From: Fernando Rodriguez
Subject: slightly OT: pdf and html from single source
Hi!

    Sorry for posting this here, but I would be delighted if there was some
CL (or scheme) based solution for this. Besides, CL seems like a great tool
for handling structured text, so there might be something available. O:-)

--------------------------------------
I'd like to produce, from a single markup source, targets: html pages, a chm
file (MS htmlhelp files) and pdf files, with different stylesheets, slightly
different content and conserving the internal and external links.

These would be long documents with a consistent look and features: a
standard way of displaying images (with caption and lowbandwith version for
html output, for example) or a link in all pdf pages in the right margin
that takes you to the next page, etc... Therefore, some scripting ability
(besides plain vanila markup) would be very useful.

Is there _any_ tool reasonably priced (even better: open source) that fits
this description? O:-)  Someone recomended framemaker or docbook + dssl, but
I'm not sure if framemaker is apropriate for long with a consistent look
documents (I don't need any artistic wysiwyg bells and whistles) and dssl
apparentely doesn't support pdf... :-?

Could someone please enlighten me? O:-)

TIA
---------------------------------------

From: Robert Pluim
Subject: Re: slightly OT: pdf and html from single source
"Fernando Rodriguez" <···@mindless.com> writes:

> Hi!
>
>     Sorry for posting this here, but I would be delighted if there was some
> CL (or scheme) based solution for this. Besides, CL seems like a great tool
> for handling structured text, so there might be something available. O:-)
>
> --------------------------------------
> I'd like to produce, from a single markup source, targets: html pages, a chm
> file (MS htmlhelp files) and pdf files, with different stylesheets, slightly
> different content and conserving the internal and external links.

Hmm, have you looked at:

http://www.cs.rice.edu/~dorai/tex2page/

It takes latex as input, and produces html. Tex can also be turned
into pdf, although I don't know how pretty the result is.

--
The above are my opinions,
 and my opinions only.
From: Andy Smith
Robert Pluim <······@bigfoot.com> writes:

> Tex can also be turned into pdf, although I don't know how pretty
> the result is.

With pdftex or dvipdf it's just as pretty or unpretty as it would be
in PostScript, although on-screen viewing of bitmapped fonts like
Computer Modern in PDF files seems to be uglier than with xdvi or
PostScript.  Best to use Type 1 fonts if you want to do that (or if
you just want nice fonts anyway :-).  The PDF output can also contain
hyperlinks, and I've seen PDF generated from LaTeX where all the items
in the contents page and references within the document are
hyperlinks, which is very cool but I'm not sure what you have to do to
generate that.

    Andy
--
Andy Smith                                             ·····@cam.ac.uk
St John's College, Cambridge, CB2 1TP, UK               (07989) 453208
From: Espen Vestre
"Fernando Rodriguez" <···@mindless.com> writes:

> I'd like to produce, from a single markup source, targets: html pages, a chm
> file (MS htmlhelp files) and pdf files, with different stylesheets, slightly
> different content and conserving the internal and external links.

I use LaTeX to write documentation which is converted to pdf with
pdftex and to html with hyperlatex. Hyperlatex is not only a converter,
but also a LaTeX package which lets you control the hypertext version
of your document in a nice way.

pdftex is now pre-installed with e.g. teTeX.
See http://www.cs.uu.nl/~otfried/Hyperlatex/ for information on hyperlatex.
--
  (espen)
From: Raffael Cavallaro
On the Mac platform, there's a printer driver called myrmidion that
prints to an html file. In other words, any document that can be
printed, can be converted to html with all formatting intact, because
this printer driver just formats the output for html instead of a
printed page.

http://www.terrymorse.com/products/myrmidon/tmminfo.html

has info on it, as well as link to a similar package for the Windows
platform.

So, you could create your source documents in .pdf, and then print them
using this printer driver, yielding essentially identical html pages.

Of course, we don't really know what sorts of documents you'll be doing,
and whether any other web features are intended (javascript, java
applets, etc.) If so, then using .html source might be preferable.

Raf

--

Raffael Cavallaro, Ph.D.
·······@mediaone.net
From: Chris Double
"Fernando Rodriguez" <···@mindless.com> writes:

> Is there _any_ tool reasonably priced (even better: open source)
> that fits this description? O:-) Someone recomended framemaker or
> docbook + dssl, but I'm not sure if framemaker is apropriate for
> long with a consistent look documents (I don't need any artistic
> wysiwyg bells and whistles) and dssl apparentely doesn't support
> pdf... :-?

I use XSL and Simplified Docbook to generate html and pdf from my
source xml documents. I believe that simplified docbook comes with
stylesheets for htmlhelp and others as well. I use FOP for the XSL-FO
engine to convert to PDF.

FOP: http://xml.apache.org/fop/index.html
Simplified Docbook: http://www.nwalsh.com/

Chris.
--
http://www.double.co.nz/cl
From: Jeff Sandys
Fernando Rodriguez wrote:
> Hi!
<snip>
> --------------------------------------
> I'd like to produce, from a single markup source, targets: html
> pages, a chm file (MS htmlhelp files) and pdf files, with
> different stylesheets, slightly different content and conserving
> the internal and external links.
<snip>
> TIA
> ---------------------------------------

We use a little python application for our online documentation.
Pdx makes HTML and LaTeX files from a simple markup file with
article style sheets.  See the Pdx package at this site:
	http://www.seanet.com/~hgg9140/comp/index.html
I don't know what it would take to add chm and pdf to Pdx,
Contact the page owner (Harry George) for more info.

Thanks,
Jeff Sandys
From: Johannes Beck
"Jeff Sandys" <·······@asme.org> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
·····················@asme.org...
> Fernando Rodriguez wrote:
> > Hi!
> <snip>
> > --------------------------------------
> > I'd like to produce, from a single markup source, targets: html
> > pages, a chm file (MS htmlhelp files) and pdf files, with
> > different stylesheets, slightly different content and conserving
> > the internal and external links.
> <snip>
> > TIA
> > ---------------------------------------
>
> We use a little python application for our online documentation.
> Pdx makes HTML and LaTeX files from a simple markup file with
> article style sheets.  See the Pdx package at this site:
> http://www.seanet.com/~hgg9140/comp/index.html
> I don't know what it would take to add chm and pdf to Pdx,
> Contact the page owner (Harry George) for more info.
>
> Thanks,
> Jeff Sandys

Hello,

maybe you find this product useful: SchemaText of a german company named
Schema (http://www.schema.de/sitehtml/site-e/products.htm)

As far as I know this product is implemented in CL and the HTML-Version of
the ANSI CL spec included in Allegro CL has been produced with this tool.
Maybe anyone from Franz can correct me if this is wrong.

I'm not a user or anyhow involved with this company.

Bye
    Joe