From: Jeroen Valcke
Subject: lisp wait function
Hello,

I searched around but can't found this.
Is there a wait function in (common) lisp?
My program needs to check if a file already exists but I want it to
check only after x seconds.
How do I implement this, there must be some kind of wait function, not?

Thanks

From: Rahul Jain
Subject: Re: lisp wait function
In article <·················@valcke.com> on Wed, 04 Apr 2001 02:53:10
-0500, "Jeroen Valcke" <······@valcke.com> wrote:

> I searched around but can't found this. Is there a wait function in
> (common) lisp? My program needs to check if a file already exists but I
> want it to check only after x seconds. How do I implement this, there
> must be some kind of wait function, not?

it's called SLEEP. look it up in your friendly neighboorhood CL
reference. basically, pass it one parameter of how many seconds you want
to sleep, which can be a fraction.

--
-> -/-                       - Rahul Jain -                       -\- <-
-> -\- http://linux.rice.edu/~rahul -=- ·················@usa.net -/- <-
From: Raymond Wiker
Jeroen Valcke <······@valcke.com> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I searched around but can't found this.
> Is there a wait function in (common) lisp?
> My program needs to check if a file already exists but I want it to
> check only after x seconds.
> How do I implement this, there must be some kind of wait function, not?

        There is a (standard) function called "sleep" that may fit your
needs.

--
Raymond Wiker
·············@fast.no
From: Francis Leboutte
Jeroen Valcke <······@valcke.com> wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I searched around but can't found this.
>Is there a wait function in (common) lisp?
>My program needs to check if a file already exists but I want it to
>check only after x seconds.
>How do I implement this, there must be some kind of wait function, not?

Sleep!
Sleep is the ANSI CL function. I your Lisp has a multiprocessing extension you
should look for something that fit better your task

--
Francis Leboutte  www.algo.be  +32-(0)4.388.39.19
From: Espen Vestre
Jeroen Valcke <······@valcke.com> writes:

> How do I implement this, there must be some kind of wait function, not?

in addition to the simple sleep, look for something called e.g.
mp:process-wait, which exists in most multithreading lisps.
--
  (espen)