From: larry a price
Subject: Which CL implementation to start?
I'm looking at learning CL because i'm outgrowing python data structures
(trees and graphs as dicts of dicts is starting to look kind of strange
and implementing them as classes is rather verbose)
What are the benefits and tradeoffs of the following implementations:
Gnu Common Lisp - gcl
CLISP           - clisp
CMUCL           - cmucl-safe
basically the choices available in Debian-stable.

I'm interested in doing some work that involves abstracting (subsetting) a
graph from another much larger graph ut in ways that can change depending
on qualities of the nodes in the larger graph and the size and
connectedness of the result graph.

thanx much

Larry Price              |  "We have seen the truth.
·······@eUGENEfn.orEgON  |   And the truth makes no sense." -chesterton
Larry Price      |  "We have seen the truth.
·······@efn.org  |   And the truth makes no sense." -chesterton

From: Marco Antoniotti
Subject: Re: Which CL implementation to start?

As James Brown said to John Belushi... :You have seen the light" :)

> What are the benefits and tradeoffs of the following implementations:
> Gnu Common Lisp - gcl
> CLISP           - clisp
> CMUCL           - cmucl-safe
> basically the choices available in Debian-stable.

Either CLISP or CMUCL will do.  CMUCL has a very cood compiler. CLISP
does not have a real compiler but it may be easier to set up.

I do not know what is the status of GCL when it comes to ANSI
compliance.

Cheers

NYU Courant Bioinformatics Group	tel. +1 - 212 - 998 3488
719 Broadway 12th Floor                 fax  +1 - 212 - 995 4122
New York, NY 10003, USA			http://bioinformatics.cat.nyu.edu
	       "Hello New York! We'll do what we can!"
			Bill Murray in `Ghostbusters'.
From: Paolo Amoroso
On 22 Apr 2001 12:51:42 -0400, Marco Antoniotti <·······@cs.nyu.edu> wrote:

> Either CLISP or CMUCL will do.  CMUCL has a very cood compiler. CLISP
> does not have a real compiler but it may be easier to set up.

What do you mean by "real"? CLISP's compiler is probably as real as CMU
CL's, but it generates bytecode for a virtual machine instead of actual
machine code for a real CPU. CMU CL can optionally do the same.

Paolo