From: David Bakhash
Subject: Lisp poetry (where?)
Where can I find some Lisp poems?  web searches have come up empty for
me.

dave

From: Tim Bradshaw
Subject: Re: Lisp poetry (where?)
* David Bakhash wrote:
> Where can I find some Lisp poems?  web searches have come up empty for
> me.

Someone stole the hardcopy of this that was one of my last remaining
printouts from a dmachine.  They will be punished in the next world.

I have another dmachine-related poem somewhere but I think only on
paper.

* Lisp Hacker
  (Tony Simons, LEPS '87)
  (Sung to the tune of *Sledge Hammer*, by Peter Gabriel)
  ... dedicated to the memory of DWIM, the programmer's assistant

You could have a workstation
If you'd just lay down the Vax.
You could have a floating point, floating
If you'd send your Symbolics back.
All you do is call me...
I'll do anything you need.

You could have spaghetti stacks,
Going up and down, all around the bends.
You could have a break package, breaking...
This amusement never ends!!

I want to be ... your lisp hacker.
Why don't you call me by name?
Oh let me be ... your lisp hacker.
I'll do anything you mean (Yeah! ... Yeah!)

Show me round your program,
'Cause I will be your honey bee
Buzzing round your bonmnet,
Fixing all your code where it seems right to me.
Don't mind if you can't spell it...
I'll do anything you mean.

You could have CONDitionals for CONNect;
I could change your variable names.
I could lock you in the default directory,
Catch me if you can, I just love these games!

I want to be ... your lisp hacker.
Why don't you call me by name?
You better call ... the lisp hackler.
Do what I mean for a change.
I want to be ... your lisp hacker.
Put your mind at rest.
I'm going to be ... the lisp hacker,
Let there be no doubt about it.

Lisp ... lisp ... lisp hacker.

I've kicked the habit (kicked the habit),
Shed my skin (shed my skin).
This is the new stuff (this is the new stuff),
I go dancing in (we go dancing in).
Oh, won't you call for me
And I will call for you;
Oh, won't you call for me
And I will call for you.
I've been loading the Lyric,
Been loading the Lyric.
Going to build that power,
Build, build up that power, hey! ...
From: David Bakhash
Tim Bradshaw <···@cley.com> writes:

> I have another dmachine-related poem somewhere but I think only on
> paper. [...]

This is kinda neat, but actually I was hoping for a poem that's
actually IN Lisp.

I guess that's even harder to find.

dave
From: Andy Smith
David Bakhash <·····@alum.mit.edu> writes:

> This is kinda neat, but actually I was hoping for a poem that's
> actually IN Lisp.

Maybe not exactly what you're looking for, but here's an adaption of
John Lennon's Imagine in Scheme (from
http://www.schemers.org/Miscellaneous/imagine.txt):

                           ((I m a g i n e)
                         (·······@cs.rice.edu)
                   (((Imagine there's no FORTRAN)
                       (It's easy if you try)
               (No SML below us) (Above us only Y)
              (Imagine all              the people)
             (Living for                their Chez))
          ((Imagine there's          no memory leaks)
                                 (It isn't hard to do)
                                  (Nothing to malloc(3)
                                        or free(3) for)
                                   (And no (void *) too)
                                 (Imagine all the people)
                                  (Living in parentheses))
                               ((You may say I'm a Schemer)
                                 (But I'm not the only one)
                             (I hope someday you'll join us)
                                   (And the world will be as
                            (lambda (f) (lambda (x) (f x)))))
                              ((Imagine those   continuations)
                             (I wonder              if you can)
                       (No need for              C or pointers)
                   (A brotherhood                        of Dan)
                    (Imagine all                      the people)
                    (GCing all                          the world))
               ((You may say                          I'm a Schemer)
              (But I'm not                              the only one)
         (I hope someday                                you'll join us)
        (And the world                                        will be as
    (lambda (f)                                     (lambda (x) (f x)))))))

    Andy
--
Andy Smith                                             ·····@cam.ac.uk
St John's College, Cambridge, CB2 1TP, UK               (07989) 453208