From: Irma
Subject: making a package
hi all...

I have some problem with creating my own package.
I already have a file that contains all the functions that I
need (lets say, headerFile), so I created another file to access
those functions. By using (make-package...) and (import...) that
works fine. However, I need to load the headerFile everytime I
want to create the package.

Is there anyway you can set up in the MCL to loads up the package
as soon as you open MCL? (so I don't have to load the headerFile
everytime I want to use it).

Thanks in advance...

--
***********************************
   {}   Irma Sumera

From: ·····@alum.mit.edu
Subject: Re: making a package
·······@cs.rmit.edu.au (Irma) writes:

> Is there anyway you can set up in the MCL to loads up the package as
> soon as you open MCL? (so I don't have to load the headerFile
> everytime I want to use it).

arn't there command-line options on starting MCL that let you load
files on startup?

Otherwise, most Lisps have default site init files, and you can put
that stuff there.  Sorry I don't know MCL, though.  I know for sure
that in LispWorks you can do this.

dave
From: Barry Margolin
In article <··············@cadet.dsl.speakeasy.net>,
 <·····@alum.mit.edu> wrote:
>·······@cs.rmit.edu.au (Irma) writes:
>
>> Is there anyway you can set up in the MCL to loads up the package as
>> soon as you open MCL? (so I don't have to load the headerFile
>> everytime I want to use it).
>
>arn't there command-line options on starting MCL that let you load
>files on startup?

MCL == Macintosh Common Lisp.  On a Macintosh, there is no command-line, so
how can there be command-line options?

>Otherwise, most Lisps have default site init files, and you can put
>that stuff there.  Sorry I don't know MCL, though.  I know for sure
>that in LispWorks you can do this.

And if it doesn't have a default init file, you can always start up a
session, load what you want, and then save a new image that has everything
loaded into it.

--
Barry Margolin, ······@genuity.net
Genuity, Burlington, MA
From: Rainer Joswig
In article <···············@burlma1-snr2>, Barry Margolin
<······@genuity.net> wrote:

> In article <··············@cadet.dsl.speakeasy.net>,
>  <·····@alum.mit.edu> wrote:
> >·······@cs.rmit.edu.au (Irma) writes:
> >
> >> Is there anyway you can set up in the MCL to loads up the package as
> >> soon as you open MCL? (so I don't have to load the headerFile
> >> everytime I want to use it).
> >
> >arn't there command-line options on starting MCL that let you load
> >files on startup?
>
> MCL == Macintosh Common Lisp.  On a Macintosh, there is no command-line, so
> how can there be command-line options?

Well, there is no command line. But there is something else.
The AppleEvent mechanism is being used (for example by the Finder)
to let the application know what files it should open on startup.
So either the user opens the applications with one or more file
(a selection of file icons onto the application icon or by
double-click on a selection of files) or a script/program starts
the application and tells the application what to do.

The AppleEvent mechanism is the base for the scripting engine
on the Mac. Many application have an extensive object-oriented
scripting interface, which can be used by an installed
script language (such as Apple's AppleScript) or by another
program sending AppleEvents. AppleScript is very Lispy, BTW.

MCL is both able to react to AppleEvents and to send AppleEvents.

> >Otherwise, most Lisps have default site init files, and you can put
> >that stuff there.  Sorry I don't know MCL, though.  I know for sure
> >that in LispWorks you can do this.
>
> And if it doesn't have a default init file, you can always start up a
> session, load what you want, and then save a new image that has everything
> loaded into it.

MCL usually loads an init file at start time. It's described
in the manual.

Yes, Image saving is another possibility. One would need to consult
the manual for some of the more advanced options, like customizing
the application's class, etc.

--
Rainer Joswig, Hamburg, Germany
Email: ·············@corporate-world.lisp.de
From: David Bakhash
Barry Margolin <······@genuity.net> writes:

> In article <··············@cadet.dsl.speakeasy.net>,
>  <·····@alum.mit.edu> wrote:
> >·······@cs.rmit.edu.au (Irma) writes:
> >
> >> Is there anyway you can set up in the MCL to loads up the package as
> >> soon as you open MCL? (so I don't have to load the headerFile
> >> everytime I want to use it).
> >
> >arn't there command-line options on starting MCL that let you load
> >files on startup?
>
> MCL == Macintosh Common Lisp.  On a Macintosh, there is no command-line, so
> how can there be command-line options?

there is a certain pestilence to your followup style.  Anyway, I
apologize that I didn't know they didn't have a command line.  It's
very hard to believe.  In light of Apple's recent tumbling, I should
be able to believe this more easily, I guess, but

Anyway, because I utterly despised your response and the condescending

tone in it, I did a tiny bit of research into Macs, and found that
there were many programs for Macs that were consoles and shells, and
that one of the most notable ones was called the Macintosh
Programmer's Workbench (which, if you're programming Common Lisp,
wouldn't be terribly surprising to find).

I'll also mention that the first time I loaded KDE on Linux, I
literally _couldn't_ figure out how to pop up a terminal.  They try to

make it so that you can do everything with the GUI.  And, indeed, you
can do a lot.  But the point is that a shell, a command window,
prompt, are just programs like any other.  If someone suggested
zipping up files on a Windows box, would you come out and say:

MS Windows == Microsoft Windows, which doesn't come with compression
software.  How can you compress files if you don't have compression
software?  [do you see what I mean about your style?]

dave
From: R Matthew Emerson
·····@alum.mit.edu writes:

> ·······@cs.rmit.edu.au (Irma) writes:
>
> > Is there anyway you can set up in the MCL to loads up the package as
> > soon as you open MCL? (so I don't have to load the headerFile
> > everytime I want to use it).
>
> Otherwise, most Lisps have default site init files, and you can put
> that stuff there.  Sorry I don't know MCL, though.  I know for sure
> that in LispWorks you can do this.

At start-up time, MCL will load a file named init.lisp in the folder
containing the MCL application.

--
Matt Emerson <···@grc.nasa.gov>
You rush a miracle man, you get rotten miracles.