From: Frode Vatvedt Fjeld
Subject: New binary-types release
I just want to announce I've uptated my binary-types package, which is
a library for reading and writing raw "binary" files in lisp. Most
notably, I've removed/changed some of the really ugly parts of the
design (which I wrote as a lisp novice), so I now think the code can
be deemed "usable" by others.

Also note that the syntax of binary-type declarations is somewhat
changed. The syntax now mirrors that of DEFCLASS and DEFSTRUCT (by
BT:DEF-BINCLASS and BT:DEF-BINSTRUCT, respectively), so that you can
add binary read/write capability to such lisp objects by simply adding
binary-type slot-options, for example:

(def-signed raw-number 8 :big-endian) ; RAW-NUMBER is 64-bit signed integer
=> RAW-NUMBER

(def-binstruct raw-complex
  (real 0 :bt 'raw-number)
  (imag 0 :bt 'raw-number))
=> RAW-COMPLEX

(with-binary-file (stream "x.raw" :direction :output)
  (write-binary 'raw-complex stream #S(raw-complex :real 12 :imag 43)))
=> 16  ; wrote 16 octets

(with-binary-file (stream "x.raw" :direction :input)
  (read-binary 'raw-complex stream))
=> #s(raw-complex :real 12 :imag 43)
=> 16  ; read 16 octets

% hexdump -C x.raw
00000000  00 00 00 00 00 00 00 0c  00 00 00 00 00 00 00 2b |...............+|

--
Frode Vatvedt Fjeld

From: glauber
Subject: Re: New binary-types release
In article <··············@dslab7.cs.uit.no>,
  Frode Vatvedt Fjeld <······@acm.org> wrote:

> I just want to announce I've uptated my binary-types package, which is
> a library for reading and writing raw "binary" files in lisp. Most
> notably, I've removed/changed some of the really ugly parts of the
> design (which I wrote as a lisp novice), so I now think the code can
> be deemed "usable" by others.

Is it available for download somewhere?

Is it generic Common Lisp or implementation-specific?

glauber

--
Glauber Ribeiro
··········@my-deja.com    http://www.myvehiclehistoryreport.com

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.
From: Frode Vatvedt Fjeld

Duh.. <URL:http://www.cs.uit.no/~frodef/sw/binary-types/>

> Is it generic Common Lisp or implementation-specific?

It is supposed to be generic. I use ACL myself, but I've briefly
checked that it works in clisp and CMUCL.

--
Frode Vatvedt Fjeld