From: John Childress
Subject: Symbolics Lisp
I am looking to port a commercial development tool from a Symbolics
platform to one that is currently supported.  I have access to the PC
environment as well as Alpha workstations.  If anyone is aware of an
appropriate emulation, input would be appreciated @
··········@link.com

Thanks,
John

From: Rainer Joswig
Subject: Re: Symbolics Lisp
In article <·················@link.com>, John Childress
<··········@link.com> wrote:

> I am looking to port a commercial development tool from a Symbolics
> platform to one that is currently supported.  I have access to the PC
> environment as well as Alpha workstations.  If anyone is aware of an
> appropriate emulation, input would be appreciated @
> ··········@link.com

Symbolics (www.symbolics.com) sells Open Genera, which is
running on DEC/DIGITAL/COMPAQ Alpha under their Unix OS.
Open Genera is an emulation of the Ivory
architecture and costs around $5000 per
machine (multiple running images allowed, includes most
of the source code).

--
Rainer Joswig, Hamburg, Germany
Email: ·············@corporate-world.lisp.de
From: John Childress
Thanks for your input.  The problem with that is that Symbolics is
terminating all support as of Oct 15 2000.  So I am not really willing to
drop 5k on a unsupported piece of software.  I am not clear as to their
business position but it doesn't look good from what I can tell.

John

From: Christopher Browne
Centuries ago, Nostradamus foresaw a time when John Childress would say:
>Thanks for your input.  The problem with that is that Symbolics is
>terminating all support as of Oct 15 2000.  So I am not really willing to
>drop 5k on a unsupported piece of software.  I am not clear as to their
>business position but it doesn't look good from what I can tell.

Urk.  That is _not_ encouraging.  I'd consider it a _dramatically_ dumb
idea to buy a license to this now if there is only to be another month
of support...

Is there any information on what they intend after that date?
--
········@hex.net - <http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/lisp.html>
HURRY UP PLEASE IT'S TIME
From: Rainer Joswig
In article <·······················@knuth.brownes.org>,
········@hex.net wrote:

> Centuries ago, Nostradamus foresaw a time when John Childress would say:
> >Thanks for your input.  The problem with that is that Symbolics is
> >terminating all support as of Oct 15 2000.  So I am not really willing to
> >drop 5k on a unsupported piece of software.  I am not clear as to their
> >business position but it doesn't look good from what I can tell.
>
> Urk.  That is _not_ encouraging.  I'd consider it a _dramatically_ dumb
> idea to buy a license to this now if there is only to be another month
> of support...
>
> Is there any information on what they intend after that date?

I don't think this is really true. A few days ago they were talking
about Open Genera 2.1.

Rainer Joswig

From: Rainer Joswig
In article <····························@news.is-europe.net>, Rainer
Joswig <······@corporate-world.lisp.de> wrote:

> > Urk.  That is _not_ encouraging.  I'd consider it a _dramatically_ dumb
> > idea to buy a license to this now if there is only to be another month
> > of support...

Official reaction: support is ***not*** going away. This was
a wrong information that has been posted here.

From: Martin Cracauer
John Childress <··········@link.com> writes:

>Thanks for your input.  The problem with that is that Symbolics is
>terminating all support as of Oct 15 2000.  So I am not really willing to
>drop 5k on a unsupported piece of software.  I am not clear as to their
>business position but it doesn't look good from what I can tell.

I'd say that's the best reason to get the software *now*, while you
still can (at least that's what I do for games that get off the market :-)

It's been on the market for quite a while, the bugs should be bearable
even without hope of getting them fixed.

Martin
--
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
Martin Cracauer <········@bik-gmbh.de> http://www.bik-gmbh.de/~cracauer/
From: Rainer Joswig
In article <············@counter.bik-gmbh.de>,
········@counter.bik-gmbh.de (Martin Cracauer) wrote:

> John Childress <··········@link.com> writes:
>
> >Thanks for your input.  The problem with that is that Symbolics is
> >terminating all support as of Oct 15 2000.  So I am not really willing to
> >drop 5k on a unsupported piece of software.  I am not clear as to their
> >business position but it doesn't look good from what I can tell.
>
> I'd say that's the best reason to get the software *now*, while you
> still can (at least that's what I do for games that get off the market :-)
>
> It's been on the market for quite a while, the bugs should be bearable
> even without hope of getting them fixed.

This was a false information. Support is still available.