From: Joachim De Beule
Subject: lisp performance
Hi There,

To for once and for all convince my colleauges (and hopefully some
other people as well) about LISP beeing _the_ language to use (anyway,
at least I would like to kill some old myths) I am planning to make me
a website concerning LISP-performance.

If anyone can point me to interesting articles/sites/whatever, please
let me know ! thanks !

Joachim.

From: Joachim De Beule
Subject: Re: lisp performance
if someone knows about projects or whatever where lisp was used,
please let me know to.

thanks again, Joachim.
From: LaP - Laurent PERON
Joachim De Beule wrote:

> if someone knows about projects or whatever where lisp was used,
> please let me know to.

You should find a couple of examples on http://www.franz.com/
in the "success stories" section.
--
"... By the grace of God Almighty
 And the pressures of the market place
From: Rainer Joswig
In article <··············@arti6.vub.ac.be>, Joachim De Beule
<·······@arti.vub.ac.be> wrote:

> Hi There,
>
> To for once and for all convince my colleauges (and hopefully some
> other people as well) about LISP beeing _the_ language to use (anyway,
> at least I would like to kill some old myths) I am planning to make me
> a website concerning LISP-performance.

Just an idea: Why not make http://www.lisp.org/table/contents.htm
an even better place and add information there, where needed...

--
Rainer Joswig, Hamburg, Germany
Email: ·············@corporate-world.lisp.de
From: R Matthew Emerson
Rainer Joswig <······@corporate-world.lisp.de> writes:

> In article <··············@arti6.vub.ac.be>, Joachim De Beule
> <·······@arti.vub.ac.be> wrote:
>
> > To for once and for all convince my colleauges (and hopefully some
> > other people as well) about LISP beeing _the_ language to use (anyway,
> > at least I would like to kill some old myths) I am planning to make me
> > a website concerning LISP-performance.
>
> Just an idea: Why not make http://www.lisp.org/table/contents.htm
> an even better place and add information there, where needed...

Although I don't get the chance work on www.lisp.org as much as I
would like to, I welcome contributions.

Please don't hesitate to send mail to ·········@alu.org with any
contributions, comments, or questions.

-matt
(ALU volunteer webmaster)

--
Matt Emerson <···@grc.nasa.gov>
Stay on target. Stay on target!
From: Paolo Amoroso
On 07 Sep 2000 10:27:02 +0200, Joachim De Beule <·······@arti.vub.ac.be>
wrote:

> at least I would like to kill some old myths) I am planning to make me
> a website concerning LISP-performance.
>
> If anyone can point me to interesting articles/sites/whatever, please
> let me know ! thanks !

Here is a relevant paper:

  "Floating Point Performance of Common Lisp"
  Christopher J. Vogt
  ACM SIGPLAN Notices 33(9), September 1998, page 103

By the way, I agree with Rainer that it would be better to make this
information available at the ALU site.

Paolo
From: Rainer Joswig
In article <····························@4ax.com>, Paolo Amoroso
<·······@mclink.it> wrote:

> On 07 Sep 2000 10:27:02 +0200, Joachim De Beule <·······@arti.vub.ac.be>
> wrote:
>
> > at least I would like to kill some old myths) I am planning to make me
> > a website concerning LISP-performance.
> >
> > If anyone can point me to interesting articles/sites/whatever, please
> > let me know ! thanks !
>
> Here is a relevant paper:
>
>   "Floating Point Performance of Common Lisp"
>   Christopher J. Vogt
>   ACM SIGPLAN Notices 33(9), September 1998, page 103

Well, there is always the classical book by RPG,
Performance and Evaluation of Lisp Systems.
Read the docs coming with CMUCL.
Read the chapter on optimization in Norvig's book
Paradigms of Artificial Intelligence Programming.

See also:

http://citeseer.nj.nec.com/boreczky93building.html
http://kmi.open.ac.uk/people/snw2/papers/prejudice/prejudice.html
http://www-eksl.cs.umass.edu/~westy/benchmark/
http://www-eksl.cs.umass.edu/~westy/benchmark/bench1.html

Well, if you would like to write something on Lisp, about
Lisp or with Lisp, it could already have been published:

http://www8.informatik.uni-erlangen.de/html/lisp/HISTK6.html

From: Paolo Amoroso
On Thu, 07 Sep 2000 21:12:25 +0200, Paolo Amoroso <·······@mclink.it>
wrote:

>   "Floating Point Performance of Common Lisp"
>   Christopher J. Vogt
>   ACM SIGPLAN Notices 33(9), September 1998, page 103

I forgot to add that the source code of the benchmarks--based on
Grabriel's--mentioned in the paper is available at:

  http://www.members.home.com/vogt/fft/

Paolo