From: Jeffrey Stephens
Subject: CMUCL - Installation Problem
I am running RedHat 6.2.  I recently downloaded the cmucl_2.4.19.deb
package
and converted it to an i386.rpm using alien.  Everything seemed to go
O.K. including the
installation using the RPM Package manager.

But, when I try to invoke the program

    $ lisp <ret>

I get the following error message:

Could not open file "/usr/lib/cmucl/lisp.core".
Maybe you should run cmuclconfig?
open: No such file or directory

I ran cmuclconfig as suggested with the following results:

    Welcome to cmuclconfig!

There is now a choWelWelcome to cmuclconfig!

There is now a choice of cores to run: a small one or a
larger safe one: the following are installed, which do
you want to use as the normal lisp core?

Available cores:

Your choice:  come to cmuclconfig!

There is now a choice of cores to run: a small one or a
larger safe one: the following are installed, which do
you want to use as the normal lisp core?

Available cores:

Your choice:  ice of cores to run: a small one or a
larger safe one: the following are installed, which do
you want to use as the normal lisp core?

Available cores:

Your choice:

As you can see, there is nothing listed under Available cores.  Am I
doing something wrong, or
am I missing some other package/file/library?  Any help would be
appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Jeff Stephens

From: xauau
Subject: Re: CMUCL - Installation Problem
Jeffrey Stephens <········@tampabay.rr.com> writes:

> I am running RedHat 6.2.  I recently downloaded the cmucl_2.4.19.deb
> package
> and converted it to an i386.rpm using alien.  Everything seemed to go
> O.K. including the
> installation using the RPM Package manager.
>
> But, when I try to invoke the program
>
>     $ lisp <ret>
>
> I get the following error message:
>
> Could not open file "/usr/lib/cmucl/lisp.core".
> Maybe you should run cmuclconfig?
> open: No such file or directory

If you set a variable CMUCLLIB to point to the directory containing
your lisp.core file, it should solve the problem.
From: Christophe Rhodes
Jeffrey Stephens <········@tampabay.rr.com> writes:

> I am running RedHat 6.2.  I recently downloaded the cmucl_2.4.19.deb
> package
> and converted it to an i386.rpm using alien.  Everything seemed to go
> O.K. including the
> installation using the RPM Package manager.
>
> But, when I try to invoke the program
>
>     $ lisp <ret>
>
> I get the following error message:
>
> [...]
>
> As you can see, there is nothing listed under Available cores.  Am I
> doing something wrong, or
> am I missing some other package/file/library?  Any help would be
> appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

Yes, I'm afraid you're missing things. The cmucl debian package
contains only the C runtime; you also need a package containing a lisp
core file.

There are three debian packages: cmucl-normal, cmucl-safe, and
cmucl-small; the -normal core stays as close as possible to the
cons.org CVS; the -safe core has Peter van Eynde's improved
typechecking; and the -small core is, well, small(er).

Note that there are many later versions than 2.4.19, though admittedly
I'm not sure what libc issues exist between RH 6.2 and some of the
later precompiled debs. The current version (in debian unstable
archives) is 3.0.2

Cheers,

Christophe
--
Jesus College, Cambridge, CB5 8BL                           +44 1223 510 299
http://www-jcsu.jesus.cam.ac.uk/~csr21/                  (defun pling-dollar
From: henk van der knaap
On Sat, 4 Aug 2001, Jeffrey Stephens wrote:

> I am running RedHat 6.2.  I recently downloaded the cmucl_2.4.19.deb
> package
> and converted it to an i386.rpm using alien.  Everything seemed to go
> O.K. including the
> installation using the RPM Package manager.
>
> But, when I try to invoke the program
>
>     $ lisp <ret>
>
> I get the following error message:
>
> Could not open file "/usr/lib/cmucl/lisp.core".
> Maybe you should run cmuclconfig?
> open: No such file or directory
>
> I ran cmuclconfig as suggested with the following results:
>
>     Welcome to cmuclconfig!
>
> There is now a choWelWelcome to cmuclconfig!
>
> There is now a choice of cores to run: a small one or a
> larger safe one: the following are installed, which do
> you want to use as the normal lisp core?
>
> Available cores:
>

> Your choice:  come to cmuclconfig!
>
> There is now a choice of cores to run: a small one or a
> larger safe one: the following are installed, which do
> you want to use as the normal lisp core?
>
> Available cores:
>

> Your choice:  ice of cores to run: a small one or a
> larger safe one: the following are installed, which do
> you want to use as the normal lisp core?
>
> Available cores:
>

> Your choice:
>
> As you can see, there is nothing listed under Available cores.  Am I
> doing something wrong, or
> am I missing some other package/file/library?  Any help would be
> appreciated.  Thanks in advance.
>
> Regards,
> Jeff Stephens

Dear Jeff,

Go to  /usr/lib/cmucl and make a symbolic link to lisp-safe.core or one of
the other cores. I think you can do ln -s lisp-safe.core lisp.core

This should fix the problem. Well that is how I did it.

Henk van der Knaap,
Christchurch 8003,
New Zealand

My e-mail address is as follows: ············@paradise.net.nz

Powered by GNU/Debian 2.2 Linux, Kernel 2.4.6
From: Q u a s i
On Sat, 04 Aug 2001 00:44:32 GMT, Jeffrey Stephens
<········@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:

>I am running RedHat 6.2.  I recently downloaded the cmucl_2.4.19.deb
>package

I think there is another related .deb package for the core.  Did you
install it?
From: Luis Malheiro
Jeffrey Stephens wrote:

> I am running RedHat 6.2.  I recently downloaded the cmucl_2.4.19.deb
> package
> and converted it to an i386.rpm using alien.  Everything seemed to go
> O.K. including the
> installation using the RPM Package manager.

Hi Jeffrey, I don't know if that helps you, but I've got a 2.4.17 cmucl
rpm package from http://filewatcher.org and had no problems to install
it. But I think you will need Motif from
http://www.opengroup.org/openmotif/ if you want to install the package
cmucl-extras.