From: Rev. Barabbas
Subject: Need help finding good book on learning LISP
	I have been looking for a good book or a web document on how to learn
LISP. I already know PERL, C/C++, and JAVA 2 (along with others i.e.
Python) but I can't seem to find any books on LISP in Barnes and Noble
or Borders...I was going to try the MIT press but I thought I'd ask you
guys first. If someone could suggest a title or a URL of a document it
would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,
Matt Yates

From: Cor Gest jr
Subject: Re: Need help finding good book on learning LISP

"Rev. Barabbas" <········@thisdoesntexist.com> writes:

> 	I have been looking for a good book or a web document on how to learn
> LISP. I already know PERL, C/C++, and JAVA 2 (along with others i.e.
> Python) but I can't seem to find any books on LISP in Barnes and Noble
> or Borders...I was going to try the MIT press but I thought I'd ask you
> guys first. If someone could suggest a title or a URL of a document it
> would be very much appreciated.

There are a lot of LISP books available, but since cash_flow rules
websites , they are scarce `web-space-wise'.
But a lot of info can be obtained at:

http://www.elwood.com/alu/table/contents.htm

cor

--
(defvar my-computer '((OS . "GNU Emacs") (Boot-Loader . "GNU Linux")))
/*    If GNU/LINUX has no solution, you've got the wrong problem    */
From: ········@hex.net
"Rev. Barabbas" <········@thisdoesntexist.com> writes:
> I have been looking for a good book or a web document on how to
> learn LISP. I already know PERL, C/C++, and JAVA 2 (along with
> others i.e.  Python) but I can't seem to find any books on LISP in
> Barnes and Noble or Borders...I was going to try the MIT press but I
> thought I'd ask you guys first. If someone could suggest a title or
> a URL of a document it would be very much appreciated.

Entertainingly, Friday night, at a local B&N, I saw such luminary
texts as CLTL2, Common Lispcraft, Art of the Metaobject Protocol,
PAIP, and even "Practical Dylan."

I often see Peter Norvig's "PAIP" (Paradigms of AI Programming: Case
Studies in Common Lisp) at B&N outlets; it is quite a good book on
Lisp programming.  Quite a number of books are available online,
including CLTL2, Successful Lisp, the Common Lisp HyperSpec, amongst
others.  See URL below for links to 'em all; you may also want to take
a look at Spamazon.com...
--
(reverse (concatenate 'string ········@" "enworbbc"))
http://vip.hex.net/~cbbrowne/commonlisp.html
From: J Scott Jaderholm
········@hex.net writes:

> Entertainingly, Friday night, at a local B&N, I saw such luminary
> texts as CLTL2, Common Lispcraft, Art of the Metaobject Protocol,
> PAIP, and even "Practical Dylan."

I'm so jealous!

I was at B&N in Boise on Friday night looking for a Dylan book and was
completely unsuccessful.  I looked around just for the fun of it and
couldn't find  single Lisp book either.  They used to carry SICP 2
years ago, but I haven't seen it since I bought it there.  Hehe,
they'd probably had that copy forever trying to get rid of it. :)

What B&N location were you at?

Sincerely,
jsj
--
the sky is tired of being blue
From: ········@hex.net
J Scott Jaderholm <·····@jaderholm.com> writes:
> ········@hex.net writes:
>
> > Entertainingly, Friday night, at a local B&N, I saw such luminary
> > texts as CLTL2, Common Lispcraft, Art of the Metaobject Protocol,
> > PAIP, and even "Practical Dylan."
>
> I'm so jealous!

> I was at B&N in Boise on Friday night looking for a Dylan book and
> was completely unsuccessful.  I looked around just for the fun of it
> and couldn't find single Lisp book either.  They used to carry SICP
> 2 years ago, but I haven't seen it since I bought it there.  Hehe,
> they'd probably had that copy forever trying to get rid of it. :)

> What B&N location were you at?

This was at a pretty new one in Grapevine, Texas.

I certainly can't claim it's _usual_ for B&N; only that it was true at
this particular one...
--
(reverse (concatenate 'string ··········@" "enworbbc"))
http://vip.hex.net/~cbbrowne/resume.html
From: Bijan Parsia
On Sat, 14 Apr 2001 ········@hex.net wrote:
[snip]
> > What B&N location were you at?
>
> This was at a pretty new one in Grapevine, Texas.
>
> I certainly can't claim it's _usual_ for B&N; only that it was true at
> this particular one...

In my area, there are three (easily accessible) B&Ns and they have
shifting competances. Recently one of them (the one in Cary, which always
was the leader in tech books) re-orged it's computer section and really
expanded it. I found a couple of copies of the Erlang book, the *Icon*
book, for pete's sake, a nigh complete Smalltalk selection, PAIP and the
other Norvig book, etc., etc. The other two stores vary (the Durham one
was really stinky for a while but has picked up a bit).

Now, Cary seems to get a lot of Research Triangle Park business, so I'm
not surprised that they work hard to have an interesting tech book
section. So a hint or two in the right places might yield good results.

Cheers,
Bijan Parsia.
From: Paolo Amoroso
On Sun, 08 Apr 2001 21:11:25 GMT, "Rev. Barabbas"
<········@thisdoesntexist.com> wrote:

> 	I have been looking for a good book or a web document on how to learn
> LISP. I already know PERL, C/C++, and JAVA 2 (along with others i.e.

