From: Kenny Tilton
Subject: Lisp "Help Wanted" and package/fasl help sought
I want to share some Garnet-like stuff I have been developing for a few
years, and was thinking I would do so by cobbling together a package
with the core stuff and distributing it in FASL form for folks to play
with and use in a distance-learning tutorial dialogue with myself,
possibly leading to employment for those so inclined:

   http://franz.com/careers/jobs/outside/tekwood.00.8.4.php3

I intend eventually to ramp up my stuff (I call it Semaphors) to fill
the vacuum left by Garnet being Unsupported. I did not actually play
with Garnet, so I will not attempt a comparison. I did observe scary
similarities in syntax, scary since I was ignorant of Garnet until I
went looking for prior art.

gettign back to FASLs and packages...MCL offers a function (forget the
name) to concatenate a bunch of FASLs (or PFSLs) into one, but ACL does
not. So...what do I do, make a FASL out of some source that is hardcoded
to load the other FASLs, then distribute all the separate files?

mind you I am not real strong on packages anyway so feel free to slap me
around as necessary to get me on track. :)

come to think of it, I could just make an ACL project which loads all
the FASLs and then let people include that project in their tutorial
projects, pretty much the way I work now.... anyway, guidance
appreciated.

kenny tilton
vp, isd
clinisys

From: David Mittman
Subject: Re: Lisp "Help Wanted" and package/fasl help sought
In article <·················@nyc.rr.com>, Kenny Tilton
<·······@nyc.rr.com> wrote:

> gettign back to FASLs and packages...MCL offers a function (forget the
> name) to concatenate a bunch of FASLs (or PFSLs) into one, but ACL does
> not. So...what do I do, make a FASL out of some source that is hardcoded
> to load the other FASLs, then distribute all the separate files?

In ACL, try excl:concatenate-system. It does what you describe, using a
system definition to locate the fasl files.

David Mittman, MS 264-767                           ·······@jpl.nasa.gov
Jet Propulsion Laboratory                           Voice:  818-393-1091
4800 Oak Grove Drive                                Fax:    818-393-4426
Pasadena, California 91109-8099                     Pager:  818-541-3015
From: David J. Cooper

> gettign back to FASLs and packages...MCL offers a function (forget the
> name) to concatenate a bunch of FASLs (or PFSLs) into one, but ACL does
> not.

Kenny,

With ACL, you can simply cat the files together in the proper order to
create one large fasl. If you want to do it purely in CL rather than
with the Unix cat command, Franz Inc. provides a short function
"copy-files-to" in their cl-http port which does this (it's probably
also there in allegroserve).

 -dave

--
David J. Cooper Jr, Chief Engineer	Genworks International
·······@genworks.com			5777 West Maple, Suite 130
From: Francis Leboutte
·······@genworks.com (David J. Cooper) wrote:

>Kenny Tilton <·······@nyc.rr.com> writes:
>>
>> gettign back to FASLs and packages...MCL offers a function (forget the
>> name) to concatenate a bunch of FASLs (or PFSLs) into one, but ACL does
>> not.
>>

>Kenny,
>
>With ACL, you can simply cat the files together in the proper order to
>create one large fasl. If you want to do it purely in CL rather than
>with the Unix cat command, Franz Inc. provides a short function
>"copy-files-to" in their cl-http port which does this (it's probably
>also there in allegroserve).

With ACL I use the following :

(defun concat-files-fast (files to)
  (let ((buffer (make-array 2048 :element-type '(unsigned-byte 8))))
    (with-open-file (out to :direction :output
                         :if-exists :supersede
                         :element-type '(unsigned-byte 8))
      (dolist (file files)
        (with-open-file (in file :element-type '(unsigned-byte 8))
          (do ((bytes (read-sequence buffer in)
                      (read-sequence buffer in)))
              ((zerop bytes))
            (write-sequence buffer out :start 0 :end bytes)))))))

--
Francis Leboutte
www.algo.be   +32-(0)4.388.39.19
From: Christopher J. Vogt
Kenny Tilton wrote:

> gettign back to FASLs and packages...MCL offers a function (forget the
> name) to concatenate a bunch of FASLs (or PFSLs) into one, but ACL does
> not. So...what do I do, make a FASL out of some source that is hardcoded
> to load the other FASLs, then distribute all the separate files?

I don't have a current copy of ACL, but my recollection is that there *is* something to do this.  Try (apropos 'concatenate-) and see if it turns up
something obvious.  I think this is associated with ACLs delivery stuff, so
maybe look in the delivery documentation and/or defsystem.