From: Nikolaos Sahtaridis
Subject: Running Lisp on Windows 98
I am a former Macintosh user (AND Unix user, but this was way back...), and
being new to PCs, I am trying to download a working editor and compiler of
Common Lisp from www.lisp.org.
Now, when I tried something analogous for the Mac, I downloaded a couple of
files, decompressed them, double-clicked, the editor appeared and I was
ready to go!  On the PC, I have been downloading dozens of files (namely the
folders emacs and gcl) that bear Microsoft's logotype on them (after being
extracted), but no .exe file whatsoever , just .c and .lsp etc files, that I
have no idea how to install and use.
Is there any way to install Lisp on my PC in a straighforward manner, and
have all libraries etc installed automatically, so that I can get right in
the editor somehow from within the Windows environment (or even DOS) and
start programming?
Thanks a lot.

Nick.

From: glauber
Subject: Re: Running Lisp on Windows 98
"Nikolaos Sahtaridis" <········@the.forthnet.gr> wrote in message news:<················@athnrd02.forthnet.gr>...
> I am a former Macintosh user (AND Unix user, but this was way back...), and
> being new to PCs, I am trying to download a working editor and compiler of
> Common Lisp from www.lisp.org.

Try Corman Lisp, or try CLISP (http://clisp.sourceforge.net), get the
Windows binary (zip file) and follow the instructions in the README
file, under Installation.

From: Roger Corman
On Tue, 14 Aug 2001 15:18:52 +0300, "Nikolaos Sahtaridis"
<········@the.forthnet.gr> wrote:

>Is there any way to install Lisp on my PC in a straighforward manner, and
>have all libraries etc installed automatically, so that I can get right in
>the editor somehow from within the Windows environment (or even DOS) and
>start programming?

Please try Corman Lisp, at:
http://www.corman.net/CormanLisp.html

You should also be able to find simple-to-install lite versions from Franz
and Xanalys, among others.

Roger Corman
From: Eric Moss
Roger Corman wrote:

> On Tue, 14 Aug 2001 15:18:52 +0300, "Nikolaos Sahtaridis"
> <········@the.forthnet.gr> wrote:
>
> >Is there any way to install Lisp on my PC in a straighforward manner, and
> >have all libraries etc installed automatically, so that I can get right in
> >the editor somehow from within the Windows environment (or even DOS) and
> >start programming?
>
> Please try Corman Lisp, at:
> http://www.corman.net/CormanLisp.html
>
> You should also be able to find simple-to-install lite versions from Franz
> and Xanalys, among others.
>
> Roger Corman

... and for DOS, try

http://education.ti.com/product/software/derive/features/derivemulisp.html

It's $99 and (probably--I haven't tried it) well-implemented
user-friendly-wise.

Have fun,

Eric

--
US Supreme Court hearing 00-836
GEORGE W. BUSH, Petitioner, v. PALM BEACH COUNTY CANVASSING BOARD

Justice (Scalia?) to Mr. Klock (representing Katherine Harris):

20 and therefore, I guess, whether we win, whether your side,
21 the side you're supporting wins or loses, it doesn't
22 change that, and I guess that's moot, but my question is,
From: Peter Lewerin
I recently found newLisp (<URL: http://www.nuevatec.com/>).  It's
developed for Linux but seems to work very well on Windows (98).

BTW to other group readers: what is the common opinion on newLisp?  Is
it kosher or an abomination?  I've noticed some interesting
differences from other dialects, but to my untrained eye it appears to
be OK.
From: Rob Warnock
Subject: newLISP [was: Re: Running Lisp on Windows 98 ]
Peter Lewerin <·············@swipnet.se> wrote:
+---------------
| I recently found newLisp (<URL: http://www.nuevatec.com/>).  It's
| developed for Linux but seems to work very well on Windows (98).
|
| BTW to other group readers: what is the common opinion on newLisp?
| Is it kosher or an abomination?  I've noticed some interesting
| differences from other dialects, but to my untrained eye it appears
| to be OK.
+---------------

From just a quick look, I'd say it's closer to the "abomination" end
of the spectrum. From the user's manual:

	newLISP is closer to Scheme than it is to Common LISP,
	but is also different in some aspects from both dialects
	of LISP. In most cases the naming and working of built in
	functions is similar to ANSI Common LISP

That is, neither fish nor fowl. No matter whether you're a Scheme
prgrammer or a CL programmer (or both), you're going to be confused.

	newLISP is dynamically scoped, like original LISP...

*Neither* Scheme nor Common Lisp is dynamically scoped by default
(except CL for top-level variables only). Then they add back some
"state", in things that look like &aux variables (sort of):

	...local state variables in lambda expressions. ... The
	update of local state variables in lambda expressions is
	treated as part of an transaction, which only takes place if
	the function is completed without error. Since version 6.3
	the contents of local state variables is stored directly in
	the lambda list.

Self-modifying code??!? What happens when you instantiate multiple
instances of one of these?

	User defined functions (Lambda expressions) in newLISP
	may always be manipulated like any other list expression.

So a pure interpreter, no compilation?

	Like Scheme newLISP also evaluates the operator element
	of a list expression.

So it's a Lisp-1? [CL isn't.]

	newLISP is free of garbage collection. Only under error
	conditions newLISP needs to collect unused memory.

Clearly not suited to long-running processes.

Anyway, the list of weirdnesses goes on & on & on. [And that was
just the first screenful of the manual (excluding contents/index).]

My suggestion would be to avoid it liike the plague...