Here are a few useful introductory online resources:

  Successful Lisp
  http://psg.com/~dlamkins/sl/contents.html

  Basic Lisp Techniques
  http://www.franz.com/resources/educational_resources/cooper.book.pdf

  Common Lisp: A Gentle Introduction to Symbolic Computation
  http://www.cs.cmu.edu:80/afs/cs.cmu.edu/user/dst/www/LispBook/index.html

Paolo
From: Ted Sandler
> I have been looking for a good book or a web document on how to learn
> LISP.... If someone could suggest a title or a URL of a document it
> would be very much appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Matt Yates

The _BEST_ intro to Lisp book I've found is Paul Graham's "ANSI Common
Lisp".  It's succinct AND comprehensive at the same time.  How many
books can claim that??!!!

Furthermore, it includes a nice quick reference section at the end which
makes it useful beyond the novice stage.  Check out this book before you
consider any others.

-ted

--
··········@att.net
From: Francis Leboutte
Ted Sandler <··········@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

>> I have been looking for a good book or a web document on how to learn
>> LISP.... If someone could suggest a title or a URL of a document it
>> would be very much appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Matt Yates
>
>The _BEST_ intro to Lisp book I've found is Paul Graham's "ANSI Common
>Lisp".  It's succinct AND comprehensive at the same time.  How many
>books can claim that??!!!
>
>Furthermore, it includes a nice quick reference section at the end which
>makes it useful beyond the novice stage.  Check out this book before you
>consider any others.
>
>-ted

I like the the one of Stephen Blade too, to speak about another recent book.
Check my web page for free books on the web.

--
Francis Leboutte  www.algo.be  +32-(0)4.388.39.19
From: Francis Leboutte
Francis Leboutte <··········@algo.be> wrote:

>..
>I like the the one of Stephen Blade too, to speak about another recent book.
>Check my web page for free books on the web.

Sorry, it is Stephen Slade , Object-Oriented Common Lisp, Prentice Hall

--
Francis Leboutte  www.algo.be  +32-(0)4.388.39.19
From: Francis Leboutte
"Klaus Momberger" <···············@yahoo.com> wrote:

>What do the experts reading this group think about "Lisp" by Winston & Horn
>?

Here is my opinion as an expert in single malt scotch:
- Lisp (3rd edition) is an excellent book
- Most of the Lisp and Scheme (pardon) books a very good or excellent
- I have thrown away only one of them (a Lisp one - don't remember it's title).
I have another (Lisp) one not that bad but with too many errors.
- the book that has the most impressed me is the book of S.Keene,
Object-Oriented Programming in Common Lisp (maybe because I have red it when I
was in Holidays in the South France and that I was new to OO).

--
Francis Leboutte  www.algo.be  +32-(0)4.388.39.19
From: Bob Bane
Francis Leboutte wrote:

> "Klaus Momberger" <···············@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> >What do the experts reading this group think about "Lisp" by Winston & Horn
> >?
>
> Here is my opinion as an expert in single malt scotch:
> - Lisp (3rd edition) is an excellent book
> - Most of the Lisp and Scheme (pardon) books a very good or excellent
> - I have thrown away only one of them (a Lisp one - don't remember it's title).
> I have another (Lisp) one not that bad but with too many errors.

One advantage to using a minority langauge is that the books tend to be
written by people who actually know something, as opposed to trying to
find something useful in the wall of C++/Java books at your local
megastore.

I have thrown away only three Lisp-related books, ever:

CLtL1, because my copy was falling apart and I had a new CLtL2.

The first edition of CommonLISPCraft (Wilensky), because it was
apparently a quick redo of his original LISPCraft and still had a lot of
Franz Lispisms in it.  The second edition was much improved.

A skinny little monograph book entitled "Lisp for FORTRAN Programmers".
Anyone else remember this atrocity?  Its cover was decorated with coils
of paper tape, and it showed you how you could write programs in Lisp
using PROG, GO, SETQ and RPLAC{AD}.  I was forced to buy it as an
undergrad, and it put me off Lisp until my second year of graduate
school.

--
Remove obvious stuff to e-mail me.
Bob Bane
From: Tim Bradshaw
Francis Leboutte <··········@algo.be> writes:

> Here is my opinion as an expert in single malt scotch:
> - Lisp (3rd edition) is an excellent book
> - Most of the Lisp and Scheme (pardon) books a very good or excellent
> - I have thrown away only one of them (a Lisp one - don't remember it's title).
> I have another (Lisp) one not that bad but with too many errors.
> - the book that has the most impressed me is the book of S.Keene,
> Object-Oriented Programming in Common Lisp (maybe because I have red it when I
> was in Holidays in the South France and that I was new to OO).

But none of these can compare with a good Caol Ila.

--tim
From: Francis Leboutte
Tim Bradshaw <···@tfeb.org> wrote:

>Francis Leboutte <··········@algo.be> writes:
>

>> Here is my opinion as an expert in single malt scotch:
>> - Lisp (3rd edition) is an excellent book
>> - Most of the Lisp and Scheme (pardon) books a very good or excellent
>> - I have thrown away only one of them (a Lisp one - don't remember it's title).
>> I have another (Lisp) one not that bad but with too many errors.
>> - the book that has the most impressed me is the book of S.Keene,
>> Object-Oriented Programming in Common Lisp (maybe because I have red it when I
>> was in Holidays in the South France and that I was new to OO).
>>

>But none of these can compare with a good Caol Ila.

H�h�! Impossible to miss one's shot in such a fine place.

--
Francis Leboutte  www.algo.be  +32-(0)4.388.39.19