From: Johann Hibschman
Subject: GCL tangent
"David Andreas Alderud" <·······@removethispart.student.vxu.se> wrote:
[about using GCL on Open/Free BSD]

Does anyone here know the status of GCL?  I remember looking at it a
few years ago and deciding that it was completely unsupported and that
no one was using it.  But I've seen a few messages about it recently,
so I'm left wondering.  Is it back under active development?  Is it
closer to ANSI than it was?

--J

--
Johann Hibschman                           ······@physics.berkeley.edu

From: Justin R. Smith
Subject: Re: GCL tangent
In article <··············@astron.berkeley.edu>, Johann Hibschman
<······@physics.berkeley.edu> wrote:

> "David Andreas Alderud" <·······@removethispart.student.vxu.se> wrote:
> [about using GCL on Open/Free BSD]
>
> Does anyone here know the status of GCL?  I remember looking at it a few
> years ago and deciding that it was completely unsupported and that no
> one was using it.  But I've seen a few messages about it recently, so
> I'm left wondering.  Is it back under active development?  Is it closer
> to ANSI than it was?
>
> --J

It still exists, but its main purpose seems to be to compile the Maxima
symbolic computation package. See http://www.ma.utexas.edu/users/wfs/maxima.html

Time blows wildly against my door       | Justin R. Smith
Stirring discarded sorrows      	| Department of Mathematics and
Like dead leaves of summers past        |     Computer Science
Memories of forgotten lore          	| Drexel University
Making way for new tomorrows         	| Philadelphia, PA 19104
New hopes, new fears,                   |
         and new ways that last         | Office: (215) 895-1847

c Justin R. Smith, March 14, 1994       | Fax:    (215) 895-1582

My home page: http://vorpal.mcs.drexel.edu
From: Marco Antoniotti
"Justin R. Smith" <······@mcs.drexel.edu> writes:

> In article <··············@astron.berkeley.edu>, Johann Hibschman
> <······@physics.berkeley.edu> wrote:
>
> > "David Andreas Alderud" <·······@removethispart.student.vxu.se> wrote:
> > [about using GCL on Open/Free BSD]
> >
> > Does anyone here know the status of GCL?  I remember looking at it a few
> > years ago and deciding that it was completely unsupported and that no
> > one was using it.  But I've seen a few messages about it recently, so
> > I'm left wondering.  Is it back under active development?  Is it closer
> > to ANSI than it was?
> >
> > --J
> >

> It still exists, but its main purpose seems to be to compile the Maxima
> symbolic computation package. See http://www.ma.utexas.edu/users/wfs/maxima.html

This is great news.

Cheers

--
NYU Bioinformatics Group			 tel. +1 - 212 - 998 3488