From: Fernando Rodriguez
Subject: Latte equivalent in CL?
Hi!

    Is there something equivalent to latte (latte.org) implemented in CL?
O:-)
TIA

From: David Bakhash
Subject: Re: Latte equivalent in CL?
"Fernando Rodriguez" <···@mindless.com> writes:

> Is there something equivalent to latte (latte.org) implemented in CL?

To my best knowledge, no, but I definitely like latte better than
HTML.  I think your best bet is to just take the off-the-shelf latte
libraries (in C), and write a little multi-threaded server on top of
it, and just shove all your latte stuff to it and then read back the
post-processed HTML.  That could work very fast if it's all done on
the same computer.  I think this would work pretty well.  Then, you
can just have a special CLOS-based stream type that handles the latte
conversion in a hidden way, or whatever.  It shouldn't be that hard.
I'm sure the latte->html is fast as hell.

dave
From: Dorai Sitaram
In article <·················@m2newsread.uni2.es>,
Fernando Rodriguez <···@mindless.com> wrote:
>    Is there something equivalent to latte (latte.org) implemented in CL?

I don't know what particular aspect of Latte you want
in CL, but you could take a look at
http://www.cs.rice.edu/~dorai/tex2page .  tex2page
runs in CL and (re)uses TeX as an input format
to produce HTML output.  It allows full CL as an
extension language (in addition to TeX) for its input
format.

--d
From: David Bakhash
····@goldshoe.gte.com (Dorai Sitaram) writes:

> In article <·················@m2newsread.uni2.es>,
> Fernando Rodriguez <···@mindless.com> wrote:
> > Is there something equivalent to latte (latte.org) implemented in
> > CL?

> I don't know what particular aspect of Latte you want in CL, but you
> could take a look at http://www.cs.rice.edu/~dorai/tex2page .
> tex2page runs in CL and (re)uses TeX as an input format to produce
> HTML output.  It allows full CL as an extension language (in
> addition to TeX) for its input format.

this is pretty neat, and looking at the code I could tell it was
generated code, probably from Scheme (am I right?).

It might be useful to mention that there are other *2html tools out
there, like latex2html (which is what most people use when putting
their work on-line).  I think there's a very popular one (that I've
used) written in Perl, and it seemed to do the trick.

Another thing worth mentioning here is that latte/LaTeX style is not
the only alternative you have to writing something that expands into
HTML without writing HTML.  For example, if you look at AllegroServe
at http://allegroserve.sourceforge.net you'll see a Lisp-like way to
do it.  I'd be difficult to believe that any of these things really
get heavy math stuff right (though latex2html just turns the formulas
into graphics, and then inlines them).

dave
From: Dorai Sitaram
David Bakhash  <·····@alum.mit.edu> wrote:
>····@goldshoe.gte.com (Dorai Sitaram) writes:
>> Fernando Rodriguez <···@mindless.com> wrote:
>> > Is there something equivalent to latte (latte.org) implemented in
>> > CL?
>
>> I don't know what particular aspect of Latte you want in CL, but you
>> could take a look at http://www.cs.rice.edu/~dorai/tex2page .
>> tex2page runs in CL and (re)uses TeX as an input format to produce
>> HTML output.  It allows full CL as an extension language (in
>> addition to TeX) for its input format.
>
>this is pretty neat, and looking at the code I could tell it was
>generated code, probably from Scheme (am I right?).

Yes, a program called scm2cl (loc cit)
translates the Scheme original into CL.

>It might be useful to mention that there are other *2html tools out
>there, like latex2html (which is what most people use when putting
>their work on-line).  I think there's a very popular one (that I've
>used) written in Perl, and it seemed to do the trick.

True.  I figured he wanted some Lispy programmability,
based on how and where he asked his question.  Latte
provides this by creating a new language that looks
like TeX (tokenwise) but behaves like a Dylanized
Scheme.  tex2page is more like LaTeX2HTML in that it
reads a preexisting format instead of requiring
a new one, but it too provides Lispy programmability
-- by allowing its user to reach down into its own
Lisp implementation.

--d