From: Geoffrey Summerhayes
Subject: Re: Surgeon Generals Warning- Awesome new band from Cincinnati  6240
<······@net-stafferss.com> wrote in message
····················@news2.seidata.com...
> Surgeon Generals Warning is a new band with remarkable talent, and we want
to know what you think too. Please check out www.jasonappleton.net and go to
The Vibe page, listen to a couple of their tracks and let us know what you
think and maybe if you would buy a CD if it were in stores.. If You like
them, well send you a link to download free MP3s of the bands newest songs.
We could use your help, also maybe some day if we book a gig in your area,
well send you you tickets for the show for you and 3 friends. Just a
thought. :) Thank You all.
> dnpstiohexjcjblzhekhhzndlvjwmerlpsnrxrqjbeeg

Surgeon General's Warning: Spam can be dangerous to a band's popularity.
:-(

From: Ian Wild
·······@hotmail.com wrote:

> On Wed, 11 Apr 2001 02:09:16 GMT, "Geoffrey Summerhayes"
> <·············@hNoOtSmPAaMil.com> wrote:
>
> >Surgeon General's Warning: Spam can be dangerous to a band's popularity.
> >:-(
>
> Do you know why spam subject lines usualy end with a number? :-?

Makes for easier regexping in the killfile.
From: Geoff Summerhayes
<·······@hotmail.com> wrote in message ·······································@4ax.com...
> On Wed, 11 Apr 2001 09:21:38 GMT, Ian Wild <···@cfmu.eurocontrol.be> wrote:
>
> >·······@hotmail.com wrote:

> >> Do you know why spam subject lines usualy end with a number? :-?
> >

> >Makes for easier regexping in the killfile.
>
> Yes, but determines it's spam and adds the number?

Just the opposite, to spam killers it looks like a different message because
it has a reasonable length of different characters.

Geoff
From: Jonathan Guthrie
·······@hotmail.com wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Apr 2001 02:09:16 GMT, "Geoffrey Summerhayes"
> <·············@hNoOtSmPAaMil.com> wrote:

>>Surgeon General's Warning: Spam can be dangerous to a band's popularity.
>>:-(

> Do you know why spam subject lines usualy end with a number? :-?

Because it defeats spamkillers whose definition of spam is "identical
messages posted to large numbers of newsgroups."  Simply changing the
number makes the subject line unique, so the trap isn't triggered.
Note that you can't count on a posting whose subject line ends in a
number being a spam.
From: Eugene Zaikonnikov
Jonathan>  Simply changing the number makes the subject line unique,
Jonathan>  so the trap isn't triggered.  Note that you can't count on
Jonathan>  a posting whose subject line ends in a number being a spam.

However, if about 50% of the subject is made of punctuation marks
(like in C,A.B,L.E, B,O,X. - N,O S.H,I.T type spam) one can pretty
safely filter it out.

--
  Eugene