From: israel t
Subject: Advice needed. Continuing Scheme by distance education for a 13  year old.
On 16 Sep 2000 05:10:32 GMT, ··@anarres.CS.Berkeley.EDU (Brian Harvey)
wrote:

><advt>
>Sure!  It's called _Simply Scheme_ by Brian Harvey and Matthew Wright.
>See http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~bh
></advt>

I looked at your web page and I notice that you have a strong interest
in undergraduate education. Perhaps you could give me some advice:
My 13 year old son is working his way through "Scheme and the art of
programming" ( using DrScheme ) . The idea is that once he does that,
he should be able to tackle at least parts of SICP.

I would like him to do a first year undergraduate level course by
distance education sometime next year ( along with his high school
work ). I was planning to have him do
http://www.extend.indiana.edu/courses/csci/cscic211/title.htm
"C211X Introduction to Computer Science (4 cr.)
A first course in computer science for those intending to take
advanced computer science courses.  Introduction to programming and to
algorithm design and analysis. Using the SCHEME programming language,
the course covers several programming paradigms. "

However, this is essentially based on  "Scheme and the art of
programming"  and looks like it will just be a rehash of the material
he is learning this year.
Do you have any suggestions regarding a suitable course for him. Does
Berkeley offer any for credit course that he could continue into ?

I would be grateful for any suggestions.

"The Torah is written in black fire inscribed upon white fire - fire mixed with fire, hewn out of fire
and given from fire."
From: Brian Harvey
israel t <·······@optushome.com.au> writes:
>Do you have any suggestions regarding a suitable course for him. Does
>Berkeley offer any for credit course that he could continue into ?

I replied to this by email, saying we do have suitable courses but
don't usually do distance learning arrangements.  Anywhere else
want a shot?