From: Paulo J. Matos aka PDestroy
Subject: GUI Builder
Hi,
Can anyone give me a hint on what's the most used GUI builder and GUI
toolkit used? (It seems to me it is CLX but I'm not sure)

Best regards,
--
Paulo J. Matos aka PDestroy : ยทยทยทยท@rnl.ist.utl.pt
Instituto Superior Tecnico - Lisbon

From: Richard Krush
Subject: Re: GUI Builder
On 27 Aug 2001 21:39:30 +0100, Paulo J. Matos aka PDestroy wrote:
> Hi,
> Can anyone give me a hint on what's the most used GUI builder and GUI
> toolkit used? (It seems to me it is CLX but I'm not sure)

Well, if you mean free GUI toolkits and builders, then I think the most
standard one would be Garnet [1], there are also CLUE/CLIO [2], CLM [3],
and several other not-so-mature ones [4]. From the commercial ones the
standard is CLIM, which comes with free Allegro CL [5], and second standard
is CAPI, which comes with LispWorks [6].

 [1] http://www.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs.cmu.edu/project/garnet/www/garnet-home.html
 [2] http://www-cgi.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs/project/ai-repository/ai/lang/lisp/gui/
     clue/0.html
 [3] http://www-cgi.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs/project/ai-repository/ai/lang/lisp/gui/
     clm/0.html
 [4] http://www.alu.org/table/tools.htm#guitool
     http://ww.telent.net/cliki/Graphics%20Toolkit
 [5] http://www.franz.com/downloads/
 [6] http://www.xanalys.com/software_tools/index.html

From my personal experience I can say that none of the free GUI toolkits is
worth spending your energy on. CLX is nice, but to do something useful you
need to write a lot of other code (create your own widgets, callbacks, and
so on). CLM is also nice, but very undocumented, of course you can use Motif
manual pages, but not all functions are the same and many have different
argument types etc. Garnet is very nice, but the interface is quite ugly,
it has also Motif-like interface, but it isn't a work of art either. As for
the others, I have not tried them yet, right now I'm trying to play with
CLUE, but so far no luck.

I would recommend go to [5] or [6] link above and download the free version
of AllegroCL and/or LispWorks, you can use either one for unlimited period
of time for personal, educantional, and non-commercial needs.

Good luck!
From: Richard Krush
On 27 Aug 2001 21:39:30 +0100, Paulo J. Matos aka PDestroy wrote:
> Hi,
> Can anyone give me a hint on what's the most used GUI builder and GUI
> toolkit used? (It seems to me it is CLX but I'm not sure)

Well, if you mean free GUI toolkits and builders, then I think the most
standard one would be Garnet [1], there are also CLUE/CLIO [2], CLM [3],
and several other not-so-mature ones [4]. From the commercial ones the
standard is CLIM, which comes with Allegro CL [5], and second standard
is CAPI, which comes with LispWorks [6].

 [1] http://www.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs.cmu.edu/project/garnet/www/garnet-home.html
 [2] http://www-cgi.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs/project/ai-repository/ai/lang/lisp/gui/
     clue/0.html
 [3] http://www-cgi.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs/project/ai-repository/ai/lang/lisp/gui/
     clm/0.html
 [4] http://www.alu.org/table/tools.htm#guitool
     http://ww.telent.net/cliki/Graphics%20Toolkit
 [5] http://www.franz.com/
 [6] http://www.xanalys.com/software_tools/index.html

From my personal experience I can say that none of the free GUI toolkits is
worth spending your energy on. CLX is nice, but to do something useful you
need to write a lot of other code (create your own widgets, callbacks, and
so on). CLM is also nice, but very undocumented, of course you can use Motif
manual pages, but not all functions are the same and many have different
argument types etc. Garnet is very nice, but the interface is quite ugly,
it has also Motif-like interface, but it isn't a work of art either. As for
the others, I have not tried them yet, right now I'm trying to play with
CLUE, but so far no luck.

I belive the free version of LispWorks [6] contains CAPI and free version
of AllegroCL for Windows [5] has CommonWindows, which is GUI toolkit for MS
Windows.

Good luck!