From: The Glauber
Subject: Compiling CLISP on AIX?
Hello,

sorry this is both CLISP and AIX specific,
but maybe there's somebody in this group who has done it.

I haven't been able to compile the latest CLISP  (2000-03-06) on AIX.
The configure script runs fine, but compilation eventually dies
when working on spvw_space.d (a C file, despite the name...).
It seems that the problem is here (line 140):

     for_each_page(page, {
        sum_used += page->page_end - page->page_start;
        sum_free += page->page_room;
      });

This is not valid C syntax
(unless they changed the language when i wasn't looking).

Has anybody been able to compile the most recent CLISP on AIX
(or other UNIXes)? There's a binary available, but it's for an older
version (9 September 1998).

Thanks,

glauber

--
Glauber Ribeiro
··········@my-deja.com    http://www.myvehiclehistoryreport.com

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

From: Philip Lijnzaad
Subject: Re: Compiling CLISP on AIX?
G> It seems that the problem is here (line 140):

G>      for_each_page(page, {
G>         sum_used += page->page_end - page->page_start;
G>         sum_free += page->page_room;
G>       });

G> This is not valid C syntax
G> (unless they changed the language when i wasn't looking).

for_each_page(a,b) is prolly a C macro; e.g. along the lines of

#define for_each_page(P,BLOCK) {Page _P; for(_P=P; _P!=NULL; _P=_P->next)BLOCK}

look for '^# *define *for_each_page' in *.{.a,h,c}

                                                                      Philip
--
When C++ is your hammer, everything looks like a thumb. (Steven Haflich)
Philip Lijnzaad, ········@ebi.ac.uk \ European Bioinformatics Institute,rm A2-24
From: ······@honolulu.ilog.fr
The Glauber <··········@my-deja.com> wrote:
> sorry this is both CLISP and AIX specific,
> but maybe there's somebody in this group who has done it.
>
> I haven't been able to compile the latest CLISP  (2000-03-06) on AIX.
> The configure script runs fine, but compilation eventually dies
> when working on spvw_space.d (a C file, despite the name...).
> It seems that the problem is here (line 140):
>
>     for_each_page(page, {
>        sum_used += page->page_end - page->page_start;
>        sum_free += page->page_room;
>      });

Thanks for reporting this. It's apparently a bug in the preprocessor
of the AIX C compiler. (I can reproduce it with AIX 4.2.0 and "xlc".)
Please use GNU gcc instead.

                   Bruno Haible        http://clisp.cons.org/
From: The Glauber
In article <············@honolulu.ilog.fr>,
  ······@honolulu.ilog.fr wrote:
[...]
> Thanks for reporting this. It's apparently a bug in the preprocessor
> of the AIX C compiler. (I can reproduce it with AIX 4.2.0 and "xlc".)
> Please use GNU gcc instead.

Thanks for the reply!

Unfortunately, i can't install gcc on this system. You wouldn't happen to
have an AIX binary resulting from your tests, would you?

From: Xenophon Fenderson the Carbon(d)ated

    The> Unfortunately, i can't install gcc on this system.

Unless the system administrator will come down hard on you (e.g. this
is a machine in production, in which case why are you trying to
compile Clisp here), you can download and install GCC into /tmp or
into your home directory, quotas permitting.

--
UN-altered reproduction and DISSEMINATION of this IMPORTANT information is
ENCOURAGED
From: The Glauber
In article <···············@lovecraft.irtnog.org>,
  ········@irtnog.org (Xenophon Fenderson the Carbon(d)ated) wrote:

>     The> Unfortunately, i can't install gcc on this system.
>
> Unless the system administrator will come down hard on you (e.g. this
> is a machine in production, in which case why are you trying to
> compile Clisp here), you can download and install GCC into /tmp or
> into your home directory, quotas permitting.

Quotas are one problem. The other problem is the investiment of time to get
GCC installed just so i can compile CLISP. It may happen, but it won't be
soon. The older binary seems to work OK (i don't know what bugs were fixed
and when they may bite). I was also hoping to be able to include the line
editing code.

Anyway, thanks.

glauber

From: The Glauber
In article <············@honolulu.ilog.fr>,
  ······@honolulu.ilog.fr wrote:
[...]
> Thanks for reporting this. It's apparently a bug in the preprocessor
> of the AIX C compiler. (I can reproduce it with AIX 4.2.0 and "xlc".)
> Please use GNU gcc instead.

All right. I found some unexpected free time and installed GCC 2.95.2
for the heck of it (the install doesn't take more than 4 hours...).
Anyway, i was able to compile CLISP using this version of gcc,
as long as i don't use -O2 or -O3 (it seems to be optimizing something
away if i use the extra optimization, but i don't have time to track what).

So, using
export CC="gcc -ansi"
export CFLAGS=""

do "./configure with_gcc"

Then go to the "with_gcc" directory it creates and edit the Makefile;
get rid of the -Wreturn-type option,

then do a make, make test, make install.

Thanks!

glauber

From: William Deakin
The Glauber wrote:
> Has anybody been able to compile the most recent CLISP on AIX
> (or other UNIXes)? There's a binary available, but it's for an older
> version (9 September 1998).
Hmmm. I've got clisp to compile under Linux and Solaris 2.6. Whether
Linux *is* a Unix'en is subject to debate in certain quarters however.

;)will