From: Lijiv Khil
Subject: Best Lisp resource
Hi,
 I am looking for resources to learn lisp. I m a newbie to lisp, but I know
Haskell and the fundamentals of functional programming. So, all I need is crisp
tutorial.

 Which is the best online tutorial/manual?

 Few pointers to the language would be fine.

 Thanks,
Lijiv Khil

From: Kent M Pitman
Subject: Re: Best Lisp resource
[ replying to comp.lang.lisp only
  http://world.std.com/~pitman/pfaq/cross-posting.html ]

·········@yahoo.com (Lijiv Khil) writes:

> I am looking for resources to learn lisp. I m a newbie to lisp, but
> I know Haskell and the fundamentals of functional programming. So,
> all I need is crisp tutorial.

You may be very surprised to learn that Lisp is far from just a functional
programming language.  If all you want is that, Scheme may be your better
shot.  Common Lisp has substantial additional facilities beyond mere
functional programming.  It is explicitly designed to be a multi-paradigm
language.  Try, as you go,  not to have too many preconceived notions of
what the language has in it or how you should use that stuff.  If you come
at it from the point of view that it's merely a transliteration of Haskell,
you'll probably be frustrated by how it appears to fall short, while at
the same time missing out on lots of useful things it has to offer.

Check out www.alu.org (The Association of Lisp Users site) for some ideas.

>  Few pointers to the language would be fine.

CLHS is the Common Lisp HyperSpec, a webbed document derived directly from
ANSI Common Lisp, the language definition.  CLHS can be viewed at:
  http://www.xanalys.com/software_tools/reference/HyperSpec/FrontMatter/
You can download a local copy of CLHS for yourself from:
  http://www.xanalys.com/software_tools/reference/HyperSpec/
From: Wolfhard Buß
·········@yahoo.com (Lijiv Khil) writes:

> Hi,
>  I am looking for resources to learn lisp.

Additionally to http://www.lisp.org you might try
the following links.

The online Lisp Course
 http://www.psychologie.uni-trier.de:8000/elmart

David Cooper's Basic Lisp Techniques
 http://www.franz.com/resources/educational_resources/cooper.book.pdf

David Lamkin's Successful Lisp
 http://psg.com/~dlamkins/sl/

Common Lisp HyperSpec by Kent Pitman
 http://www.xanalys.com/software_tools/reference/HyperSpec/

CLOS MOP specification of AMOP
 http://www.alu.org/mop/

-wb
From: Stephen Harris
"Lijiv Khil" <·········@yahoo.com> wrote in message
·································@posting.google.com...
> Hi,
>  I am looking for resources to learn lisp. I m a newbie to lisp, but I
know
> Haskell and the fundamentals of functional programming. So, all I need is
crisp
> tutorial.
>
>  Which is the best online tutorial/manual?
>
>  Few pointers to the language would be fine.
>
>  Thanks,
> Lijiv Khil

I am perhaps newer than you. I needed some instruction on
programming and using emacs. I found Basic Lisp Techniques

http://www.franz.com/resources/educational_resources/

Online Chat Sessions
ELM-ART, an interactive online Lisp Tutorial created by Dr. Gerhard Weber.
CL/CLOS Compared To Other Languages
How to Learn Lisp and CLOS
White Papers

Basic Lisp Techniques, a comprehensive basic Lisp handbook
by David Cooper, Jr., designed to get you coding quickly (100+ pages)
available here in Adobe Acrobat PDF format.

Unfortunately, the ELM-ART webpage appears to be defunct.

--
Resolution and Discovery,
Stephen
From: glauber
·········@yahoo.com (Lijiv Khil) wrote in message news:<····························@posting.google.com>...
> Hi,
>  I am looking for resources to learn lisp. I m a newbie to lisp, but I know
> Haskell and the fundamentals of functional programming. So, all I need is crisp
> tutorial.
>
>  Which is the best online tutorial/manual?

This is not online, but IMhO the best resource is Paul Graham's book:
"ANSI Common Lisp" (Prentice Hall). It's the best tutorial and also a
very good reference book.

After you're done with the book, then the ANSI Lisp Hyperspec is the
best reference.

Lisp is not Haskell, though. Lisp is to Haskell as Assembly is to C.
Lisp is the kind of language people have used to invent languages like
SML and Haskell. I'm afraid knowing Haskell won't help you much with
Lisp.