From: Madox
Subject: Byte-compiling lisp interpreter required
Hello everyone,
 Can someone point me towards a lisp implementation that does
byte-compiling? I know emacs' ELisp does, but I do not need all the weight
of the full emacs. As well I know there is XScheme, but I can't find a link
that still works to get the source code.

 Thanks!
-Jeremy
·····@madox.ca

From: Juanjo
Subject: Re: Byte-compiling lisp interpreter required
Madox wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>  Can someone point me towards a lisp implementation that does
> byte-compiling? I know emacs' ELisp does, but I do not need all the weight
> of the full emacs. As well I know there is XScheme, but I can't find a
> link that still works to get the source code.

ECLS has a lightweight bytecodes interpreter and compiler, but it
pretty much depends on the rest of the library (part C part lisp)
to provide all the functionality.

http://ecls.sourceforge.net

        Juanjo

--
Juan Jose Garcia Ripoll www: http://matematicas.uclm.es/~jjgarcia/
Dpto. de Matematicas    job: ········@ind-cr.uclm.es
From: Per Bothner
"Madox" <·····@madox.ca> writes:

> Can someone point me towards a lisp implementation that does
> byte-compiling?

Kawa (http://www.gnu.org/software/kawa/) compiles to Java bytecodes,
so you do need a JVM.  (You can use GCJ, which can compile the result
to native code.)  Kawa has a very useable Scheme implementation, but
it is actually a multi-language framework, with partial
implementations of Common Lisp, Emacs Lisp, XQuery, and EcmaScript.
(Right now I'm concentrating on XQuery, the draft XML Query language
from W3C.  See http://www.w3.org/XML/Query .)

I mention this since you seem open to Scheme and other Lisp-like languages.
--
	--Per Bothner
···@bothner.com   http://www.bothner.com/per/
From: Thomas F. Burdick
"Madox" <·····@madox.ca> writes:

> Hello everyone,
>  Can someone point me towards a lisp implementation that does
> byte-compiling? I know emacs' ELisp does, but I do not need all the weight
> of the full emacs. As well I know there is XScheme, but I can't find a link
> that still works to get the source code.

For questions like this, it's useful to explain *why* you want what
you want.  Are you looking for a very portable platform to deploy your
app on?  If so, check out CLISP.  If you're looking to embed a lisp
system in a C program, CLISP may still do what you need, or you should
check out ECLS.  Both of these will give you powerful, standard
environments in which you can develop real systems that do Difficult
Things.  I'd reccomend staying away from the various extended scheme
implementations, as well as the weird lisp dialects (elisp, replisp,
etc.).

You can find links to CLISP and ECL-Spain at
<http://ww.telent.net/cliki/Common%20Lisp%20implementation>
From: Steven D. Majewski
In article <·······················@news3.rdc1.on.home.com>,
Madox <·····@madox.ca> wrote:
>Hello everyone,
> Can someone point me towards a lisp implementation that does
>byte-compiling? I know emacs' ELisp does, but I do not need all the weight
>of the full emacs. As well I know there is XScheme, but I can't find a link
>that still works to get the source code.

XlispStat:  <http://www.xlispstat.org/>

-- Steve Majewski