From: The Glauber
Subject: Lisp books are hard to find
On the street where i work, in Schaumburg, just outside of Chicago IL
(USA),  there are 2 mega bookstores: Barnes & Noble, and Borders.
Readers from the US will recognize these 2 names, for sure.

I went to Borders yesterday and went to Barnes & Noble today, looking for
Lisp books. Do you know how many i found? Zero. Each had a couple of
introductory books on Scheme, but nothing on Lisp. The best i found was
a book with description of several programming languages, which had a
brief description of Emacs-lisp.

Recently i tried to buy a copy of "A Gentle Introduction to Symbolic
Programming" through an Internet book seller. After 2 weeks, they finally
cancelled my order, saying that the book was not available.

It didn't use to be like this. I bought my copy of Winston/Horn about 9
years ago in Barnes & Noble. At that time i was able to examine several
Lisp books and, for whatever reason, decided on that one.

I think there's just not enough shelf space to hold all the books about Java,
Microsoft certification and Visual Basic, without getting rid of the Lisp
books. :-(

glauber

--
Glauber Ribeiro
··········@my-deja.com    http://www.myvehiclehistoryreport.com

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

From: Paolo Amoroso
Subject: Re: Lisp books are hard to find
On Mon, 25 Sep 2000 22:16:56 GMT, The Glauber <··········@my-deja.com>
wrote:

> Recently i tried to buy a copy of "A Gentle Introduction to Symbolic
> Programming" through an Internet book seller. After 2 weeks, they finally
> cancelled my order, saying that the book was not available.

If you mean "Common Lisp: A Gentle Introduction to Symbolic Computation" by
David Touretzky, it's available online at:

  http://www.cs.cmu.edu:80/afs/cs.cmu.edu/user/dst/www/LispBook/index.html

> I think there's just not enough shelf space to hold all the books about Java,
> Microsoft certification and Visual Basic, without getting rid of the Lisp
> books. :-(

I suggest that you "mine" your local computer science/engineering
department's library in search for Lisp publications. Use the online
catalog to issue queries with keywords related to the language itself (e.g.
lisp, common lisp, clos, multiple dispatch, etc.) and well known
applications written in Lisp (babylon, document examiner, concordia,
notecards, joshua, etc.).

Paolo
From: ······@corporate-world.lisp.de
In article <············@nnrp1.deja.com>,
  The Glauber <··········@my-deja.com> wrote:

> Recently i tried to buy a copy of "A Gentle Introduction to Symbolic
> Programming" through an Internet book seller. After 2 weeks, they finally
> cancelled my order, saying that the book was not available.

Here in Hamburg/Germany several book stores have Lisp books.
I guess, the various Universities are the main reason
for that. Well, I usually call my favorite book store and
order my books. They also can tell me whether the book is
available, what the order status is, etc.

From: William Deakin
The Glauber wrote:
> On the street where i work, in Schaumburg, just outside of Chicago IL
> (USA),  there are 2 mega bookstores: Barnes & Noble, and Borders.
> Readers from the US will recognize these 2 names, for sure.
>
> I went to Borders yesterday and went to Barnes & Noble today, looking for
> Lisp books. Do you know how many i found? Zero.
This is interesting. The Borders in York has several books on lisp and
AI related topics (IIRC Winston and Horn, SICP, Russel and Norvig), a
couple of books on Haskell, the emacs programmers guide...

:) will
From: John Watton
In article <············@nnrp1.deja.com>,
  The Glauber <··········@my-deja.com> wrote:
> Recently i tried to buy a copy of "A Gentle Introduction to Symbolic
> Programming" through an Internet book seller. After 2 weeks, they
finally
> cancelled my order, saying that the book was not available.

That book is available in postscript and pdf form on the net at:

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs.cmu.edu/user/dst/www/LispBook/index.html

--
John Watton
Alcoa Inc.

From: ········@my-deja.com
There is a used book site on the web called www.abebooks.com, which is a
large consortium of small, independent bookdealers.  I did a search on
"Lisp", and it came up with 167 matches... Not only can you find hard to
find and out of print books, but prices can be VERY cheap.

(I have no affiliation with this site, but have used it successfully to
hunt down some Lisp books!!)

