

From: Raymond Toy
Subject: Re: Alternative location for CMUCL source?

    Mark> I've been trying for several days to obtain the CMUCL source code.
    Mark> But the (single!) distribution machine seems to be off-net, or perhaps
    Mark> there is a routing error.  Web search turns up a site in Russia that
    Mark> has it, but their pipe is very narrow and I don't want to use it
    Mark> unless there is no better alternative.

I have some CVS sources from about a month or two ago.  I can make
that available if people really want it.

However, I think a new CMUCL site is in the works to replace the old
one.  No ETA but, if everything works out, it ought to be available
soon.

Ray
From: Daniel Barlow
···@plover.com (Mark Jason Dominus) writes:

> I've been trying for several days to obtain the CMUCL source code.
> But the (single!) distribution machine seems to be off-net, or perhaps

It's off the net, I believe due to the Wind River purchase of BSDI and
an office move.  The cmucl maintainers are in the process of sortihng
out a new machine.

> there is a routing error.  Web search turns up a site in Russia that
> has it, but their pipe is very narrow and I don't want to use it
> unless there is no better alternative.
>
> Is there a better alternative?

If the Debianised CMUCL is near enough for your purposes, you can get
that from any Debian mirror

 http://packages.debian.org/unstable/devel/cmucl-source.html

-dan

--

  http://ww.telent.net/cliki/ - Link farm for free CL-on-Unix resources
From: Tim Bradshaw
···@plover.com (Mark Jason Dominus) writes:

> I've been trying for several days to obtain the CMUCL source code.
> But the (single!) distribution machine seems to be off-net, or perhaps
> there is a routing error.  Web search turns up a site in Russia that
> has it, but their pipe is very narrow and I don't want to use it
> unless there is no better alternative.

I would really like it if someone could mirror this stuff, as I've had
a fair amount of difficulty getting CMUCL releases on occasion too.

I'm not volunteering as the machines I control have a pretty thin
connection and I don't have the free time to ste up & run a mirror
realistically. So this is a bad example of someone saying `I'd really
like x' without halping provide x, sorry (now if someone would pay for
a faster connecton and time that would be different (:-)).

--tim
From: Raymond Toy

    Tim> ···@plover.com (Mark Jason Dominus) writes:
    >> I've been trying for several days to obtain the CMUCL source code.
    >> But the (single!) distribution machine seems to be off-net, or perhaps
    >> there is a routing error.  Web search turns up a site in Russia that
    >> has it, but their pipe is very narrow and I don't want to use it
    >> unless there is no better alternative.
    >>

    Tim> I would really like it if someone could mirror this stuff, as I've had
    Tim> a fair amount of difficulty getting CMUCL releases on occasion too.

    Tim> I'm not volunteering as the machines I control have a pretty thin
    Tim> connection and I don't have the free time to ste up & run a mirror
    Tim> realistically. So this is a bad example of someone saying `I'd really
    Tim> like x' without halping provide x, sorry (now if someone would pay for
    Tim> a faster connecton and time that would be different (:-)).

When the new machine comes up, I think there will be more mirrors,
because we realize now how dependent on we were on the good graces of
the ISP.

Ray
From: Daniel Barlow
Tim Bradshaw <···@tfeb.org> writes:
> I would really like it if someone could mirror this stuff, as I've had
> a fair amount of difficulty getting CMUCL releases on occasion too.
>
> I'm not volunteering as the machines I control have a pretty thin
> connection and I don't have the free time to ste up & run a mirror
> realistically. So this is a bad example of someone saying `I'd really
> like x' without halping provide x, sorry (now if someone would pay for
> a faster connecton and time that would be different (:-)).

It suddenly occurs to me that I do have space on ftp.linux.org.uk
which could reasonably be used for mirroring CMUCL.  What I don't have
is infinite time to nanny it once set up, but if it can be done with
no need for me to create new logins (because I can't) - preferably
using an rsync job run from crontab, consider this an offer.

[cc'ed to cmucl maintainers]

(Of course, nothing is likely to happen until there's another machine
out there to mirror _from_ ...)

-dan

--

  http://ww.telent.net/cliki/ - Link farm for free CL-on-Unix resources
From: Pierre R. Mai
Tim Bradshaw <···@tfeb.org> writes:

> ···@plover.com (Mark Jason Dominus) writes:
>
> > I've been trying for several days to obtain the CMUCL source code.
> > But the (single!) distribution machine seems to be off-net, or perhaps
> > there is a routing error.  Web search turns up a site in Russia that
> > has it, but their pipe is very narrow and I don't want to use it
> > unless there is no better alternative.
> >

> I would really like it if someone could mirror this stuff, as I've had
> a fair amount of difficulty getting CMUCL releases on occasion too.

There is some effort going on behind the scenes to get one or more
temporary mirrors up as soon as possible.  And there is some work
going on to set-up a much more stable home for CMU CL in the future,
and that will also include a number of independent mirrors, so the
current situation (with all the problems that it had in the past) will
not likely recur...

In the mean-time, CMU CL source code for the 18c release can be gotten
from

http://www.pmsf.de/pub/

Expect more stuff to come back on-line in the next couple of days...

Regs, Pierre.

--
Pierre R. Mai <····@acm.org>                    http://www.pmsf.de/pmai/
 We cause accidents.                           -- Nathaniel Borenstein
From: Erik Winkels
Hi,

···@plover.com (Mark Jason Dominus) writes:

> Is there a better alternative?

You could try the sources tha come with the Debian Linux
distribution.  There're probably more geared towards that distro
however:

        http://packages.debian.org/stable/devel/cmucl.html
        (there's a link to the sources at the bottom of the page)

good luck,
Erik.
From: Pierre R. Mai
···@plover.com (Mark Jason Dominus) writes:

> I've been trying for several days to obtain the CMUCL source code.
> But the (single!) distribution machine seems to be off-net, or perhaps
> there is a routing error.  Web search turns up a site in Russia that
> has it, but their pipe is very narrow and I don't want to use it
> unless there is no better alternative.

The main CMUCL distribution machine, as well as its backup, is
currently still off the net, due to an unlucky series of events.  Work
is underway to bring the machine back onto the net, and to find a new,
better arrangement, so that such prolonged events will not re-occur in
the future.

In the meantime I'm trying to assemble a complete mirror of the 18c
release, to bridge the gap.  Currently I've got the complete 18c
release for x86/Linux, and I've today added the source and documents
archives.  The FreeBSD release can be gotten from the FreeBSD package
system, and I'm currently trying to locate the most recent Sparc
release binaries.

You can find all of this under

http://www.pmsf.de/pub/

Regs, Pierre.