From: Christopher Browne
Subject: Re: programming blackjack
Centuries ago, Nostradamus foresaw a time when Brian Harvey would say:
>Sowmya <·······@uclink4.berkeley.edu> writes:
>>i'm trying to program blackjack in scheme .. can anyone help.. email
>>me..
>
>Sorry, folks -- another student who thinks instructors don't read
>newsgroups.  :-)  I'll deal with it.

The usual rule here is that homework assignments are _welcome_, so long
as the one requesting assistance provides the email address for the
class instructor.

That way we can submit the answers directly, eliminating the
middlecritter, and guaranteeing that proper academic credit is assigned.

The other alternative involves charging the "low low daily consulting
rates" that allows a less restrictive license.  $100 USD/hour, minimum
advance of two days worth of billings.  This prepares the gentle student
for a future of needing to pay consultants to do their technical work
for them.

Both of these alternatives usually prove daunting to most students
that thought they could find someone to do their assignments.  :-)

Cheers!
--
········@acm.org - <http://www.hex.net/~cbbrowne/linux.html>
Evil Overlords tend to get overthrown due to making some downright
From: Immanuel Litzroth
········@hex.net (Christopher Browne) wrote in
<·······················@knuth.brownes.org>:

>Centuries ago, Nostradamus foresaw a time when Brian Harvey would say:
>>Sowmya <·······@uclink4.berkeley.edu> writes:
>>>i'm trying to program blackjack in scheme .. can anyone help.. email
>>>me..
>>
>>Sorry, folks -- another student who thinks instructors don't read
>>newsgroups.  :-)  I'll deal with it.
>
>The usual rule here is that homework assignments are _welcome_, so long
>as the one requesting assistance provides the email address for the
>class instructor.
>
>That way we can submit the answers directly, eliminating the
>middlecritter, and guaranteeing that proper academic credit is assigned.
>
>The other alternative involves charging the "low low daily consulting
>rates" that allows a less restrictive license.  $100 USD/hour, minimum
>advance of two days worth of billings.  This prepares the gentle student
>for a future of needing to pay consultants to do their technical work
>for them.
>
>Both of these alternatives usually prove daunting to most students
>that thought they could find someone to do their assignments.  :-)
>
>Cheers!

Maybe she/he should pay professor Harvey directly, thus avoiding needless
paperwork, conserving natural resources and generally saving everybody a
lot of time. Should she/he get extra credit for coming up with such a
brilliant solution?
Immanuel