Dave Linenberg

...For example:

                 14.
                    Touretzky, D.S. Lisp: A Gentle Introduction to
Symbolic Computation
                    1984 Harper and Row NOTE OUR REASONABLE TWO-DOLLAR
SHIPPING CHARGE; very good cond. softcover . Bookseller Inventory # 411
                    Price: US$ 12.00 convert currency
                    Presented by Tim's Used Books, Inc., Provincetown,
MA, U.S.A.

From: The Glauber
In article <············@nnrp1.deja.com>,
  ········@my-deja.com wrote:
> There is a used book site on the web called www.abebooks.com, which is a
> large consortium of small, independent bookdealers.  I did a search on
> "Lisp", and it came up with 167 matches... Not only can you find hard to
> find and out of print books, but prices can be VERY cheap.

This is a great site!
It would have saved me US$30 if i had heard about it sooner... :-(
I usually use www.dealpilot.com to find the least expensive seller.
That's a good system too, but i'll remember to check abebooks
in the future.

'glauber

From: John Watton
In article <············@nnrp1.deja.com>,
  ········@my-deja.com wrote:
> There is a used book site on the web called www.abebooks.com, which >
...For example:

>                  14.
>                     Touretzky, D.S. Lisp: A Gentle Introduction to
> Symbolic Computation
>                     1984 Harper and Row NOTE OUR REASONABLE TWO-DOLLAR
> SHIPPING CHARGE; very good cond. softcover . Bookseller Inventory #
411
>                     Price: US$ 12.00 convert currency
>                     Presented by Tim's Used Books, Inc., Provincetown,
> MA, U.S.A.

That is not the most recent edition.  In 1990 a second edition was
published by a different publisher.

--
John Watton
Alcoa Inc.

From: Christopher Browne
In our last episode (Mon, 25 Sep 2000 22:16:56 GMT),
the artist formerly known as The Glauber said:
>I think there's just not enough shelf space to hold all the books about Java,
>Microsoft certification and Visual Basic, without getting rid of the Lisp
>books. :-(

I think there's a lot of truth to that.

It's not Lisp-specific "bigotry;" the local Borders has lost the "Other
Languages" section altogether, which also means that there are no
FORTRAN books, no COBOL books, and such.  Contrary to your experience,
no Scheme either.

Flip side: I only recently _started_ to see Peter Norvik's book PAIP
at B&N.
--
········@hex.net - <http://www.hex.net/~cbbrowne/>
"I visited  a company  that was doing  programming in BASIC  in Panama

From: John Wiseman
The Glauber <··········@my-deja.com> writes:

> On the street where i work, in Schaumburg, just outside of Chicago
> IL (USA), there are 2 mega bookstores: Barnes & Noble, and Borders.
> Readers from the US will recognize these 2 names, for sure.
>
> I went to Borders yesterday and went to Barnes & Noble today,
> looking for Lisp books. Do you know how many i found? Zero.

I've been to those particular stores, and they seem pretty much like
all the other Borders and B&Ns:

 * Barnes and Noble rarely has anything that is both technical and
   interesting, definitely never anything on Lisp.  It is a waste of
   time.

 * Borders has variously had Norvig's PAIP, Graham's books, the Slade
   book, The Little Lisper, the Wilensky book, Lisp in Small Pieces
   and probably some others.  Not all at the same time, but they
   rotate in and out.  I've been able to get nearly all my Lisp books
   from Borders, actually.

John Wiseman
From: Howard Ding
John Wiseman wrote:
> I've been to those particular stores, and they seem pretty much like
> all the other Borders and B&Ns:
>
>  * Barnes and Noble rarely has anything that is both technical and
>    interesting, definitely never anything on Lisp.  It is a waste of
>    time.
>
>  * Borders has variously had Norvig's PAIP, Graham's books, the Slade
>    book, The Little Lisper, the Wilensky book, Lisp in Small Pieces
>    and probably some others.  Not all at the same time, but they
>    rotate in and out.  I've been able to get nearly all my Lisp books
>    from Borders, actually.
>
> John Wiseman

This seems to vary from area to area.  Around here there's nary a Lisp
book to be found at Borders, but B&N has PAIP, SICP, Graham's two books,
AMOP, etc., although recently they've taken the Lisp books out of the
"other languages" section and scattered them about.  (Actually, I guess
they've mostly been moved to the AI section, but they're definitely not
together.