-Rob

-----
Rob Warnock, 30-3-510		<····@sgi.com>
SGI Network Engineering		<http://reality.sgi.com/rpw3/>
1600 Amphitheatre Pkwy.		Phone: 650-933-1673
Mountain View, CA  94043	PP-ASEL-IA
From: Peter Lewerin
Subject: Re: newLISP [was: Re: Running Lisp on Windows 98 ]
>My suggestion would be to avoid it liike the plague...

OK, thanks for the comments.  I might use it anyway as I only plan to
use it for nostalgia sessions[1].  I won't recommend it to others,
though.

Peter "Now I'm going to post about that Windows port of Java on
c.l.java" Lewerin

[1]  I started my programming ``career'' trying to code in AUTOLisp
using a Pascal book as tutorial and edlin as editor.  I wrote some 200
kB of source, and then they offered me money to resign.  All this is
true.
From: Stephen Harris
"Peter Lewerin" <·············@swipnet.se> wrote in message
······················@nntpserver.swip.net...

> >My suggestion would be to avoid it liike the plague...
>
> OK, thanks for the comments.  I might use it anyway as I only plan to
> use it for nostalgia sessions[1].  I won't recommend it to others,
> though.

I thought the feature of only supporting logical "and" while omitting
support for logical "or" ... logical "not" (according to the doc) dubious.

From: Brian P Templeton
"Nikolaos Sahtaridis" <········@the.forthnet.gr> writes:

> I am a former Macintosh user (AND Unix user, but this was way back...), and
> being new to PCs, I am trying to download a working editor and compiler of
> Common Lisp from www.lisp.org.
> Now, when I tried something analogous for the Mac, I downloaded a couple of
> files, decompressed them, double-clicked, the editor appeared and I was
> ready to go!  On the PC, I have been downloading dozens of files (namely the
> folders emacs and gcl) that bear Microsoft's logotype on them (after being
> extracted), but no .exe file whatsoever , just .c and .lsp etc files, that I
> have no idea how to install and use.
It looks  like you  downloaded the source  archives, *not*  the binary
distributions of these packages.

Unless you  happen to  have a checking  account with a  balance larger
than what the US's federal government can insure (to pay for MS Visual
Studio, which  is an  absolutely pathetic IDE  anyway), you  have two,
well, three options:

(1) You could install  some kind of Unix, probably  a GNU/Linux distro
    or  FreeBSD. At  a first  guess  you are  going to  react to  this
    suggestion with extreme anger  (based on my experiences with other
    MS-Windows  users).  However,  maybe  you'll like  the  other  two
    better...

(2) Get Cygwin (<URL:http://www.cygnus.com/>).  That allows you to run
    many  basic GNU  utilities when  you  are stuck  in an  MS-Windows
    environment.  It includes  the GCC  compiler and  the rest  of the
    development system (make,  m4, etc) that you will  need to compile
    things. Maybe it includes Emacs  too, but I don't know; I've never
    personally used  it before (my  school uses Windoze but  has hired
    the High Priests of the Holy Cult of Security Through Obscurity to
    ``securitize''  its Novell+Windoze 95  network... **  snicker **),
    but I have heard only positive comments about it.

(3) Look  around at  <URL:http://www.gnusoftware.com/>. They  have GNU
    software precompiled  for MS-Windows  boxen. This is  the solution
    that requires the  least change to your system.  I suspect this is
    what you are looking for.

(blatant-plug "Debian (<URL:http://www.debian.org/>):  the choice of a
GNU generation...")

(blatant-plug "TUNES  (<URL:http://www.tunes.org/>): Reflective mirror
on the  wall, what's the best OS  of them all? TUNES,  once they write
the code to go with the design!")

> Is there any way to install Lisp on my PC in a straighforward manner, and
> have all libraries etc installed automatically, so that I can get right in
> the editor somehow from within the Windows environment (or even DOS) and
> start programming?
> Thanks a lot.
>
> Nick.

hth,
--
BPT <···@tunes.org>	    		/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign
backronym for Linux:			\ / No HTML or RTF in mail
From: Friedrich Dominicus
Brian P Templeton <···@tunes.org> writes:

> "Nikolaos Sahtaridis" <········@the.forthnet.gr> writes:
>
> > I am a former Macintosh user (AND Unix user, but this was way back...), and
> > being new to PCs, I am trying to download a working editor and compiler of
> > Common Lisp from www.lisp.org.
> > Now, when I tried something analogous for the Mac, I downloaded a couple of
> > files, decompressed them, double-clicked, the editor appeared and I was
> > ready to go!  On the PC, I have been downloading dozens of files (namely the
> > folders emacs and gcl) that bear Microsoft's logotype on them (after being
> > extracted), but no .exe file whatsoever , just .c and .lsp etc files, that I
> > have no idea how to install and use.
> It looks  like you  downloaded the source  archives, *not*  the binary
> distributions of these packages.

You can use Corman Lisp and/or LispWorks and/or AllegroCL. Well to get
you running all of the mentioned Lisp will work.

> (1) You could install  some kind of Unix, probably  a GNU/Linux distro
>     or  FreeBSD. At  a first  guess  you are  going to  react to  this
>     suggestion with extreme anger  (based on my experiences with other
>     MS-Windows  users).  However,  maybe  you'll like  the  other  two
>     better...
Why? He want to do Lisp Programming. So why don't you tell him what
Lisps do run on Windows?
> > Is there any way to install Lisp on my PC in a straighforward manner, and
> > have all libraries etc installed automatically, so that I can get right in
> > the editor somehow from within the Windows environment (or even DOS) and
> > start programming?
Yes. Download Corman Lisp and/or LispWorks Personal and/or Allegro CL
Corman Lisp can be found here:
http://www.corman.net/index.html

LispWorks Personal
http://www.xanalys.com/software_tools/downloads/lw-personal-edition.html