--
Howard Ding
······@worldnet.att.net
From: Larry Elmore
"The Glauber" <··········@my-deja.com> wrote in message
·················@nnrp1.deja.com...
> On the street where i work, in Schaumburg, just outside of Chicago IL
> (USA),  there are 2 mega bookstores: Barnes & Noble, and Borders.
> Readers from the US will recognize these 2 names, for sure.
>
> I went to Borders yesterday and went to Barnes & Noble today, looking for
> Lisp books. Do you know how many i found? Zero. Each had a couple of
> introductory books on Scheme, but nothing on Lisp. The best i found was
> a book with description of several programming languages, which had a
> brief description of Emacs-lisp.

I had better luck here in Dallas. I didn't find anything in Barnes & Noble,
but Borders had Paul Graham's "ANSI Common Lisp" and "Writing GNU Emacs
Extensions". Not any more, though -- I snagged both that day. :)

> I think there's just not enough shelf space to hold all the books about
Java,
> Microsoft certification and Visual Basic, without getting rid of the Lisp
> books. :-(

And Prolog, Haskell and anything else very far off the beaten track. I saw a
couple of Fortran books, 3-4 on COBOL, 2-3 on x86 assembler, 1 Ada 95 and
several Perl,  but not much else in the way of languages except for a lot on
C/C++. It's a pretty sad situation, really. There was one Java book that
caught my eye, though -- it was one of the thick ones with the prominent
title, "JAVA POOP". The front cover said "Java: Principles of
Object-Oriented Programming", but the spine said it better, I think ;-)

Larry
From: Imran Shah

> I went to Borders yesterday and went to Barnes & Noble today, looking for
> Lisp books. Do you know how many i found? Zero. Each had a couple of
> introductory books on Scheme, but nothing on Lisp. The best i found was
> a book with description of several programming languages, which had a
> brief description of Emacs-lisp.

I was pleasantly surprised when I found a number of Lisp books at
Microcenter. Perhaps you'd have better luck there. Amazon.com also has a
good selection.

Imran Shah
Denver, CO
From: Xenophon Fenderson the Carbon(d)ated

    Imran> I was pleasantly surprised when I found a number of Lisp
    Imran> books at Microcenter. Perhaps you'd have better luck
    Imran> there. Amazon.com also has a good selection.

Me too.  I bought AMOP at Microcenter, and of all places I didn't
expect to see such a rich programming languages section as I saw
there.  Their used books are usually worth a browse, as well.

--
UN-altered reproduction and DISSEMINATION of this IMPORTANT information is
ENCOURAGED
From: Larry Elmore
"Imran Shah" <····@nobody.com> wrote in message
······················@uswestmail.net...

> > I went to Borders yesterday and went to Barnes & Noble today, looking
for
> > Lisp books. Do you know how many i found? Zero. Each had a couple of
> > introductory books on Scheme, but nothing on Lisp. The best i found was
> > a book with description of several programming languages, which had a
> > brief description of Emacs-lisp.
>
> I was pleasantly surprised when I found a number of Lisp books at
> Microcenter. Perhaps you'd have better luck there. Amazon.com also has a
> good selection.

I was very pleasantly surprised at the book section in the Dallas
Microcenter -- without a doubt the best computer book section I've ever
seen. Better than Borders or Barnes and Noble (here in Dallas, anyway), and
10-15% cheaper, too! They had several books each on Lisp and Scheme, as well
as some on Haskell, ML, and even one I don't remember hearing of before --
Godel (logic programming, of course).

Larry
From: henk van der knaap
On Thu, 5 Oct 2000, Imran Shah wrote:

> > I went to Borders yesterday and went to Barnes & Noble today, looking for
> > Lisp books. Do you know how many i found? Zero. Each had a couple of
> > introductory books on Scheme, but nothing on Lisp. The best i found was
> > a book with description of several programming languages, which had a
> > brief description of Emacs-lisp.
>
> I was pleasantly surprised when I found a number of Lisp books at
> Microcenter. Perhaps you'd have better luck there. Amazon.com also has a
> good selection.
>
> Imran Shah
> Denver, CO

Dear Sir,

Go to 		www.abebooks.com   or
		www.powells.com

Many secondhand bookdealers have put their stock database online. I have
picked up some very good bargains. I bought Guy Steele's book for only
$12.00US a couple of weeks ago.

Regards

Henk

 _                _

I am happily using Debian 2.2 Linux as my operating system.

Henk van der Knaap,
92 Halswell Junction Road,
Christchurch-3,
New Zealand